What's new

Seki Japan Butterfly Open Safety Razor - Amazon

How does it shave and work for you? Similar to, better, or worse than the common Gillette TTO options?

To compare. I consider a DE89 razor to be completely average. As such, on a 1-10 scale, I rate it a five. The 34c is just slightly less efficient, has slightly less blade feel and does not shave quite as close. I rate it a 4.5.

The R41 head, I would give a 9 for efficiency The Rocca would rate an 8.

The Seki is slightly more efficient and has more blade feel than the DE89. I would rate it as a 6. This is about the same as I would rate the Wilkinson Sword TTO.

Both of these TTO razors are very close shaving. Neither is difficult to shave with. But both have a solid blade feel and therefore you should not go using pressure against your skin while shaving.

You have more control over the Seki than with the Wilkinson. This is because the Wilkinson has a longer handle and the weight is more to the handle, than the head.

I grip the Wilkinson further down the handle to give some weight to the head.

The Seki has a short handle like the 34c and being brass is slightly heavy with a solid feel.

If you note any of the reviews on the Weishi, they will comment on it being a very mild razor. This is not what the Seki is.

I was aware of this razor from the web. However, the only version that was listed on Amazon at the time, was the chrome version. So that is what I ordered. Happily, apparently the antique bronze versions were first being shipped to Amazon at the time, with Amazon net being aware if the different models. So the brass was the version I received.

I was wanting a brass razor from the beginning. I actually prefer bronze. But outside of the lighter top, the rest of the razor has more of a bronze look. This was 100% what I was looking for in the first place. You are right, I found no similar products in this price range. Absolutely no regrets here. One of the reviews on Amazon was made by me. Qualiry is 100%.

How does it shave and work for you? Similar to, better, or worse than the common Gillette TTO options?

To compare. I consider a DE89 razor to be completely average. As such, on a 1-10 scale, I rate it a five. The 34c is just slightly less efficient, has slightly less blade feel and does not shave quite as close. I rate it a 4.5.

The R41 head, I would give a 9 for efficiency The Rocca would rate an 8.

The Seki is slightly more efficient and has more blade feel than the DE89. I would rate it as a 6. This is about the same as I would rate the Wilkinson Sword TTO.

Both of these TTO razors are very close shaving. Neither is difficult to shave with. But both have a solid blade feel and therefore you should not go using pressure against your skin while shaving.

You have more control over the Seki than with the Wilkinson. This is because the Wilkinson has a longer handle and the weight is more to the handle, than the head.

I grip the Wilkinson further down the handle to give some weight to the head.

The Seki has a short handle like the 34c and being brass is slightly heavy with a solid feel.

If you note any of the reviews on the Weishi, they will comment on it being a very mild razor. This is not what the Seki is.

I was aware of this razor from the web. However, the only version that was listed on Amazon at the time, was the chrome version. So that is what I ordered. Happily, apparently the antique bronze versions were first being shipped to Amazon at the time, with Amazon net being aware if the different models. So the brass was the version I received.

I was wanting a brass razor from the beginning. I actually prefer bronze. But outside of the lighter top, the rest of the razor has more of a bronze look. This was 100% what I was looking for in the first place. You are right, I found no similar products in this price range. Absolutely no regrets here. One of the reviews on Amazon was made by me. Qualiry is 100%.

From my understanding, most of today's TTO razors are inspired by the original Gillette Speed Safe's.

From what I gather, the Gillette Tech's are a bit milder. I have no personal experience with any vintage razor.

Zamek is a cast metal that they use in the heads on three piece razors. They don't make heads on TTO razors from Zamek. TTO heads are made from formed sheet metal that can be bent and formed. This razor is all brass.

I disagree. Almost all modern TTO razors have zamak heads. They might not look like zamak, but they most definetly are. If you don't believe me, just look around Aliexpress and check the specs of any TTO razor you can find.

I disagree. Almost all modern TTO razors have zamak heads. They might not look like zamak, but they most definetly are. If you don't believe me, just look around Aliexpress and check the specs of any TTO razor you can find.
I tend to disagree. Almost all modern TTO razors with silo doors have brass heads. Including WEISHI, Baili, Parker and Pearl.

I think there is a good deal of misinformation about this razor here. I own one and have had it for a few years. This is a Japanese manufactured razor and it is not a rebranded razor from China. It is a very high quality brass razor.
I suspect that this is not really the case. It may have been "spec'd" in Japan and made from brass, but the identical appearance (not just similar, but identical) strongly suggests that it is actually built by Weishi in China. It would take quite a bit of evidence to convince me otherwise. (Not saying it's a bad razor; I'm sure it's quite good. I'm just saying I very strongly suspect it's really a Weishi.)

