What's new

Sextoblade pass around and PIF

I have a Gem Jr in my rotation. It really shaves well. You can get a real close shave with not much fuss if I am running late it is one of my go to razors. What blades have you used so far?

I was PIF'ed "Ted Pellas" from two different people but they seem like two different blades??? I have tried some from CVS and some from Walgreens but I have them mixed up now....

My wife snatched my Flat Top (G-Bar) and has been using the blades too so Im all mixed up now :lol:

I recently got a couple Sextoblades. Over the weekend I managed to get to Sally's and buy some Fromm "shaper" blades for it. I also took some metal polish to the razors and got them nice and clean. I shaved with them this morning (since I have two, each had the guard in a different orientation) and got really good results. Even with the closed comb guards, they had no problem mowing through two days of growth. The ATG pass went really well, too (Lots less irritation than I have been getting while experimenting with a DE). I think the razor worked very smoothly, especially considering how sharp the blades are. I am assuming a lot of the smoothness had to do with the guards riding along in front of the blades, but I have been wrong before. After a few days getting used to the guards, I plan on going with the bare blade, and see if I notice a difference. In all reality, it should be just like shaving with a straight then. I am wondering about stropping it. If it can be done effectively, then CrOx can be used to maintain the blade for a really long time!
I would say that if you can get your hands on one to try out, you will likely enjoy it.

I recently got a couple Sextoblades. Over the weekend I managed to get to Sally's and buy some Fromm "shaper" blades for it. I also took some metal polish to the razors and got them nice and clean. I shaved with them this morning (since I have two, each had the guard in a different orientation) and got really good results. Even with the closed comb guards, they had no problem mowing through two days of growth. The ATG pass went really well, too (Lots less irritation than I have been getting while experimenting with a DE). I think the razor worked very smoothly, especially considering how sharp the blades are. I am assuming a lot of the smoothness had to do with the guards riding along in front of the blades, but I have been wrong before. After a few days getting used to the guards, I plan on going with the bare blade, and see if I notice a difference. In all reality, it should be just like shaving with a straight then. I am wondering about stropping it. If it can be done effectively, then CrOx can be used to maintain the blade for a really long time!
I would say that if you can get your hands on one to try out, you will likely enjoy it.

I have been wondering when you would show up! I found that the Fromm blades (if your not careful) will just melt into your skin :lol: I would like to find one of these guards you have. I wish I had a good picture of the Sextoblade guard, it is different from the hair shaper that I have here.

Please keep us posted about the stropping I have been wondering about this.

I have been wondering when you would show up! I found that the Fromm blades (if your not careful) will just melt into your skin :lol: I would like to find one of these guards you have. I wish I had a good picture of the Sextoblade guard, it is different from the hair shaper that I have here.

Please keep us posted about the stropping I have been wondering about this.

Looks like you're getting more and more converts!

I already mailed it off to the next guy. I have the tracking number around here somewhere...

pplenn, I'll pm you the number when I find it.

How did you find the over all experience of the shave? Would you try again if you had longer time with the razor?

How did you find the over all experience of the shave? Would you try again if you had longer time with the razor?

To be honest no I wouldn't try it again. My current straight is plenty sharp already, it's more forgiving, and it doesn't need replacement blades.

If I needed a quick shave, I have my DE as a back up. I think if I was more skilled, the shave may have been glorious, but I'm not in the mood right now to improve my technique. It's been a hard battle up till this point to get somewhat proficient with my current straight, why go through more struggles?

I'm still glad I tried it though. I don't regret the experience.

Anyway, as of the 14th, the next guy in line has had the package.

To be honest no I wouldn't try it again. My current straight is plenty sharp already, it's more forgiving, and it doesn't need replacement blades.

If I needed a quick shave, I have my DE as a back up. I think if I was more skilled, the shave may have been glorious, but I'm not in the mood right now to improve my technique. It's been a hard battle up till this point to get somewhat proficient with my current straight, why go through more struggles?

I get that, if you have something you enjoy that works why start all over. I am a little worried this may happen when I try a traditional straight since I learned on the Sextoblade....

Do you think your current straight is more forgiving because it has a thicker blade?

I get that, if you have something you enjoy that works why start all over. I am a little worried this may happen when I try a traditional straight since I learned on the Sextoblade....

Do you think your current straight is more forgiving because it has a thicker blade?

I'm more inclined to say it's how I hone and strop it. It took me a long time to figure out something that was tailored to my face.

I hone on a coticule, and I strop using two strops. My poor man's strop usually makes a sharper edge, but eventually makes for a harsh edge, and my TM vegan, dulls the edge a bit, but makes it more smooth and forgiving. I use both in combination with my coticule to make sure I have the best shaving experience possible.

I have a feeling that if you try a traditional straight, you'll still like your sextoblade.

I'm more inclined to say it's how I hone and strop it. It took me a long time to figure out something that was tailored to my face.

I hone on a coticule, and I strop using two strops. My poor man's strop usually makes a sharper edge, but eventually makes for a harsh edge, and my TM vegan, dulls the edge a bit, but makes it more smooth and forgiving. I use both in combination with my coticule to make sure I have the best shaving experience possible.

Do most people develop a system like this?

Each person is different. I do 30 on linen and 60 to 75 on the leather it depends on what razor I use.( I think it depends on what ever you OCD twitchieness demands of you at the time)

Hmmm.. I see..... very interesting....

I like honing, but am not so big on stropping... so I try to get the best edge I can off the hone, and don't worry too much about stropping. I think I normally do only about 15 or 20 on plain leather. Now that I am better at honing, more passes on the strop are not necessary. I doubt any two people hone and strop exactly the same way...

Had my first shave with Sextoblade today: The feel is completely different from a straight, especially the ones I use, and the DE. I would need a couple more to adapt to the blade, I did not seem to be as sharp as a DE. Overall a great shape. I am enjoying the samples too :) BTW, there were 3 samples in a sandwich bag, two in white and and the other in a black container. I am well acquainted with the black; one of the white ones, has written SMN and smells like Proraso so it is a no brainer... :). The other, however, I could not identify. Can anybody tell me what it is...? There is no writing on it but it feels like an ASB. Thank you Paul and the rest of the donors for organizing this and letting us try some of your samples.

Al raz.

Had my first shave with Sextoblade today: The feel is completely different from a straight, especially the ones I use, and the DE. I would need a couple more to adapt to the blade, I did not seem to be as sharp as a DE. Overall a great shape. I am enjoying the samples too :) BTW, there were 3 samples in a sandwich bag, two in white and and the other in a black container. I am well acquainted with the black; one of the white ones, has written SMN and smells like Proraso so it is a no brainer... :). The other, however, I could not identify. Can anybody tell me what it is...? There is no writing on it but it feels like an ASB. Thank you Paul and the rest of the donors for organizing this and letting us try some of your samples.

Al raz.

Al,

The white containers I think were part of the three I started the box with, but I can not remember what the heck was in them. I got them in a trade and did not care for them. Sorry they all had some sort of label when they left here. For some reason vetiver (sp) is sticking in my head.....Maybe Brent can remember what was in there when I sent it to him?

Have you been using it with or without the guard?

Paul

Al,

The white containers I think were part of the three I started the box with, but I can not remember what the heck was in them. I got them in a trade and did not care for them. Sorry they all had some sort of label when they left here. For some reason vetiver (sp) is sticking in my head.....Maybe Brent can remember what was in there when I sent it to him?

Have you been using it with or without the guard?

Paul

Not sure - there was in there I wasn't able to identify either and most likely what Al is talking about.

Top Bottom