What's new

Seki Japan Butterfly Open Safety Razor - Amazon

As an update from Amazon from the Antique Brass version:

This razor is made by Nippon Riki Kogyo in Seki, Gifu and product of Japan.
By zipangu com
SELLER

Why, then, does it look identical (not just similar, but actually identical) to the Weishi? To give the benefit of the doubt, the responder to the inquiry has been given misleading and incorrect information.

No, it's not. 🙄
The seller is either ignorant, or is lying.
Anything to support that statement? Japan has a lot of expertise in this sort of manufacturing.

Perhaps China stole the design from them? I have seen a lot of 'cloned' products from Snowpeak come out of China. To the point, I am thinking Snowpeak OEM's them there and their Chinese competition uses the same OEM facility for knock-offs. :confused1

Anything to support that statement? Japan has a lot of expertise in this sort of manufacturing.

Perhaps China stole the design from them? I have seen a lot of 'cloned' products from Snowpeak come out of China. To the point, I am thinking Snowpeak OEM's them there and their Chinese competition uses the same OEM facility for knock-offs. :confused1
If it walks like a duck…

Besides Feather I haven’t seen a current production Japanese DE to date.

This enters into a dilemma that has already been observed for some years... "Nah! I will never buy something made in China", I will buy Pionner, Panasonic, Sony, etc..."
Poor person who thinks he is buying something Japanese when in fact it was made in China.
The big difference is in the production agreement. Will it carry the Panasonic brand? So even though it is manufactured in China, the manufacturing quality will be at the level of the Japanese brand, it's all a question of how much the brand will pay our Chinese friends.
That's why when I talk about brands like DSCosmetics and Yaqi, you can be sure that you're buying something good, it just doesn't have the pedigree of a renowned brand!

Nope, Japan doesn't have a lot of expertise in the area of TTO razors. TTO razors manufacturing is a very specific, complicated and expensive process. That is why most modern manufacturers don't make them and stick to 3-piece designs. Why do you think the new so called Gillette DE razors are 3-piece and not TTO?

Weishi has been making them for 30 years. The 9306 short models (that is the Seki) are an imitation of a post 1962 flare tip Super-Speed. Having at least 9 TTO WEISHIs I dare say a pretty good one. No other modern TTO razor with silo doors has a better smoothness of mechanism, or better material, or better plating (Yes I have Parker, Pearl and Baili TTOs and they seem all like school projects compared to WEISHI).

You could try and recognise which of the 9306 variants is the Seki razor here Razor_Foshan City Shunde WEIDA Industrial CO.,LTD - http://www.weishi.com.cn/en/chanpin/tixudiao/#slide6 sliding left and right will show you all of their razors. My guess is either 9306-A or 9306-G
Anyway, since it seems to me nobody can convince you that the razor is a WEISHI, go ahead and buy the "Japanese" Seki. At least you will buy a good quality razor. ;)

Besides Feather I’m not aware of any Japanese DE manufacturer. I always wondered that Kai makes blades but has no holder…
I don't think they make a holder because the double edge blades that they sell are listed as 'Industrial' on their website (or at least they were when I checked a few years back). It's possible they may be used for medical dissection, but that's just a guess on my part.

Nope, Japan doesn't have a lot of expertise in the area of TTO razors. TTO razors manufacturing is a very specific, complicated and expensive process. That is why most modern manufacturers don't make them and stick to 3-piece designs. Why do you think the new so called Gillette DE razors are 3-piece and not TTO?

Weishi has been making them for 30 years. The 9306 short models (that is the Seki) are an imitation of a post 1962 flare tip Super-Speed. Having at least 9 TTO WEISHIs I dare say a pretty good one. No other modern TTO razor with silo doors has a better smoothness of mechanism, or better material, or better plating (Yes I have Parker, Pearl and Baili TTOs and they seem all like school projects compared to WEISHI).

You could try and recognise which of the 9306 variants is the Seki razor here Razor_Foshan City Shunde WEIDA Industrial CO.,LTD - http://www.weishi.com.cn/en/chanpin/tixudiao/#slide6 sliding left and right will show you all of their razors. My guess is either 9306-A or 9306-G
Anyway, since it seems to me nobody can convince you that the razor is a WEISHI, go ahead and buy the "Japanese" Seki. At least you will buy a good quality razor. ;)

No, I'm not in the market at this point. There are at least two on Amazon marketed as an authentic Japanese product which is what got my attention with all the background noise on that site from buying some DE razor blades and shave soaps.

At this point, it really looks pretty SCAMmy to me so, I'm not going to buy one.

Where did you find your "best" Weishi TTO razors and which specific models or features do you recommend I look for?

I don't think they make a holder because the double edge blades that they sell are listed as 'Industrial' on their website (or at least they were when I checked a few years back). It's possible they may be used for medical dissection, but that's just a guess on my part.

