What's new

Brown Leaf September 2021 Acquisitions

Added another Les Wood Ferndown to the stable, a ** Bark.

IMG_E3094.JPG

Last edited:
Got the Peterson rocky donegal in the mail today! Its nicer than I expected. There is some visible uncaked brair in the bottom of the chamber haha. It does have the ghosty estate smell so It will take some cleaning. Even the stem isn't as chewed and oxidized as I expected too. Better score than I thought haha. The filters are kinda funny. This isn't a filter pipe hahaha.

20210904_125451.jpg

20210904_125616.jpg

This morning I drove across the Birmingham area to a lovely community called Homewood, to visit The Briary. It's located in an actual house with a porch. Joe, the fellow on duty, was puffing away on a Castello when I came in. They have lots more basket and estate pipes, and tobaccos, than are shown on their website. I scored an estate Mastercraft straight billiard (vulcanite stem, not acrylic, but this was a $30 pipe) in a sort of blond wood briar with a fairly thick chamber wall. They did not carry Half & Half or Sir Walter or any of the famous OTCs. His advice was that their bulk "Burley Extra" would come pretty close to H & H, and I liked the aroma. I bought an ounce, a tamper nail, a nice leather carrying pouch which will replace my simple one from the '80s, some matches, and pipe cleaners. We'll see how the pipe and the leaf work out this afternoon.

Oh, and the house has a cigar room, and a smoking lounge just off the main sales room. There were a couple of customers hanging out there, smoking and talking. Perhaps I'll head back one morning this week.

The matches don't work well for lighting a pipe outdoors. Which I'm sure most of you know. My plan is to go back to The Briary on Tuesday and pick up a Zippo pipe lighter!

Though it may have to wait until my older cat visits the vet and I know what his medical costs will be. He has been in shock since the drive up to B'ham, and when he does emerge from under the armchair in the room to drink, he walks as if he's dazed. I'll call a local vet, one who treated another cat of mine in '08, and see if they can take him today.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
My "new" Dunhill came today. Shell, 1964 if I'm reading the marks correctly. The stem's showing some oxidation, and there's a little ding on the rim, and there's an inner tube stuck in it, but overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Everything was visible in the pictures, and there were no surprises. It came a little later in the day than I hoped, meaning I didn't get the chance to clean it before work. I smoked it anyway. It's pretty nice, and I think it will be even better once I get that "estate funk" out.

IMG_20210907_134800357.jpg

IMG_20210907_134808888.jpg

IMG_20210907_134829973.jpg

And check out the packaging. They could've just air dropped it to my house.

IMG_20210907_134839177.jpg

Kilroy6644

I got the inner tube out without much hassle. I was able to grab the shank end of the tube with a hemostat and twist it out. The tube did not survive the surgery, but the pipe is ok. Next I'll see what I can do about the stem oxidation. After I finish this smoke.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I got the inner tube out without much hassle. I was able to grab the shank end of the tube with a hemostat and twist it out. The tube did not survive the surgery, but the pipe is ok. Next I'll see what I can do about the stem oxidation. After I finish this smoke.

I guess the inner tube isn’t needed to smoke it?

Kilroy6644

I guess the inner tube isn’t needed to smoke it?
No. I've seen people refer to it as a stinger, but I don't think it really is. It's a simple aluminum tube that inserts into the shank, and fits in the end of the stem. It originated in the days before pipe cleaners were common, when cleaning a pipe was a real chore. The idea was that when the pipe got clogged, you would pull the tube out and put a new one in. The old one could be thrown away, or boiled to get the gunk out. You can still buy them, and I thought I read somewhere that Dunhill pipes are still made to accept them, even though they're not widely used.

Dunhill inner tubes are available at Cup o' Joes, 4 pack/$7.50. Believe they are primarily a collector's relic these days.

I ordered 10 ounces of Sleepy Hollow today. Kinda got the feeling from Straus that I may or may not see it.

I wasn’t very impressed with the people I talked with over there.

One person yesterday just vented about the phone calls they were getting. A lady was very nice but wouldn’t send me a list of their pipe tobaccos without emailing them first. Two emails and two more phone calls and I finally got the list. One person told me they weren’t selling Sleepy Hollow this year and dropped the F bomb multiple times going on a rant about the supply chain issues. When I told them the conflicting information they handed the phone to someone else who took my order.

So I may or may not see it lol

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I ordered 10 ounces of Sleepy Hollow today. Kinda got the feeling from Straus that I may or may not see it.

I wasn’t very impressed with the people I talked with over there.

One person yesterday just vented about the phone calls they were getting. A lady was very nice but wouldn’t send me a list of their pipe tobaccos without emailing them first. Two emails and two more phone calls and I finally got the list. One person told me they weren’t selling Sleepy Hollow this year and dropped the F bomb multiple times going on a rant about the supply chain issues. When I told them the conflicting information they handed the phone to someone else who took my order.

So I may or may not see it lol

i find it hit or miss with those folks. Either pleasant as all can be, or what you experienced. Hopefully you get your order in.

Me too! I’m really excited to try it. Sounds something I’d truly enjoy.
Anymore I’m trying to go through several dozen remaining blends I’ll never buy again and narrowing down to the 5-7 must haves and bulking on those. Bob’s Chocolate Flake has really turned into my all time favorite smoke.
i find it hit or miss with those folks. Either pleasant as all can be, or what you experienced. Hopefully you get your order in.

Top Bottom