What's new

Seki Japan Butterfly Open Safety Razor - Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NV4PVBB

Amazon_TTO.jpg

Thinking about TTO razors, this one from Japan

Japanese precision for items like this is outstanding. I am unaware of any German options in the $50~$75 range and, I do not want a Chinese TTO razor. This razor is Chromed brass so, a good option but, I wonder about the weight at 62g/2.1oz.

Does anyone own this razor that can give me a good comparison to more widely known razors or comment on its overall quality? Or, I'm open to comments on similar "new production" razors made from Brass and Stainless Steel. I'm not totally ruling out a Gillette TTO variant but, finding a good donor to replate easily breaks the $100 threshold when it is all said and done, I don't want a $100+ TTO to play with and then resell.

TIA,
Sid

View attachment 1609132

Japanese precision for items like this is outstanding. I am unaware of any German options in the $50~$75 range and, I do not want a Chinese TTO razor. This razor is Chromed brass so, a good option but, I wonder about the weight at 62g/2.1oz.

Does anyone own this razor that can give me a good comparison to more widely known razors or comment on its overall quality? Or, I'm open to comments on similar "new production" razors made from Brass and Stainless Steel. I'm not totally ruling out a Gillette TTO variant but, finding a good donor to replate easily breaks the $100 threshold when it is all said and done, I don't want a $100+ TTO to play with and then resell.

TIA,
Sid
You sure this is not just a rebranded Weishi?

Last edited:

View attachment 1609132

TIA,
Sid
Please read carefully the next sentences.
That Seki razor is a WEISHI. The later short handle brass Weishis weigh 63, not 65g. I have too many of them to be mistaken. You will just buy a Chinese razor, that you say you don't want to buy.

Please read carefully the next sentences.
That Seki razor is a WEISHI. The later short handle brass Weishis weigh 63, not 65g. I have too many of them to be mistaken. You will just buy a Chinese razor, that you say you don't want to buy.

Thanks! Gifu has a lot of boutique manufacturers of things like a safety razor.

Since it appears this is a Weishi, I won't be a buyer. Rebranding a Weishi as Japanese to me is unethical and deceptive. Whether it is a great razor or not, I will stick to great options out of the EU and North America.

While I will buy some Chinese products, they are generally sole-sourced and unavailable from other sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just look around on Amazon, you will find a ton of razors that look just identical. They are indeed all rebranded Chinese razors.
My wife loves one of them made by "Nobilisk" for leg shaving, or just to annoy me. Very mild.
Yes, Amazon has a lot of basically "knock-off" products hence, my post here on that razor to verify its authenticity or find a reference to its maker in one of Japan's companies.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I picked up the same razor on Ali Express for £8 nice little shaver. Although it was claimed to be copper with a gun metal finish.

@sidpost I would understand any reluctance to buy from China. Obviously these are personal ethical decisions we all have to make.

Of course, if you have no objections to purchasing from the great nation of India there is the Parker 87R.

An all brass and chrome plated, hefty little butterfly. Inspired by the Rocket I believe. I have always rather fancied one.

They tend to go for around $30 US Dollars. Parker have been in the game a long time. QC may be the only issue, although I suspect that has improved.

87R Safety Razor • Parker Shaving - https://www.parkershaving.com/p/87r-safety-razor/87r-safety-razor/

There is also the A&E B1 Lancer, named after the USAF strategic bomber. It has an interesting handle bottom push button TTO mechanism. I believe it is US designed.

Rather a new razor on the block, but it's going for around $48 US Dollars.

B1 Lancer Razor - https://aegrooming.com/products/b1-lancer-razor

Finally there is the TTO opening Feather Adjustable. This has 2 settings, 'mild' and 'aggressive'. It should be well built enough. They should also be widely available in the US. Around $30 US Dollars.

Feather 'DER-A' Adjustable Double Edge Safety Razor - https://connaughtshaving.com/dera.html

Last edited:
I very strongly suspect that the advertising copy on Amazon is misleading at best and possibly even deceptive. My guess is that the vendor contracted this and the actual manufacturer is Weishi in China. It looks indistinguishable from the various other Weishi short handle TTO rebrands (e.g., Van Der Hagen, Micro Touch One, etc.).

I'm not passing judgment on whether this particular razor performs well; in fact IMO it is a very accurate copy of the 1960s to 1970s era Super Speed. But if you want to avoid Chinese products I would recommend finding a good vintage Super Speed or even a Slim adjustable. Or, as suggested also, a Parker TTO.

