What's new

My Top Ten Blades

My top 10 right now.
The Russian blades I've tried just don't work for me.
However, I have discovered that many of my favorites are made in India

These are what work best for me (2023-10-08):

SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium (India)
Personna platinum- (Israel)
Personna platinum- (Germany)
Personna lab blue-(USA)
Personna Med. Prep. -(USA)
Gillette - 7 O'Clock - super platinum (India)
Gillette - 7 O'Clock - Permasharp Stainless (India)
Gillette 365 (India)
Laser ultra (India)
Aeterna super stainless (Sweden)

I have always liked Voshkod's. But their price has more than doubled. At under $10, they were a great "value menue" GSB type blade. Now they sell for more than the GSB's, close to $20/hundred.

If you like blades like Voshkod's and GSB, try the Treet King. They are normally about $16. Lately, they have been selling for under $10/hundred on Amazon, a great price on an excellent blade.

To me, they are quite similar to the Gillette 7-O'clock Black. But the Black's have really gone up in price and are now $32/100.
I have some Treet Kings, courtesy of a PIF from @Eric_75, and will put them next in the queue. :thumbsup:
My relationship with Voskhods has been interesting. I was anxious to try them because they have always been so highly recommended but my first few experiences with them weren't all that great. However, now I find them a very, very good blade, in my top tier but just not at the top. I put the Rapira Platinum Lux in the same category and so far they're easier to find and the price hasn't skyrocketed ... yet.
I haven't had the pleasure of trying any of the Gillette 7 O'Clock blades yet but hope to one of these days. I have so many good blades on hand now I don't need to rush to try new alternatives.

Last edited:
Five months into my deep foray of safety razor shaving, my favorite blades, not necessarily in order.

Personna USA Comfort Coated
Personna Platinum (Germany)/DOVO Platinum (Germany) white plastic flip---These Personna and DOVO platinums performed nearly identical. The difference is the price. Personna $28-$32USD for 200 vs. DOVO $58-$68USD for 100.
Ladas (Rus)
Permasharp (Rus)
Voskhod (Rus)
Derby Premium (Turk)
Bolzano Super Inox (Egypt) (new in my routine and liking them a lot so far)
Rapira Platinum Lux (Rus)
Shark Super Stainless (Egypt)
Personna USA Hospital Use (USA)

Nacet, Feather, Gillette 7'oclocks, GSB, Wizamet (Russian)---not enough experience these brands, Wizamet's will likely make my rotation.

I used to have blades from different brands, because I was trying to find what works for me and what not and after trying Nacet Stainless, I sold or gave away the rest of my blades to family members and friends. Nacet is one of the very few blades that works in both mild and aggressive razors and because of that, it's the only blade I have and use.

I used to have blades from different brands, because I was trying to find what works for me and what not and after trying Nacet Stainless, I sold or gave away the rest of my blades to family members and friends. Nacet is one of the very few blades that works in both mild and aggressive razors and because of that, it's the only blade I have and use.
My favorite as well. 🍺

Interesting. Reading thru- it appears you are either pretty much firmly in the Nacet/GSB/Platinum/Rapira camp or Personna….with one reviewer being fond of both types.
Nacet walks away with it all for me, but oddly, I have weeper issues with GSB. Out of everything I’ve tried, I can’t make a top ten- but do like Nacets, Gillette Plats, Rapira plats and Wizamets, but the Wizamet and Nacet seem so close to me I can’t see paying Wizamet prices or hunting them down.

Interesting. Reading thru- it appears you are either pretty much firmly in the Nacet/GSB/Platinum/Rapira camp or Personna….with one reviewer being fond of both types.

I find the Nacets similar to the PPI Perma-Sharp's. And The GSB's similar to the Personna Lab Blues.
the Wizamet and Nacet seem so close to me I can’t see paying Wizamet prices or hunting them down.

It has been a little while since I purchased my Wizamet's but I seem to recall paying just over $40 for 200. Same vendor many here were using. Pricing not out of line for a not commonly available popular blade.

Maybe they are in shorter supply now or vendor has gone south?

Nacet walks away with it all for me, but oddly, I have weeper issues with GSB. Out of everything I’ve tried, I can’t make a top ten- but do like Nacets, Gillette Plats, Rapira plats and Wizamets, but the Wizamet and Nacet seem so close to me I can’t see paying Wizamet prices or hunting them down.
I arrived at a very similar conclusion, felt that Nacets were the IT blade for me... until I tried Perma Sharps based on others lists who also liked Nacets.

Perma sharps seem to perform very similar to Nacets across all areas but just have a little extra oomph. Hard to describe but work great on every single razor I've tried.

If I were blindfolded, I doubt I could tell much difference between any of them either. They're all high quality blades.
Same here. I've used many PPI brands over the years, and I doubt that I could tell them apart in a blind test. To me, they are more or less the same blade in a different packs. To me, there is not much beyond small batch-to-batch variations that inevitably exist.

This is a great thread -- elusive subject matter.
I have plenty of experience, and have tried many blades over the longer term too. But I am hard pressed to list favourites, let alone ten of them, in ranked order.

But I have a question for you folks:
One blade that I can comfortably say is among my favourites, is the Gillette Rubie. I am baffled that so few of you even mention it. But for those of you who are somewhat familiar with the Rubie, I wonder what other blades you would say come closest to the performance of the Rubie?
And specifically, for those who know the Nacet and the Rubie:
how do these two compare? I have yet to try a Nacet, they are obviously very popular, so I am curious what blades they are closest to performance-wize..?
I could go on a long rant about other blades, but I am not going to here. But I have one more general question:
It appears that some Russian-made blades are getting harder to find (apart from the Polsilver Iridium which dissappeared altogether). So my question is, are you concerned that more Russian made blades are gradually dissappearing? And are you hording "Russian" blades for this reason ..?

This is a great thread -- elusive subject matter.
I have plenty of experience, and have tried many blades over the longer term too. But I am hard pressed to list favourites, let alone ten of them, in ranked order.

But I have a question for you folks:
One blade that I can comfortably say is among my favourites, is the Gillette Rubie. I am baffled that so few of you even mention it. But for those of you who are somewhat familiar with the Rubie, I wonder what other blades you would say come closest to the performance of the Rubie?
And specifically, for those who know the Nacet and the Rubie:
how do these two compare? I have yet to try a Nacet, they are obviously very popular, so I am curious what blades they are closest to performance-wize..?
I could go on a long rant about other blades, but I am not going to here. But I have one more general question:
It appears that some Russian-made blades are getting harder to find (apart from the Polsilver Iridium which dissappeared altogether). So my question is, are you concerned that more Russian made blades are gradually dissappearing? And are you hording "Russian" blades for this reason ..?
I've looked for Rubies with little to no luck. I happen to love Russian blades (as my list proves) but these have proven to be elusive. I have to be content with Astra SPs, Perma-Sharps, Nacets, Rapira Platinum Luxes and Voskhods.
And, yes, I confess I've done just a little bit of hoarding. Not enough to trigger a federal investigation or anything but I'm grabbing more than I usually would. ;)

Top Bottom