What's new

Lambda Athena or Ares razors? Good, bad, or other?

Anyone have info on when the next batch will be?
New batches are made every three months - Theo always tries for two months but there’s a lot of hand polishing needed, plus trim for the mahogany boxes, so it has always been three months so far. Next production should be early April. To date all the razors have been reserved before they are made and demand seems to be growing, so I’m not sure if you can still get on the list for the April drop or if it would be June/July now.

There’s no obligation or payment if you add yourself to the list, and you can email Lambda razors to ask Theo which batch you are likely to be in, and when it will be. When your razor is ready Theo emails you to confirm whether you want to go ahead, and you pay then (or you can decline).

Another great shave this morning with the Athena. So far it hasn't been very picky with blade selection...I like that.

The handle flat spots didn't quite line up right this morning with the Astra Blue blade I used. Wonder if this blade is a little thinner than the others I've used. This is the first time the flat sections weren't in the right spot.

Another great shave this morning with the Athena. So far it hasn't been very picky with blade selection...I like that.

The handle flat spots didn't quite line up right this morning with the Astra Blue blade I used. Wonder if this blade is a little thinner than the others I've used. This is the first time the flat sections weren't in the right spot.
I always assumed the screw has two or more threads so the handle orientation will be different depending on the orientation when you start screwing it on. You could be right but I’d be surprised if blade thickness would make this difference.

For sales outside the EU, does the 200€ price reduce with the 22% VAT removed?

Anyone from the USA with one care to comment? 156€ vs. 200€ is a pretty good price difference though, that might get killed by shipping costs with the wooden case and dimensional shipping charges.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have several razors now that give me great shaves. Among them, the Athena stands out to me. I hate to say it's in a class all by itself but I've had very hmmmmm engaging? shaves with it... where you sort of become transfixed and are one with the razor. I know we are all different and our experiences could vary. The Athena continues to pull me in when I use it. The sound is something unique, again, for me. The auditory feedback has a lovely timber to it: in the midrange. Think mellow, sweet acoustic guitar sounds; viola vs. violin; trombone vs. trumpet, Yoyo Ma's cello; Strat vs. Telecaster. I don't know how to better describe it. All I know is... the shaves are stellar and the music the Athena makes is wonderful.

New batches are made every three months - Theo always tries for two months but there’s a lot of hand polishing needed, plus trim for the mahogany boxes, so it has always been three months so far. Next production should be early April. To date all the razors have been reserved before they are made and demand seems to be growing, so I’m not sure if you can still get on the list for the April drop or if it would be June/July now.

There’s no obligation or payment if you add yourself to the list, and you can email Lambda razors to ask Theo which batch you are likely to be in, and when it will be. When your razor is ready Theo emails you to confirm whether you want to go ahead, and you pay then (or you can decline).
I was on the waitlist and just purchased the Athena on the Lambda website via PayPal. Final cost to California after shipping and Euro conversion was $253.22.

What convinced me was receiving today the Ares v2 that I purchased in the resale market: the quality of the box and razor are in a league of their own. It comes with a booklet in which Theodoros Dragonas hand writes the purchaser's name, purchase date, serial number and adds his signature.

I have now had 7 shaves with the Lambda Ares V2, 5 with a Nacet, 2 with a Feather. I have used MDC, SV, Stirling, Ariana and Evans, B &M, Tabac, and Haslinger soaps. The other razors which I have and use regularly are Blackbird solid bar SS polished, Haircut and a Shave Ti P 076, Tatara Nodachi closed, Timeless .68 open and closed, Timeless .95 Scalloped, Timeless Slim solid bar. I probably should wait to give an opinion, HOWEVER, The box and over all presentation of the Ares 2 is in a league all by it self. The beauty of the razor is unmatched, both in design and the highly polished bronze finish. As much as I like all of the other razors (except the Timeless Slim), at this point I would have to say that the shave is unmatched for both closeness and smoothness. This is especially noticeable against the grain in normally sensitive areas. That, of course, could change as I rotate through all of the razors in the coming months, can get an ongoing closer comparison, and the initial "honeymoon period" passes. It is hard to believe that Lambda can sell this razor in this stunning wooden box at this price. I would guess that over the coming years the price will increase dramatically. A small criticism: I have very hard water and white residue collects in the grooves of the handle, which is a similar issue with the Blackbird. Same thing happens with the other handles, but it is more noticeable in the Blackbird and the Ares V2. Same thing with the teeth in the open comb, but that is true with every open comb razor. A stunning razor.

Toothbrush bristles come in different strengths. The harder ones can be very hard on gums when being used inappropriately. The soft bristles are a waste of time IMHO on a razor.

The firm bristle toothbrush is often used for things like this. I would suggest a medium-level toothbrush as being a good compromise for firm soap scum removal while being gentler with a heavy hand than a firm bristle toothbrush.

@sidpost - care to elaborate on how anyone is supposed to determine the strength of toothbrush bristles or are you just being sarcastic?

Seriously, the razor is polished metal - use dish soap and a sponge and scrub or if you're still feeling pangs of doubt, email Lambda and ask for their recommendation.

Again, it's just polished metal, not a gilded antique.

@sidpost - care to elaborate on how anyone is supposed to determine the strength of toothbrush bristles or are you just being sarcastic?

A bit of truth there. Toothbrush makers generally list something along the lines of soft, medium, and firm. If you handle the bristles you can tell stiffer ones from softer ones.

It isn't an exact science; more of a relative difference.

In terms of gum and tooth damage with overly firm bristles and/or overly aggressive brushing, that is real. Feel free to ask any dentist or dental hygienist.

And yes, I own a "metal" toothbrush to scrub rust off small parts in hard to reach places too! Last time I used it to restore the brakes on my trailer!

I have the Blackbird Ti and thought it was the best razor and shave I had experienced. Then I was advised about the Lambda Ares V2 and was lucky enough to get one. My decision to purchase it was based on all the positive reviews on this board. So, I got it, tried it and was blown away by how comfortable and efficient it was. I know many on here believe the Blackbird is more efficient, but that hasn't been my experience. YMMV. My shaves with the Ares have been fantastic and a great start to the day. I am on the waiting list for the Athena and am anxiously awaiting it's release. You will lose nothing if you buy either the Ares or the Athena. If you don't like it, as others have said in this thread, somebody will buy it from you at your cost or very close to it.

Top Bottom