What's new

Merkur 37C Slant DE Safety Razor (An SWCT Review!)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
IMG_4253.JPG

I won this razor from a very generous giveaway, that Phil put on. This is my very first slant razor, and I finally got a chance to test it out.

proxy.php

This is a 2-piece, closed comb, slant bar, polished razor with knurling on the handle. The razor is 3.3 inches long, weighing in at 2.7-ounces, or 77-grams, and is made in Solingen Germany. Because of its weight, I would consider this razor to be in the medium weight class of razors. I actually like the 2-piece design, I felt like I was able to load, and remove a blade quicker. Because I am used to 3-piece razors, I made the mistake of trying to loosen the head by rotating the handle. Silly me, 2-piece razors loosen and tighten the head, by turning the knob at the bottom of the handle, similar to a TTO butterfly adjustable razor.

proxy.php

The weight of this razor feels good in the hand, not too heavy, not too light, and balance point is about midway up the handle. Because the handle has decent knurling, I was able to grip it just fine with my fingers. The razor didn't slip on me when my fingers were wet, or soapy, so thats a major plus. I have a Merkur Futur razor, and it has perhaps the worst handle with lack of knurling, and soapy fingers will have you dropping that razor for sure!

proxy.php
proxy.php

So what is the deal with slant razors you ask? Well, if you asked some folks, they'd tell you that, because slant razors shave at an angle, they are thereby more efficient at removing whiskers. IMO, this is most certainly an efficient shaving razor, it can remove a lot of whiskers in just the WTG pass. But, to say this razor is anymore efficient then say my Merkur Futur, or Rex Ambassador, that is simply not the case. Where I discovered this razors best efficiency, was getting into places better then my other razors.

IMG_4254.JPG

IMO, this razors efficiency was made known to me, when I was going over my difficult problem areas, like under the jaw line, upper lip, and chin area. Most of my razors have difficulties doing these areas efficiently, because they are not flat and level areas. But something about this razors slanted design, allows it to get those areas more efficiently, and that IMO, is where this razor truly excels! I was pitting this razor up against multiple day whiskers growth, and I surely wasn't expecting much from a solid bar, but this razor provided closer to an open comb razor in performance, which blew me away of course.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Aggression level of this razor based on blade gap alone, would put it around level 4 on both the Merkur Futur & Rex Ambassador, its got quite the gap, and appears to be greater of a gap then the Timeless TI95 razor too. And even if I put my Gillette Fatboy razor on level 9, I am not quite sure that even it would equal the same gap, as this 37C razor! Slant razors are known to be aggressive, and since they sort of require a learning curve to use them, I wouldn't recommend this razor to any beginners to wet shaving. A beginner should start out with a Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89.

proxy.php

A technique I learned to do, which improves my chances of getting a quality shave without nicks and weepers, is by shaving steep, AKA riding the bar. I discovered with this razor, I can still shave steep, but I have to raze the handle up to go slightly shallow, then it started slicing whiskers. I loaded this razor up with a Gillette Platinum blade, and this razor holds the blade well, no blade chatter folks! The 37C also did an excellent job on my neck, managed to get my problem spots without issue.

proxy.php
proxy.php

(1) ATG passes went smooth, there was audible feedback, but no tugging with brand new GP blade.
(2) XTG passes provided more audible feedback, and more whiskers were removed, surprisingly smooth.
(3) DTG passes just for neck, this razors's weight allowed me to do a light touch for these passes, which prevents nicks/weepers!
(4) ATG passes went OK, no greater efficiency found here, nor greater smoothness then my Fatboy razor, but overall smooth.
(5) Touch up passes were required in chin area, so the slant angle didn't help there too much, as I had to DTG them.

IMG_4255.JPG

In conclusion, I felt that this is a really good quality DE razor, that has a bit of character, with its slanted personality. I agree with @LRod that this razor lives up to the hype in being a smooth shaving razor, which seems to have an easier time getting some problem areas. Having said that however, its still not perfect, but it does a pretty darn good job. I like the quality build of this razor, the weight is decent, and allows me to get my shave on. I classify this as an "intermediate" to "experienced" wet shaver class of razor, and I am going to give it 5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 5 STARS!

List of shaving items used for todays shave involving this razor...

