What's new

Help me find the BEST blade (or two or three)

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
While currently out of favor, I have close to a lifetime supply of my favorite Russian made blades:

Gillette 7O’Clock SE (yellow)
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Platinum
Astra SP

I rotate these one tuck at a time, through any razor, and with any soap. All are tossed after three shaves and they always perform well. For me, the second shave is the best with all of them, and they all start to tug on the third shave.

I used to dislike the Dorco ST300 blades, but somehow now they get along with me fine. If I get 5-7 good shaves from one I am happy.
That is exactly what happened with me, but I think it boiled down to the razor of choice. I won't use one in an open comb configuration, but that doesn't mean it won't work for others...more likely due to the open comb choices I have versus what others have, beard type, etc ad nasuem.
I see some posters ranting and raving about blades I have tried in the past from sample packs and think to myself they must be nuts, but if it works great for them there are obviously opther factors at play that I think sometimes we too easily discount when we think what works for us should fit inside the same box for everyone else.

We did a participation PIF in 2022 with the Schick Super Stainless Steel blades. I had tried most of the favorite modern blades but had no desire to try a vintage blade until then. Well, this is the best blade I've ever tried, before or since. Sharp, very smooth and, importantly if you're counting pennies, long lasting.
They're not super hard to find, and you can get them for cheaper than most premium new blades such as Personna lab blues, Gillette Silver Blues, Feather and Kai. (I just got 50 for $7 U.S. on a popular online auction site). The only downside is they'll get you wondering why so many current-production blades are so bad and short lived.

Derby premium is a better blade than the Derby Extra I have found.
Absolutely agree.

While I went through my phase of using Feathers in a Muhle Face-Eater, I now really prefer sharp-but-not-deadly blades in a mild to moderate razor.

My current fail-proof setup is Astra SP in a Parker Variant dialed to mid-range. However, I will no longer buy any Russian made products. I do have several hundred blades left from my bulk order, so I am set for a few years.

I read somewhere that Astras are now made in India. So this is still my top recommendation.

The other two blades that I find very similar to Astra SP are Derby Premium (not Extra) and Parker Platinum. Out of these two I'd pick Derby.

Most other blades I tried were either a little too sharp or a little too dull. If you absolutely want a sharp blade, Feathers are the best. Not only sharp but also smooth.

The great academic answer - it depends... on face, beard, last shave, razor, razor construction (same razor in brass, aluminum, stainless, titanium, copper (been testing Karve CBs, except no titanium) will shave differently), water, routine... That said, for what you want I'd look at Dorcos (Titans, Primes, 300s in that order), Treet Permasharps and 7 days, Permasharps, Wizamet Irridiums. Get a tuck of each and experiment. Oh, Derby USTA might work for you as well, though milder than others.

Like it or not, you have to experiment for yourself. There was a time when varieties of Derby or Shark seemed good enough for me. Then I got the "disease" and tried out everything from vintage to the most the obscure modern blades. Finally, I decided I would stop buying new types and just stick to a few faves and keep shaving with the ones I liked the very most that weren't ridiculously priced and space out the ones I did buy that did cost a lot more than usual.
Now I know I can get a decent shave with 90% of the blades, but indulge myself by rotating at most half a dozen types. Haven't tried any new types in at least 7 years. Just fill in holes in the ones I like.
It's your face. Do with it what you wish and can afford.

(I posted this as part of another thread, but I think it is getting lost because of that thread title)

As a newbie+++ (not brand new, but not nearly as experienced as many here), the "hunt" for the BEST or PERFECT or FOREVER blade seems elusive, confusing, and inundating as there are hundreds of blades/variations (e.g., Derby Professional and Derby Extra), plus the many iterations of different countries some blades have traveled (eg, Wilkinson Sword (at least 4 countries: England, Germany, China and I think I am missing one).