I suspect that this is not really the case. It may have been "spec'd" in Japan and made from brass, but the identical appearance (not just similar, but identical) strongly suggests that it is actually built by Weishi in China. It would take quite a bit of evidence to convince me otherwise. (Not saying it's a bad razor; I'm sure it's quite good. I'm just saying I very strongly suspect it's really a Weishi.)
Sounds a bit like my Snowpeak experience. If you peeled the labels off my bowls, cups, and pots and put them on a table, you would be hard pressed to pick which was Snowpeak and which was from China.

Lixada, Tomshoo, and Boundless Voyage all seem like Snowpeak products to me. There are probably others too but, those are the ones I personally have used.

Well, of course. The razor in post #33 in this thread is WEISHI model 9306-I with a custom white logo on one of the doors. 9306-I(Bronze)_Foshan City Shunde WEIDA Industrial CO.,LTD - http://www.weishi.com.cn/en/chanpin/tixudiao/shuangmian/99.html If you want to pay 55 dollars for a white paint logo on the door, fine. But it is a price you pay for the white paint only. The razor is sold on aliexpress for $14.75 + $2-3 shipping (no white paint logo, of course ;) ) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32835508327.html
Let's just say I am seriously getting tired of posting in this thread. Especially since 'the experts' chimed in.

Ok I think I have solved this one.

The brand of the razor is 'Nikky'.

They appear to make razor blades, primarily SE.

Viz: Nikky Platinum Hairdressing Razor Blades 5Pk - https://amr.com.au/product/nikky-platinum-hairshaper-cut-throat-blade-5pk/

You will notice the stylised 'Nikky' branding is exactly the same on the claimed Japanese TTO razor head. Seki Japan Double Edge Safety Razor Black Silver Brass Hard Chromium 3.14in Long 191308814595 | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284086317396

Read the wording of the Bay listing fully. Gifu and Seki are not companies. They are regions and cities.

I suspect this is a product of NRK industries.

If it is in fact Chinese, and rebranded 'Nikky' is still disputed however.

If there was a Japanese TTO I would expect it to get much more attention that a couple of obscure Ebay listings.

Last edited:
Ok I think I have solved this one.

The brand of the razor is 'Nikky'.

They appear to make razor blades, primarily SE.

Viz: Nikky Platinum Hairdressing Razor Blades 5Pk - https://amr.com.au/product/nikky-platinum-hairshaper-cut-throat-blade-5pk/

You will notice the stylised 'Nikky' branding is exactly the same on the claimed Japanese TTO razor head. Seki Japan Double Edge Safety Razor Black Silver Brass Hard Chromium 3.14in Long 191308814595 | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284086317396

Read the wording of the Bay listing fully. Gifu and Seki are not companies. They are regions and cities.

I suspect this is a product of NRK industries.

If there was a Japanese TTO I would expect it to get much more attention that a couple of obscure Ebay listings.
$84.38 :lol:

There is of course a Seki City in Japan. It is located in the Gifu-Prefecture. They are known for knives and their high quality steel. I have knives that are made there. Similar to Sheffield England or Solingen Germany.

The problem is that there are many companies that use Seki and Gufu Japan in their product names, such as:

proxy.php

They make all sorts of grooming products for men and women.

proxy.php

There doesn't appear to be any specific definitive company associated with either of these names? The Amazon listing refers to both names as the manufacturer for this razor.

If there was a Japanese TTO I would expect it to get much more attentio

I would agree with you on this point. It might have been a recent listing ehdn I purchased this razor but it has now been two years since I bought it in March of 2021.

It does seem odd that there are only a few reviews, including mine? Weishi on Amazon has in excess of 10k reviews. The Seki does look like the Weishi. Stll, I remain unconvinced that the Seki is manufactured in China. Though, that may indeed be the case?

We don't have enough proving this point either way?

I was aware of the Weshi product at the time I purchased the Nikki. However, the reviews on the Weishi describe it as a very mild razor. One of those that are too mild for many shavers.

Both the Seiki and the Wilkinson Sword TTO are not mild shavers. They are not very agressive either. They are slightly more agressive than the DE89 and the 34c.

The $14.75 price does seem to be less expensive than the quality of this razor would indicate, compared to other razors I have?

Though the chrome plated Wilkinson Sword TTO razor is similarly priced and it is manufactured in China.

There appear to be no quality issues with the Wilkinson and it is built like more expensive razors.

That is the price of an eBay seller. On Amazon it sells for: $55.73.