(1) Merkur 37C Slant Razor
(2) Gillette Platinum Blade
(3) Stirling Bath Soap For Face Wash Prep
(4) Stirling Pre-Shave Oil For Face Prep
(5) Stirling Pumpkin Spice Shave Soap
(6) Cayune Dark Nebula Shave Bowl
(7) Cayune Dark Nebula Shave Brush
(8) Stirling 125G Alum Block
(9) Pinaud Clubman Vanilla Aftershave

Thanks for the read. I plan on testing the 37c out here soon. I have a Parker semi slant that I really enjoy. It’s one that doesn’t get much attention from me since I’m always trying out new razors/blades but it’s a really fine razor I often forget about. This is the 2nd slant I will be testing so I’m hoping it goes as well as the first.

I’d love to test out one of ATTs slants. I love the ATT R1 which is my 2nd favorite razor at the moment behind the Gamechanger and I bet their slants would be awesome. They even offer a single edge slant.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Thanks for the read. I plan on testing the 37c out here soon. I have a Parker semi slant that I really enjoy. It’s one that doesn’t get much attention from me since I’m always trying out new razors/blades but it’s a really fine razor I often forget about. This is the 2nd slant I will be testing so I’m hoping it goes as well as the first.

I’d love to test out one of ATTs slants. I love the ATT R1 which is my 2nd favorite razor at the moment behind the Gamechanger and I bet their slants would be awesome. They even offer a single edge slant.

Your welcome! :thumbsup:

WOW, sounds like you are having a lot of fun with slants lately, thats awesome! Hey, if you don't mind, when you have your findings on the new slants you get, feel free to post them here if you'd like. At the very least, it would allow for a comparison between them, and the Merkur 37C. :thumbup1:

I only have the Parker and now 37C but look forward to comparing it. A lot of people really like that 37C.

The ATT is a bit pricey to pay full price for but no more then the other high end brands. And you don’t seem to hear much about them on the forum. From what I gather ATT used to be one of the main conversations like Karve and Blackland are today. A shame really, because they seem like really good people with top quality razors. Maybe someone that has the ATT slants will chime in with their comparison? I bet it’s the best slant out there (for me). Perhaps one day I’ll try one out.

I bet there’s some hidden gems out there too from the past. It seems like there was quite a few slants made back in the day overseas.

I have a Razorock German slant. I just can't get a smooth shave with it. Lots of weepers and irritation. Does anyone know if the 37c if basically the same or if it is different enough that I should try it. I do really want to use a slant, just bad experience so far.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I have a Razorock German slant. I just can't get a smooth shave with it. Lots of weepers and irritation. Does anyone know if the 37c if basically the same or if it is different enough that I should try it. I do really want to use a slant, just bad experience so far.

Hi Shupey! While I do not own the Razorock slant, I can however tell you that the, Merkur 37C, is a smooth shaving razor. And since I'd only costs around 50 dollars, you would not take much of a risk to buy it.

And even if you didn't like it, you could sell it. I think Merkur razors are quite popular among the community.

A tremendous razor, excels well above its price point. Have been using one for a couple years and think you're definitely onto something about the dexterity of it.. very comfortable and intuitive.

It can take on very different "personalities" as you said depending on the blade. Silver Blues, Personna are great counterparts for me, and the aggressiveness can be ratcheted up with Feathers and the like.

Hope you get some other slants to compare it to!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

A tremendous razor, excels well above its price point. Have been using one for a couple years and think you're definitely onto something about the dexterity of it.. very comfortable and intuitive.

It can take on very different "personalities" as you said depending on the blade. Silver Blues, Personna are great counterparts for me, and the aggressiveness can be ratcheted up with Feathers and the like.

Hope you get some other slants to compare it to!

Thank you @RobW for the info! I think I'd be too scared to run a Feather blade in it lol. Plus, I don't have that many Feather blades anyways. I have plenty of Wizamet blades, Bic blades, Nacet blades, 7 O Clock GREEN blades, and Gillette Platinum blades. I don't have any Silver Blues or Personna's yet. And I agree! I was actually surprised at how well it shaved my face, especially since I was forcing it to tackle a few days of whisker growth!