Yes, their website was a bit vague and sketchy but, that isn't too unusual for me and various websites in Japan from "local" businesses.

This vagueness is why I posted here for reliable information. It now appears this is basic business name theft and deception by the seller on Amazon at this point.

I think there is a good deal of misinformation about this razor here. I own one and have had it for a few years. This is a Japanese manufactured razor and it is not a rebranded razor from China. It is a very high quality brass razor.

Seki Japan Double Edge Butterfly Open Safety Razor, Heavy Duty Bronze Brass Hard Chromium, 3.14inch Long Handle​

https://www.amazon.com/Seki-Japan-Butterfly-Chromium-3-14inch/dp/B08NTYW747/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1F3QC36RQGBR3&keywords=seki+city+razor&qid=1666286560&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjgyIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sprefix=seki+city+razor,aps,1007&sr=8-3#
  1. Seki Japan Double Edge Butterfly Open Safety Razor, Heavy Duty Bronze Brass Hard Chromium, 3.14inch Long Handle

$55.73

It is what I was looking for also. I bought one. Japanese Seki City quality craftsmanship. Brand new, no refurb necessary. $56. It is everything that it looks like in the photos except it is more like a bronze color in person.

I think there is a good deal of misinformation about this razor here. I own one and have had it for a few years. This is a Japanese manufactured razor and it is not a rebranded razor from China. It is a very high quality brass razor.

Seki Japan Double Edge Butterfly Open Safety Razor, Heavy Duty Bronze Brass Hard Chromium, 3.14inch Long Handle​

https://www.amazon.com/Seki-Japan-Butterfly-Chromium-3-14inch/dp/B08NTYW747/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1F3QC36RQGBR3&keywords=seki+city+razor&qid=1666286560&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjgyIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sprefix=seki+city+razor,aps,1007&sr=8-3#

$55.73

It is what I was looking for also. I bought one. Japanese Seki City quality craftsmanship. Brand new, no refurb necessary. $56. It is everything that it looks like in the photos except it is more like a bronze color in person.

Thanks! I was hoping someone with real first hand experience would comment! It is nice to know it is not just a repackage Chinese knock-off being foisted on unsuspecting Amazon customers.

How does it shave and work for you? Similar to, better, or worse than the common Gillette TTO options?

@sidpost I would understand any reluctance to buy from China. Obviously these are personal ethical decisions we all have to make.

Of course, if you have no objections to purchasing from the great nation of India there is the Parker 87R.

An all brass and chrome plated, hefty little butterfly. Inspired by the Rocket I believe. I have always rather fancied one.

They tend to go for around $30 US Dollars. Parker have been in the game a long time. QC may be the only issue, although I suspect that has improved.

87R Safety Razor • Parker Shaving - https://www.parkershaving.com/p/87r-safety-razor/87r-safety-razor/

There is also the A&E B1 Lancer, named after the USAF strategic bomber. It has an interesting handle bottom push button TTO mechanism. I believe it is US designed.

Rather a new razor on the block, but it's going for around $48 US Dollars.

B1 Lancer Razor - https://aegrooming.com/products/b1-lancer-razor

Finally there is the TTO opening Feather Adjustable. This has 2 settings, 'mild' and 'aggressive'. It should be well built enough. They should also be widely available in the US. Around $30 US Dollars.

Feather 'DER-A' Adjustable Double Edge Safety Razor - https://connaughtshaving.com/dera.html

Feather above on Amazon in USA

1. Seki Japan Double Edge Butterfly Open Safety Razor, Heavy Duty Bronze Brass Hard Chromium, 3.14inch Long Handle

$55.73

Is it marked 'Made in Japan' anywhere?

One would think it certainly would be.

Handle material - brass, which means that the head is made out of zamak. Even if we assume that it's indeed made in Japan, it's still not worth it imo.

Screenshot_2023-03-07-08-54-24-144_org.mozilla.fenix-edit.jpg

Handle material - brass, which means that the head is made out of zamak. Even if we assume that it's indeed made in Japan, it's still not worth it imo.

View attachment 1617130

Zamek is a cast metal that they use in the heads on three piece razors. They don't make heads on TTO razors from Zamek. TTO heads are made from formed sheet metal that can be bent and formed. This razor is all brass.

Is it marked 'Made in Japan' anywhere?

One would think it certainly would be.

No it isn't. But that is not unexpected. This information is typically on the box, not on the razor itself.

Looking at the razors that are out. Only two have any information on the razor itself.

The Merkur 34c is marked: Germany Solingen. The Parker is stamped India.

The EJ DE89 has no markings. The same with the Rocca R94, Muhle R41 head and the Wilkinson Sword TTO (which is made in China).

Top Bottom