What's new

Brown Leaf Acquisitions -- September 2023

Got this Mastro de Paja Classica pipe in the mail the other day and two tins of corn cob pipe and a button nose.

20230905_180832.jpg
20230905_180847.jpg
20230905_180936.jpg
20230905_180954.jpg

That pipe is handsome . . . and the Corn Cob blend sounds interesting. I'm not sure Red Virginias work well for me. Peterson's Sherlock Holmes blend does not agree with me, and it has RVs, I think. And Corn Cob is reputed in reviews to be pretty nic-strong. Still, a "winter blend" sounds cool.

(I wonder if SP will have its "Alpine Lodge" blend available again this year . . .?)

That pipe is handsome . . . and the Corn Cob blend sounds interesting. I'm not sure Red Virginias work well for me. Peterson's Sherlock Holmes blend does not agree with me, and it has RVs, I think. And Corn Cob is reputed in reviews to be pretty nic-strong. Still, a "winter blend" sounds cool.

(I wonder if SP will have its "Alpine Lodge" blend available again this year . . .?)
Thanks! I got to try a sample of the older corn cob pipe blend and it was quite good. Kinda a burley with stronger cocoa flavor. Hopefully this one will be just as good. The other blend was a cube cut and this is a ready rub which is interesting. Pretty happy with the pipe too. Never heard of the maker but it appears to be hand made and a quick search sounded like the originator had some tied to ser jacopo.

I've just gotten back into pipe smoking over the past few weeks in an effort to overcome a habit of smoking WAY TOO MANY cigarettes. Anyhow, I've started with nothing really functional, and I thought out the pitfalls that got me in the past (largely due to the fact that I live in a pipe-smoking desert). So this time, I decided to jump in with both feet, make sure I have a rotation of pipes and a good supply...and variety of tobacco. In short, I've given pipesandcigars.com a lot of money since September 1!
IMG_20230921_150153006.jpg

My September acquisitions are:
Pipes:
Erin Go Brah bent apple
Roma Galaria bent billiard
Brigham Black Satin bent volcano
Two Missouri Meerschaum cobs.

Tobaccos:
Peter Stokkebye English Proper, 1lb Bulk.
Peter Stokkebye English Luxury, 1lb Bulk.
Match Victorian, 1lb Bulk.
Match Middleton Cherry, 8oz Bulk.
Brigadier Black Antietam, one 8oz can.
Brigadier Black Sherman's March, 8 oz can
Briar Works Back Down South, one 2oz jar.
Home and Hearth Concerto, one 2 oz can.
COA Cherry Bomb, three 1.75 oz tins (one smoked)
Cult Blood Red Moon, two 1.75 oz tins

Odds-and-ends include the stand, a Cumberland three-piece pipe tool, all of the storage jars visible in the photo, pipe cleaners and filters for the Brigham pipe.

I have a Black Crackle Zippo and Pipe Zippo on the way, as well.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Back at it again! Not a BL acquisition but one nonetheless! A local small farmette took the remaining hens we had. They stopped laying. So we got 14 in the mail today!😁

View attachment 1717950

Do you collect eggs only or eat the birds? I’ve had chickens for the past 6 years. I’ve hatched about 40 chicks so far. Seems the only photo I have on my phone right now is the inside of my coop. Feel free to PM to avoid nonsense in this thread.

IMG_2079.jpeg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Two new things: 2 oz. of Mac Baren Mixture Scottish blend; and a tin of the mild Romeo y Julieta cigarillos in the blue tin. No idea if I'll like the latter at all, but whattheheck.

Two ounces of Mixture Scottish? For an extra ounce and a half, they put it in a resealable tin. That's a common Sunday night movie blend around here. I think you'll like it if you've never tried it before.

Two ounces of Mixture Scottish? For an extra ounce and a half, they put it in a resealable tin. That's a common Sunday night movie blend around here. I think you'll like it if you've never tried it before.
I'm taking a chance on the 2 oz. size, since I haven't tried it. But it's mild, so SP says (and people here too), with various flavor notes. Once I know if I like it, then a tin would make sense.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I'm taking a chance on the 2 oz. size, since I haven't tried it. But it's mild, so SP says (and people here too), with various flavor notes. Once I know if I like it, then a tin would make sense.
It's one of my favorites, especially in a taller, somewhat narrow pipe with a longer shank and stem. After about the first few puffs, from about the first quarter bowl to just after halfway there's a honey sweetness that's quite intoxicating. If you're able to catch this, I think you'll be impressed and possibly desire more. It's a good blend when taken slow.

Top Bottom