I thought it was an intuitive razor as well, but of course, I have 7-months of wet shaving experience, so that kind of helps. Beginners tend to apply too much pressure, because they are coming from cart razors, and thats what they are used to. I can tell you right now, if you apply pressure with this razor, with its huge gap, your gonna opening the flood gates to weeper river. lol

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I only have the Parker and now 37C but look forward to comparing it. A lot of people really like that 37C.

The ATT is a bit pricey to pay full price for but no more then the other high end brands. And you don’t seem to hear much about them on the forum. From what I gather ATT used to be one of the main conversations like Karve and Blackland are today. A shame really, because they seem like really good people with top quality razors. Maybe someone that has the ATT slants will chime in with their comparison? I bet it’s the best slant out there (for me). Perhaps one day I’ll try one out.

I bet there’s some hidden gems out there too from the past. It seems like there was quite a few slants made back in the day overseas.
I recently got the ATT X1 AC Slant razor. I started out with a ESC Claymore Evolution that I used for 5+ months before I tried any DE razors. I still love it, but I had to admit, after a few shaves, the X1 gives me a closer, yet sooooo smooth shave. I couldn't recommend it more highly. It's a lovely razor.

RE+3+SOTD_10_25_2022.jpg

I have a 37C HD on the way. It should be here in a few days.... it's on a slow boat from the UK at the moment. <eg>

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I recently got the ATT X1 AC Slant razor. I started out with a ESC Claymore Evolution that I used for 5+ months before I tried any DE razors. I still love it, but I had to admit, after a few shaves, the X1 gives me a closer, yet sooooo smooth shave. I couldn't recommend it more highly. It's a lovely razor.

View attachment 1546032

I have a 37C HD on the way. It should be here in a few days.... it's on a slow boat from the UK at the moment. <eg>

NICE DUDE!!! 😍

Thats what I am talking about, bring a slant to the face, the shave is gonna be efficient and smooth. And bring a Crown handle to a slant, the grip will be amazing, and the beauty will make you drool. Excellent stuff Kim, thanks for sharing!

BTW, I see you have the TUBE 2.0. How is it working out for ya? I have the ICE CUBE 2.0, and its working amazingly for me.

IMG_4226.JPG

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
NICE DUDE!!! 😍

Thats what I am talking about, bring a slant to the face, the shave is gonna be efficient and smooth. And bring a Crown handle to a slant, the grip will be amazing, and the beauty will make you drool. Excellent stuff Kim, thanks for sharing!

BTW, I see you have the TUBE 2.0. How is it working out for ya? I have the ICE CUBE 2.0, and its working amazingly for me.

View attachment 1546035
I use the Cube 2.0 in the shower... follow up using the Tube 2. (easier to apply) as a pre-shave right before lathering up my mug. I like it a lot.... I have two others that perform very well but they are more expensive so after they are gone, I'll stay with the Cube 2.0 and Tube 2.0... unless there is a 3.0. <eg>

I got a 37C a while back. It's a beautiful razor! I have a few other slants, the Fine plastic slant, and a couple of phoenix Bakelite OC slants. Among my slants, I find the 37C to be the most aggressive. I have plenty of experience with aggressive razors (Merkur Futur, R41, YUMA, Timor Butterfly, Fatip OCs especially), though I can't say I enjoy them all equally. Among the more aggressive razors I own, the Fatip OC is my favourite. Compared to that, I find the 37C harder to control, in the sense that there is a very fine line between a BBS shave, and razor-burn. It is probably just because I haven't practiced enough with the 37C, but I find that this is a general thing with slants. The aggression is harder for me to "read" and so harder to control, than aggressive non-slants razors like the Fatip OC.
In terms of design however, the 37C is one of the most beautiful DE razors I own, so perhaps I will give the 37C a second chance some time in the future, and try to be more patient with it.

I own both the Merkur 37C and the Razorock German 37. The latter I bought just because I was so impressed with the Merkur and wanted a three piece version just to change things up once in awhile. I get absolutely incredible shaves each time with these.

I now own three different Razorocks (German 37, Gamechanger OC, and SLOC.) I live in Toronto Canada, and as I recently discovered, the Italian Barber warehouse is not only in Toronto, but is in my area of the city AND is basically walking distance from my house. I wish they had a storefront so I could shop in person rather than having to order online.

Brother Star_Wahl:

Thanx for the write-up on the Merkur 37 slant razor. There are several points I would respectfully disagree with:

Comparing a Merkur slant with a Merkur Futur is not valid. The slant is a slant and the Futur is an adjustable. I own and regularly use both razors. They are excellent efficient razors, but they are different types of razors.