The point is that *I* am looking for a great blade for me. Naturally, the popular reply is "try out several and see what works for you; move up as you get more experienced" and so on. On the surface (more puns), this all makes sense. BUT BUT BUT, the # of blade permutations to tryout are overwhelming, and while some peopelk will steer you clear of, for example, Derby (see quote above), I find that is untrue (and unfair) to the blade and the new shaver/gentlman.

I DID try a Derby Extra 🙄 in Merkur 34c and the shave was VERY good. I did 3 passes, nice and slowly, carefully for a beginner (actually used FACE lather method, which I much prefer) and then I used my Vikings Emperor Meiji (adjusted to 3--OMG!!--using the "comb" side of that DE razor) using a Derby Extra (not same blade as in the Merkur--a fresh one in each). While some people may truly be horrified, the shave was incredibly close. So it took 4 passes? Meh. No biggie, I *assume* many of us here ENJOY (that is the point (more puns)) the time shaving often for aficionados and "hobbyists" such as us on here. (There are 260M Americans (I know we have International people here, too! 😀👍🏼) but only a sliver (more puns) are on here.

ANYWAY, The Derby Extra gets short shrift. It is an excellent blade when, perhaps, paired with the right razor. (And, of course, we know the basics:

Platinum in/on a blade helps maintain a sharp edge; Tungsten reduces corrosion; Chromium helps maintain sharpness and so on.

So while the Derby Extra that I used yesterday is not an Astra Superior Platihum (Green), Feather or Personna Platinum Chrome (just to name a few very popular brands/specs), it is a fantastic blde (very forgiving, great for sensitive skin/beginners; not great on coarse, so on), it is still a GREAT blade. (Sounds like I am defending it a bit!)

👉🏼 👉🏼 👉🏼 In any event, I AM curious to know that if you could only take THREE different blades to use for the rest of your life, what would it be? The more people that answer, the more informed and %%%s do make a difference in my book. I assume Feather will be on the list. 😍

Cheers; Happy New Year.
1. Kai Captain Milds- AC blade. Hands down: best coatings, best processes, Japanese quality. Tremendous

2. In DE my fav in production blades are: Bic CP, Gillette Platinum "Swedes" and Vietnam Gillette Super Thin Platinums (with Japanese Steel/Flag). Nothing else matches these in my experience. I have not tried 7 O'Clock Blacks though.

Also this: RayClem's Blade Evaluations - https://damnfineshave.com/thread-rayclem-s-blade-evaluations

(I posted this as part of another thread, but I think it is getting lost because of that thread title)

As a newbie+++ (not brand new, but not nearly as experienced as many here), the "hunt" for the BEST or PERFECT or FOREVER blade seems elusive, confusing, and inundating as there are hundreds of blades/variations (e.g., Derby Professional and Derby Extra), plus the many iterations of different countries some blades have traveled (eg, Wilkinson Sword (at least 4 countries: England, Germany, China and I think I am missing one).

The point is that *I* am looking for a great blade for me. Naturally, the popular reply is "try out several and see what works for you; move up as you get more experienced" and so on. On the surface (more puns), this all makes sense. BUT BUT BUT, the # of blade permutations to tryout are overwhelming, and while some peopelk will steer you clear of, for example, Derby (see quote above), I find that is untrue (and unfair) to the blade and the new shaver/gentlman.

I DID try a Derby Extra 🙄 in Merkur 34c and the shave was VERY good. I did 3 passes, nice and slowly, carefully for a beginner (actually used FACE lather method, which I much prefer) and then I used my Vikings Emperor Meiji (adjusted to 3--OMG!!--using the "comb" side of that DE razor) using a Derby Extra (not same blade as in the Merkur--a fresh one in each). While some people may truly be horrified, the shave was incredibly close. So it took 4 passes? Meh. No biggie, I *assume* many of us here ENJOY (that is the point (more puns)) the time shaving often for aficionados and "hobbyists" such as us on here. (There are 260M Americans (I know we have International people here, too! 😀👍🏼) but only a sliver (more puns) are on here.