I very strongly suspect that the advertising copy on Amazon is misleading at best and possibly even deceptive. My guess is that the vendor contracted this and the actual manufacturer is Weishi in China. It looks indistinguishable from the various other Weishi short handle TTO rebrands (e.g., Van Der Hagen, Micro Touch One, etc.).

I'm not passing judgment on whether this particular razor performs well; in fact IMO it is a very accurate copy of the 1960s to 1970s era Super Speed. But if you want to avoid Chinese products I would recommend finding a good vintage Super Speed or even a Slim adjustable. Or, as suggested also, a Parker TTO.
Thanks! I was hoping this particular razor was made in Japan and wasn't outsourced to some country with questionable human rights and individual freedoms. I prefer to have my money spent in nations trying to do the "right thing" by its people and the world.

I have been looking for various Gillettes online but, there is so much conflicting information and people pushing an agenda for an overpriced razor, I have been a bit frustrated looking at those for sale only to see issues that are pretty scammy.

The garden variety Super Speeds are still out there. I found a clean late 1950s Super Speed for little money. It shaves like a new one, pretty mild but still really nice. The only cosmetic flaws are a few barely visible spots on the plating.

You might watch the BST forum here for awhile, maybe one will turn up.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Feather makes a couple of TTO razors the "Popular" and "Adjustable razor". They were hot for a few weeks when introduced and never hear about them since. You can look at them also on Amazon if you have to own a Feather TTO. On line shaving suppliers will also have them no doubt.

@sidpost I would understand any reluctance to buy from China. Obviously these are personal ethical decisions we all have to make.

Yes, I'm not about cheaper at any cost. Spending a bit more with a reputable company or from a better location for human rights and freedom is something I try to do. There are a lot of countries in Asia that are making good strides towards individual freedoms and prosperity so, a much better choice for me like the EU region.

Of course, if you have no objections to purchasing from the great nation of India there is the Parker 87R.

An all brass and chrome plated, hefty little butterfly. Inspired by the Rocket I believe. I have always rather fancied one.

They tend to go for around $30 US Dollars. Parker have been in the game a long time. QC may be the only issue, although I suspect that has improved.

87R Safety Razor • Parker Shaving - https://www.parkershaving.com/p/87r-safety-razor/87r-safety-razor/

My one personal Parker experience was not a good one, so I don't consider them much but, that was long ago and today things would likely be different. India is a nation that I think is making progress toward a better life for its people so, I can support purchases from there.

There is also the A&E B1 Lancer, named after the USAF strategic bomber. It has an interesting handle bottom push button TTO mechanism. I believe it is US designed.

Rather a new razor on the block, but it's going for around $48 US Dollars.

B1 Lancer Razor - https://aegrooming.com/products/b1-lancer-razor

Finally there is the TTO opening Feather Adjustable. This has 2 settings, 'mild' and 'aggressive'. It should be well built enough. They should also be widely available in the US. Around $30 US Dollars.

Feather 'DER-A' Adjustable Double Edge Safety Razor - https://connaughtshaving.com/dera.html

The A&E B1 Lancer is a Zamak razor so, not my thing for a TTO mechanism. The Feather razor never did anything to move me. Some razors just don't appeal to me even IF they would be an awesome shaver due to their aesthetic.

The garden variety Super Speeds are still out there. I found a clean late 1950s Super Speed for little money. It shaves like a new one, pretty mild but still really nice. The only cosmetic flaws are a few barely visible spots on the plating.

You might watch the BST forum here for awhile, maybe one will turn up.
Yes, I don't see many for sale on forums like this one. My searches at places like eBay is a bit frustrating because people either don't have a clue what they have and provide poor quality pictures or, they are priced like they have the only one in existence.

I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone but, on the flip side, there are a lot of sellers trying to do that to uninformed buyers. With Rhodium plating being ~$130, a clean English version could be a good candidate but, I don't want a ~$200 TTO razor.

Yes indeed: Look at the BST in here for a high-quality Gillette vintage like a Rocket Flare Tip. Superb TTO razor and usually cost around 50 even for a great condition one. I just sold my last spare, sorry, but there are many of them around - and any Rocket will shave just about the same (= wonderfully)
:thumbup1:

Pretty much all modern TTO razors are made in either China, India or Pakistan and while they are quite inexpensive, none of them are as good as any of the vintage Gillette TTO razors. Unless the idea of shaving with a used razor is bothering you and paying lots of money for a NOS vintage Gillette isn't an option for you, then those Asian TTO's are your only option.

Top Bottom