However, the reviews on the Weishi describe it as a very mild razor. One of those that are too mild for many shavers.
Regarding the mildness differences.
Beside the razors with zero exposure which are indeed very mild, in the recent years WEISHI started making batches with positive exposure. One of those for instance is the Wilkinson TTO (WEISHI 9306-P).

This one is sold as Yintal brand and is 9306-D, it has positive exposure and gives a nice close shave (which I appreciate very much with my very coarse black whiskers). But we are talking batches here, not models. When I ordered a second Yintal 9306-D a month later, I received a razor with the zero exposure.

9306d.jpg

Here is another one. WEISHI 9306-G. Received it last month. Thankfully this one is with the postive exposure as well.

9306-g---.jpg

To the zamak head TTO. There definitely are some. Rockwell for one to name one off the top of my head. There's several others I've seen. They often call out brass for the handle specifically and leave out the head details.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
My country "Taiwan" is just between China and Japan, my mother tongue is Chinese, and we happen to be one of the countries that love to travel to Japan most, and we have a deep friendship with Japan.

I'm pretty sure this razor is made in China.

The knife-making technology in Seki City, Japan is also completely unrelated to TTO razor processing.

Sales information on the Internet is easy to fake, but the razor itself is honest.

----------------------
To the zamak head TTO. There definitely are some. Rockwell for one to name one off the top of my head. There's several others I've seen. They often call out brass for the handle specifically and leave out the head details.
I guess you may be referring to "EMPEROR" "VIKINGS BLADE" "KWAN YEE GOR" these razors.
Their base plate is made of zamak material, these have exquisite appearance, if they want to disguise as a Japanese razor, it is more convincing than the razor in this thread.

Almost all Chinese TTO razors come from WEISHI, including the razors in this thread and the razors I just listed.

Last edited:
Zamek is a cast metal that they use in the heads on three piece razors. They don't make heads on TTO razors from Zamek. TTO heads are made from formed sheet metal that can be bent and formed.

I tend to disagree. Almost all modern TTO razors with silo doors have brass heads. Including WEISHI, Baili, Parker and Pearl.
Durable plated with over the heavy alloy. This is a beautiful safety razor for either your own use or a gift! Pakage contents: 1 x WEISHI Chrome Long Handle Version Safety Razor

Baili: Materials:Zinc alloy metal and high level chrome electroplating

I have learned from this thread that the WEISHI brand Chinese TTO range has some excellent examples, including the well respected Wilkinson Sword TTO razor.

I strongly suspect that the Japanese NRK company, using the brand 'Nikky' outsourced WEISHI to make their TTO razor which has appeared on listings, requesting high quality standards of material and QC.

We should never underestimate the great capability of world-class Chinese quality of manufacture and quality control when they choose to, political or ethical considerations aside.

In the 1930's 'Made in Japan' was a synonym for shoddy and poorly copied Western manufacture. That was proven terribly wrong in 1941-45. History repeats, as we know.

Last edited:
In my own experience, it is unfortunate that I have to say, very few times that I used "Made in China" and "quality" in the same sentence. Unless a sentence similar to the one before or "poor" is somewhere in between. Political or ethical considerations aside.
Just my own experience.
1930 was almost, almost a century ago. Like 100 years back.

I have learned from this thread that the WEISHI brand Chinese TTO range has some excellent examples, including the well respected Wilkinson Sword TTO razor.

I strongly suspect that the Japanese NRK company, using the brand 'Nikky' outsourced WEISHI to make their TTO razor which has appeared on listings, requesting high quality standards of material and QC.

We should never underestimate the great capability of world-class Chinese quality of manufacture and quality control when they choose to, political or ethical considerations aside.

In the 1930's 'Made in Japan' was a synonym for shoddy and poorly copied Western manufacture. That was proven terribly wrong in 1941-45. History repeats, as we know.

No one claims that Chinese can't make good products in general, but rather specifically about their razor's and more specificly - their TTO razors. I could be wrong, but no modern TTO razor is as good or better than even the most basic Gillette TTO from the 50's like a Super Speed.

For instance, I do agree that their synthetic brushes are very good, but none of the 5-6 razors that I've used were even remotely good and I sold all of them, but the Yaqi Excalibur, which is a clone of the Vector and I've got it for free, because it has some small issues.

My reason for not buying Chinese razors is that I have serious doubts that they test those razors and for them if a razor can hold the blade is more than enough and making a good razor requires more than that and it needs to be tested by at least a couple of people so they can share their experience.

In the end, people can buy whatever they like, so I don't think there's any reason for us to argue with each other like fifth graders rather than sharing our opinions and that's it.

Top Bottom