What's new

Sextoblade pass around and PIF

I think I may go native and just let it all grow! Well not the neck or that white patch under my lower lip :lol: But all the rest of it!

I used it again today for the third time, would like to use it one more time before I send it to you braxis. I will also send a couple of samples of some products I have around via USPS Priority. It is unfortunate that some of the samples were unlabeled.

Al raz.

I am looking forward to using it. Will I need to pick up some blades? How is the test going anything to report?

Is there any general opinion so far as how the sharpness of the shaper blades compares to the sharpness of a traditional straight?

Also, has anyone used any blade in the Weck besides the Fromm blades? If so, has anyone compared different blades? Fromm and Personna blades are available locally. I've seen other shaper blades online and Ted Pella sells several blades that will fit a shaper, but only in larger quantities, of course.

-Clarke

I have 113 STDs, 7 of which are only found in sharks. Luckily they are competing so much against eachother that it's such a perfect balance that I'm not sick... so you're cool.

haha, just catching up on this thread, that made me laugh. classic James Bond SNL skit right there. i think in the skit the 7 were unknown so they named Bond1, Bond2, etc...

I can take this one, I think: the first time I used the Sexto, i thought the blades were not as sharp but it was the weight (pressure) and angle issue. After 2 shaves the blades seem much sharper. I think the shape of the blade is the only thing at this point that is getting on my way. to perfection :). I really wished I could find one of these with a weight similar to a straight, perhaps the Feather...????

I am enjoying my time and keep reminding myself that the Sexto has to go before the week is over :( Do not despair braxis!!!! It is coming to you and I hope that you and Paul like the samples.

Al raz.

Is there any general opinion so far as how the sharpness of the shaper blades compares to the sharpness of a traditional straight?

Also, has anyone used any blade in the Weck besides the Fromm blades? If so, has anyone compared different blades? Fromm and Personna blades are available locally. I've seen other shaper blades online and Ted Pella sells several blades that will fit a shaper, but only in larger quantities, of course.

-Clarke

I can take this one, I think: the first time I used the Sexto, i thought the blades were not as sharp but it was the weight (pressure) and angle issue. After 2 shaves the blades seem much sharper. I think the shape of the blade is the only thing at this point that is getting on my way. to perfection :). I really wished I could find one of these with a weight similar to a straight, perhaps the Feather...????

I am enjoying my time and keep reminding myself that the Sexto has to go before the week is over :( Do not despair braxis!!!! It is coming to you and I hope that you and Paul like the samples.

Al raz.
I am good. :001_smile I am still playing with my Wade and Butcher :wink2:. From what I have read I think the Feather is the closest to the straight razor. And you might get it closer if you rescale it as well. But there is only one way to find out... C'est la vie. I am looking forward to the samples and to use a globe trotting razor.

The Fromm blades are very sharp. Sharper than any finishing stone I have used. I would put it on par with using my Chromium Oxide pasted balsa strop, but a bit less mellow. Using either of my "closed bar" guards makes the blades seem more mellow (I don't have an open comb guard to compare to, sorry). One of my guards has a sharper leading angle, and the other is very rounded. The rounded one has the largest smoothing effect. Also, the Fromm blades are the only I have used. The Sextoblade is a cool razor. It is very stiff which is good for SR shaving. I would say the stiffness difference between the Sextoblade and my smallest hollow ground straight (5/8") is negligible. Not that the straight isn't more stiff, just that you won't notice it while shaving your face (hopefully!). As for re-scaling for a heavier feel, I have never had a problem using the plastic handled Sextoblades, and would compare them directly to shaving with a 5/8 or less straight. But for the sake of argument, I have a medical Sextoblade (I know, this makes 3 Sextoblades in my collection...) with the stainless handle, and the handle is definitely noticeably heavier than the plastic handles. It is so heavy that it tends to want to torque the razor and make maintaining an optimal shaving angle difficult. I have modified my grip while using it, (the scales don't go "straight up" anymore), and it is no longer a problem. Does anyone have any information on the Medical Sextoblades? The thing is pretty sweet! I can tell that it must have originally had a guard (since it has a bump-up to stop the guard from going on too far), and wouldn't mind returning it to original. I have done a couple simple searches and they returned nothing worth mentioning.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I will pass. Initially I did want in on it, but didn't have the required 300 posts then. Then I found a Sextoblade and thought to myself, "Self, if you buy replacement blades for the traveling Sextoblade, and pay for shipping... well, you just as well get yourself your own!". Then I blew that budget and bought a bunch of other stuff too (including a second Sextoblade... and now have three...). Since I am happy enough with my shaving soaps, and the only thing I would really be testing is the open comb guard, I figure I will pass. Paul, if you want to shave with a Sextoblade for graduation, I have a couple here you can use, and I could still take one along for the holiday break :).

Im good, thank you for the offer. I just thought you might want to try the one Sextoblade guard you don't own :lol:

Braxis, prepare yourself, sexto is on its way; lease let me know when it arrives. I removed the unlabeled samples, etc. and included a few samples of miscellaneous products I have around. Paul, thank you very much for organizing this!!!!

Al raz.

haha, just catching up on this thread, that made me laugh. classic James Bond SNL skit right there. i think in the skit the 7 were unknown so they named Bond1, Bond2, etc...

You know, I just remembered. I was going to send a small PIF to whoever got this. PM me your address and I'll shoot you something for after the holidays.

Braxis, prepare yourself, sexto is on its way; lease let me know when it arrives. I removed the unlabeled samples, etc. and included a few samples of miscellaneous products I have around. Paul, thank you very much for organizing this!!!!

Al raz.

Sweet, thanks Al! What were your final thoughts on the Sextoblade?

This week! Getting close Paul!!!

It is, it is. I have mixed feelings. I am starting an alt. teachers cert. program Tuesday night and graduate Friday. Mostly I am happy to see my family that is coming in for the graduation! My inlaws moved up to Idaho about 7 years ago and they are coming in tomorrow afternoon for a week. Me and my father in law are really good friends so that will be cool.

I did like the razor but I confess the the weight and shape of the blade took a little to get used too, it was neither here nor there. I think that I can get a comparable shave with Sexto now. Like most everything else, it is a matter of personal preference. More importantly, I am very happy that I participated with all the other guys in this event and would like to thank everybody involved for sharing the experience, specially you Paul for making it happen. All in all, it was hard to see the Sexto go...

Al raz.

Hey guys, just checking in. I've been enjoying this thread. Paul offered me a chance to try this razor before the pass started. I declined because I was busy getting ready to head to the desert and I had also just purchased a Durham Duplex straight. I thought those two razors were the same, unfortunately they take different blades and the Durham ones are not too easy to come by, so I still haven't tried it out. This thread has really made me want to get a sextoblade now. Thanks for the ride guys.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Parker too. Anyone use a parker? How does it compare to the sextoblade?

Top Bottom