ANYWAY, The Derby Extra gets short shrift. It is an excellent blade when, perhaps, paired with the right razor. (And, of course, we know the basics:

Platinum in/on a blade helps maintain a sharp edge; Tungsten reduces corrosion; Chromium helps maintain sharpness and so on.

So while the Derby Extra that I used yesterday is not an Astra Superior Platihum (Green), Feather or Personna Platinum Chrome (just to name a few very popular brands/specs), it is a fantastic blde (very forgiving, great for sensitive skin/beginners; not great on coarse, so on), it is still a GREAT blade. (Sounds like I am defending it a bit!)

👉🏼 👉🏼 👉🏼 In any event, I AM curious to know that if you could only take THREE different blades to use for the rest of your life, what would it be? The more people that answer, the more informed and %%%s do make a difference in my book. I assume Feather will be on the list. 😍

Cheers; Happy New Year.
Back in the day all I had was Gillette stainless steel blades that came in a white metal box with a red stripe on it they came in either 2 or five blade tins. That’s all you could get at your local Safeway or Rexall drugstore back in the day. So fast forward 40 years and we now have a infinite amount to choose from. My advice just pretend you only have one choice and use that every day for a month. Then switch. If I could get the old Gillette blades and they came in that white box I would be only using them; because that’s what I learned on and it was my only choice.

While currently out of favor, I have close to a lifetime supply of my favorite Russian made blades:

Gillette 7O’Clock SE (yellow)
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Platinum
Astra SP

I rotate these one tuck at a time, through any razor, and with any soap. All are tossed after three shaves and they always perform well. For me, the second shave is the best with all of them, and they all start to tug on the third shave.
Those are some of my favorites too.

I'm going thru the same process. A couple years ago I got a razor and sample blades. The Derby Extra were decent in the Maggard razor. They were horrible in the VB Emperor.
So far, I like the Gillette Platinum, the Wilkinson Sword, the Astra Platinum (didn't like the stainless version at all). I've still another 8 blades to go thru, and Lord, Shark SS and SC, and Feather are in the to be tested.

Grab any Russian made blade you can get for a reasonable price. Nacets are tops in my opinion.

1708466674892.jpeg

I always suggest to start with blades that the majority of people find to be the best. I'm talking about blades like Nacet Stainless, Perma-Sharp, Minora Stainless, BIC Chrome Platinum and Personna Lab Blue (or whatever they are called now). Not only are these blades amongst the top choices, but also are (at least for now) quite affordable and easy to find.

I don't want to sound like a blade snob, but I would avoid any non P&G Russian blades, Egyptian, Indian, Chinese, Pakistan as well as Korean and Vietnamese blades like Dorco. I'm not saying that they are all terrible blades, but very few people prefer them over the ones I've mentioned above.

YMMV.

Personna Lab Blues, Nacets, and Perma-Sharps top my list of modern blades. If you can find them at a reasonable price, the vintage english made Wilkinsons and Gillette Spoilers are definitely worth the trouble.

For me, it's the match between the razor and the blade:
  1. Blackbird (OC and SB): Wizamet, Rapira Platinum Luxe
  2. Blackbird Lite: Persona Platinum
  3. Timeless .95 (SB): Kai
  4. Henson +: Feather, BIC, Perma-Sharps
  5. Henson ++: 7 O'clock Black's, Nacets
  6. Rex Konsul: Perma-Sharps (setting of 3)
  7. Merkur 39C: Wizamet

I "get it" and understand sharp but smooth. However, the dictionary seems to feel differently:

Sharp: "having an edge or point that is able to cut or pierce something"
Smooth "a flat, regular surface or appearance by running one's hand over it."

Sounds a bit contradictory but in the DE world we live in, makes sense. 😱
A coarse edge (sharpened on a lower grit) can be very sharp indeed, but a refined (smooth, sharpened on a higher grit) edge shaves better.

Top Bottom