I would further suggest the moderately aggressive Merkur slant is not equal to a setting of 4 on the highly aggressive Merkur Futur. Rather, in my experience, it's closer to a setting of 1.5 or so.

I discourage a steep shaving angle as I find it often impedes comfort and closeness; instead, I suggest a neutral angle, or a shallow angle (handle held higher) will give superior results with most razors.

With a slant (or with any aggressive razor) the pressure on the face should be light.

Thanx for sharing. It's not uncommon for shavers to disagree. That's how we learn. That's how we refine our funds of knowledge.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Thanx for the write-up on the Merkur 37 slant razor.

Your welcome!

Comparing a Merkur slant with a Merkur Futur is not valid. The slant is a slant and the Futur is an adjustable.

I understand that. Reason I was comparing them, is because the Futur is literally the only other Merkur razor I own, and I also don't own any other slant razors. So I was comparing the two razors based on their quality.

I would further suggest the moderately aggressive Merkur slant is not equal to a setting of 4 on the highly aggressive Merkur Futur. Rather, in my experience, it's closer to a setting of 1.5 or so.

I was speaking as to the visual appearance of blade gap percentage. It appeared to me, that the visual blade gap looked about the same as the Futur on 4. And no I don't own a micrometer to ensure thats 100% accurate. I have a set of eyes, and thats how I gauged that. It was from visual appearance only, I said nothing about the actual aggressive performance comparison of those two razors on 4.

Additionally, I also made a comparison to the handles, which is extremely valid IMHO. The knurling on the 37C provides superior grip, where as the Merkur Futur, provides terrible grip, because its a smooth handle. I've dropped my Futur on my counter, and in the water before, I never dropped my 37C.

I discourage a steep shaving angle as I find it often impedes comfort and closeness; instead, I suggest a neutral angle, or a shallow angle (handle held higher) will give superior results with most razors.

OK, well, if a shallow angle works for you without ripping yourself open, kudo's. But I prefer to take a position from which I can trust. And one has to be very careful with aggressive slant razors. Shaving steep worked for me, where I tilted the handle up just enough, to where I heard the razor cutting whiskers.

I know my Feather AS-D2 requires a really shallow, riding the cap, plan of attack, in order to remove whiskers, and I absolutely hate that about my AS-D2. Infact, I've been trying to sell it, but nobody wants to buy it, so I am stuck with it, until I guess I sell on Ebay and eat the listing costs I guess. I even dropped my price, still people don't want it. I don't like DE razors that require shallow angle riding the cap plan of attacks, that is not comfortable for me, it annoys me, and it offers a great risk in me cutting myself a weeper or two.

With a slant (or with any aggressive razor) the pressure on the face should be light.

That was never a problem, I was using it light the whole way. Which is why I had no nicks of weepers. Infact, its because of my 7-months of wet shaving experience, is what prepared me for shaving light with a slant for my first time, without turning my face into Frankenstein's monster.

Thanx for sharing. It's not uncommon for shavers to disagree. That's how we learn. That's how we refine our funds of knowledge.

Yep, since I became a member here, I've seen a lot of disagreements on this site. Not everybody agrees as to everything regarding razors, shaving methods, software usage, you name it. Everybody has their own idea of how to do things. Just the way that it is. And regarding funds, well, I can tell you right now, all of that went down the rabbit hole. I still have my second giveaway razor to use and review, and then I have a secret razor I haven't told the forum about to use and review as well.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Yeah well, I have some insider knowledge! :001_tt2:

(He is holding off, not back, out of respect for the generous gifts he has received. I think I can say this for him, hopefully.)😬

Thats 100% right! I would consider it disrespectful, to set aside the razors I won in the giveaway, and only focus on the razor that I bought, that wouldn't be right. I deeply value the generosity that Phill provided me, and I will respect that honestly. I know that it has been taking me awhile, but that is because things going on in my life right now. But I will get to it, I promise.

I too have the ATT X1 slant and a 37C. Totally different animals. My experience matches what @Phoenixkh wrote. The X1 is amazing!!
I also have two other ATT's and they're awesome as well.
Excellent quality, excellent shaves and excellent company!

Top Bottom