What's new

Sextoblade pass around and PIF

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Parker too. Anyone use a parker? How does it compare to the sextoblade?

The Sextoblade and Weck hair shaper are the only ones I have tried. If you want we can stick you on the tail end of this, Braxis can send it to you then you can send it to me when your done.

The Durham Duplex blades are certainly hard to find! I have heard rumors that blades for a carpet cutter are supposed to work, but I haven't seriously looked into it as of yet.

The Durham Duplex blades are certainly hard to find! I have heard rumors that blades for a carpet cutter are supposed to work, but I haven't seriously looked into it as of yet.
I have tried those blades and would not recommend them. I wish there was a way to modify it to take better blades.

I have tried those blades and would not recommend them. I wish there was a way to modify it to take better blades.

Yeah, I've heard of a couple people who say they get a good shave from the carpet blades, but a resounding majority say don't bother. Makes sense, I wouldn't use a hardware scraper blade in my GEM razor either.

Can't wait to try the Sextoblade, I'll PM my address to braxis. Thanks Again.

Braxis,

I think you will use the last blade. If you can't find any let me know so we can make sure KJ has at least one to try. You kids make sure some of Al's goods make the final leg of the trip! :a11:

Yeah, carpet blades didn't sound like a winner to me, but who knows? Others say they work, and there are lots of different blade manufacturers out there, and lots of styles of blades, so if I come across some double sided blades that look about right, I will have to give them a try. As it is, I have 6 blades for my Durham Demonstrator (very old and not real sharp... they will shave, but it's more of an "in theory" kind of thing) and I am looking into ways to sharpen them/strop them and use them. Avoiding this hassle on what is supposed to be a disposable blade razor would be my big motivation to find a good carpet blade. I am glad the Sextoblade takes readily available (and inexpensive) blades. It would be nice if the Sextoblade had a guard that didn't require being flipped around when switching from side to side, but oh well (I usually don't use the guard anyhow).

I got the box in today and will give it a go tomorrow. plpenn I have a Sally's not in town I will get some there. I think they have both the Fromm and Persona.

First HAPPY GRADUATION DAY PAUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Second I had my first shave today with the Sextoblade. I liked it nice clean shave I now see why Al was sad to see it go. It is a little light compared to a traditional straight. When you find the right angle it slides with ease but it will skip a little if you have it too far one way or the other on the angle. Close shave plus no irritation. I give it an A+.

I think that with a new set of wood scales would make it a little heavier, but might throw the balance off.

First HAPPY GRADUATION DAY PAUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Second I had my first shave today with the Sextoblade. I liked it nice clean shave I now see why Al was sad to see it go. It is a little light compared to a traditional straight. When you find the right angle it slides with ease but it will skip a little if you have it too far one way or the other on the angle. Close shave plus no irritation. I give it an A+.

I think that with a new set of wood scales would make it a little heavier, but might throw the balance off.

Thank you!

I have some Personas but have yet to try them. I don't know much but if the balance is off can't you just find another balance point?

First got to say that this has been a great thread and have been following it for awhile now. I have a sextoblade myself and found it to give great shaves. I would say it is as close to a real SR that I think you will get for the price. I have been using straights for awhile now but had started with the Parker shavette that was asked about earlier I would say even though I really like the Parker if your going to invest your money get a sextoblade. The sextoblade has more or less become my everyday shaver.

Second Braxis I have seen Sextoblades rescaled with heavier scales before and no one has said that it had thrown the balance of them way off.

And Finally if anyone is to get a sextoblade that has an original weck blade and they don't want the weck blade please give me a pm I am trying to get 5 original weck blades to finish off my sextoblade style b which was original sold with seven slots for blades in the case.

Interesting thread. I have been using a Weck as part of my rotation for almost a decade. My go to razor is an Ever Ready pat. 1924 but I absolutely love Wecks. I even have a Weck hoe type safety razor. I shave my face and head with the Weck. The one I have has a straight guard bar.

PapaFish
The Durham Duplex blades are certainly hard to find! I have heard rumors that blades for a carpet cutter are supposed to work, but I haven't seriously looked into it as of yet.​

Your best bet with the Durham Duplex is dog dresser blades still being made by Durham:
http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cf...m_Duplex_Dog_Dresser_Replacement_Blades_5Pack

However after shipping they are not cheap. These are also an option and they are not cheap as well:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270674211722?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hey got a quick question. I was wondering what people have come up with to make sure that slot where the blade is held is dry after every use? I normally just blow down it and hope that gets the worst of the water out but would like a better idea if anyone has one.

Hey got a quick question. I was wondering what people have come up with to make sure that slot where the blade is held is dry after every use? I normally just blow down it and hope that gets the worst of the water out but would like a better idea if anyone has one.

I don't worry about getting the water out everyday. When I change the blade I give it a good wipe down but that's it. I have not had any issues with gunk or rust yet.

Top Bottom