What's new

DE Questions, Recommendations

A noisy razor/blade combo is a cracking result! I know you wanted to buy once but can I tempt you to upgrade to the 316 marine grade stainless steel Yaqi Mellon SLOC head?
For now no lol. I need to play with it, try blades. It is very easy to shave with.
i have been tempted with some old Gilette adjustable, but read, some say they are mild even on high setting? I think for me the SLOC is mild. Hence wanting to try blades.

GC SLOC received in mail today along with a free box of Derby Extra blades, the Astra Superior Stainless and Feather Hi Stainless I ordered to try.
Used the Derby to try tonight on 3 day old growth. Even with it being 40+ years since using a DE, no issues or learning curve to speak of. The blade is noisy when cutting. No problems with the open comb, razor cleans out easy.
Biggest problem was trying to get blades out of the box, into the razor. Beat up fingers from remodeling and such from life.

Don’t know if you noticed this but a lot of the Razorock razors are also sold without the handle. So if you like the handle that came with your SLOC, you can cheaply purchase different heads of different aggressiveness to experiment with. However it is generally considered good practice to stick to one razor and blade till you nail down a decent technique. Good luck!

You might consider a Schick Injector. Certainly, no clogging issues. It takes a bit of practice to get the angle, but once mastered it gives a really close and comfortable shaves. I used my Schick Model G today and got a near BBS shave.

Don’t know if you noticed this but a lot of the Razorock razors are also sold without the handle. So if you like the handle that came with your SLOC, you can cheaply purchase different heads of different aggressiveness to experiment with. However it is generally considered good practice to stick to one razor and blade till you nail down a decent technique. Good luck!
I did notice, one reason I bought from them. But I noticed last night, prices of both top plates are high for RR

You might consider a Schick Injector. Certainly, no clogging issues. It takes a bit of practice to get the angle, but once mastered it gives a really close and comfortable shaves. I used my Schick Model G today and got a near BBS shave.
I had one of those in early 80’s.

i have been tempted with some old Gilette adjustable, but read, some say they are mild even on high setting?
I think it depends on the person and razor. Remember the old Gillette's were designed for the mass market at the time. I had a Gillette Silm Adjustable (kinda regret selling it now) and for me it could do a range from medium-mild to aggressive.

I think it depends on the person and razor. Remember the old Gillette's were designed for the mass market at the time. I had a Gillette Silm Adjustable (kinda regret selling it now) and for me it could do a range from medium-mild to aggressive.
Yes, they were built for anyone to use “safely“. when I bought my first Gillette I never gave a thought except it was a razor, same with blades. So technical now Lol.
is there a table that talks vintage aggressiveness such as the RR table?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome to B&B. I'll confess I didn't read everyone's reply to your original post. Coming back, not an everyday shaver, considering an OC razor and then you got "super welcomed". We're a friendly bunch with a lot of advice and more opinions. Here's more...

Don't overthink it. As long as you're not buying something from the dollar store you'll be fine. Choose something that speaks to you, go slow at the beginning (especially if you've landed something aggressive), commit to learning your equipment and refine your technique, have fun, post your experiences and questions.

I look forward to reading more about your journey. Remember men and women have been shaving for a good while and they managed to figure it out without severing an artery. I don't think they, oddly, even consulted the interwebs. Caveat if you have allergies or other challenges. But that will only require a bit more research.

Choose your kit, stick with it for at least a month, go slow, make notes, report back often. AND HAPPY SHAVES!!!!

It isn't complicated or convoluted, but the amount of information and differing opinions here can be overwhelming.

I shave every-other day and rarely use an open comb razor...and sometimes I feel like I'm one of the few members who doesn't have a "coarse beard and sensitive skin"...I have an average beard and average skin.

My advice would be to get a mild to mid aggressive razor (or an adjustable razor) and a name brand blade...and work on your shaving skills.

For example, you should be able to get a great shave from a pre-war Tech (or Superspeed) or a Razorock Game Changer and any Gillette blade.

Yes, there are many capable razors and blades to choose from, but the most critical variable is you.

Welcome to the show 🙂👍

GC SLOC received in mail today along with a free box of Derby Extra blades, the Astra Superior Stainless and Feather Hi Stainless I ordered to try.
Used the Derby to try tonight on 3 day old growth. Even with it being 40+ years since using a DE, no issues or learning curve to speak of. The blade is noisy when cutting. No problems with the open comb, razor cleans out easy.
Biggest problem was trying to get blades out of the box, into the razor. Beat up fingers from remodeling and such from life.

Excellent ! I'm happy the SLOC worked -- its description seemed to fit your needs quite closely.

Now comes the hard part:

. . . Don't change _anything_ in your preparation or technique, for a week or two.

Since you have a good first shave, stick to that blade/soap/prep for a while. You should then have a firm baseline for comparison, before experimenting with other blades, etc.

Happy shaving! --

. CHarles

I did notice, one reason I bought from them. But I noticed last night, prices of both top plates are high for RR

The Mission, Mentor, and Old Type heads can all be purchased for $7.99 US. They are not stainless, but they are plenty good enough to experiment with and eventually guide your razor type preference before you pay big bucks for a machined one.

But for now, as others have said, stick to your SLOC for a little while.

It isn't complicated or convoluted, but the amount of information and differing opinions here can be overwhelming.

I shave every-other day and rarely use an open comb razor...and sometimes I feel like I'm one of the few members who doesn't have a "coarse beard and sensitive skin"...I have an average beard and average skin.

My advice would be to get a mild to mid aggressive razor (or an adjustable razor) and a name brand blade...and work on your shaving skills.

For example, you should be able to get a great shave from a pre-war Tech (or Superspeed) or a Razorock Game Changer and any Gillette blade.

Yes, there are many capable razors and blades to choose from, but the most critical variable is you.

Welcome to the show 🙂👍
Actually you’re right. It’s not complicated. It’s a razor, I’ve used DE for years before. Tho the chart says medium, for me it’s more mild. But it’s efficient which is what matters, I am done as quick as with a CR. No big deal. I shaved again tonight out of curiosity, changed to the Persona blade, better than that Derby freebies they sent.
i will simply use the razor, find a blade I like and buy several hundred. Done deal. I have more important things to enjoy in life.

Actually you’re right. It’s not complicated. It’s a razor, I’ve used DE for years before. Tho the chart says medium, for me it’s more mild. But it’s efficient which is what matters, I am done as quick as with a CR. No big deal. I shaved again tonight out of curiosity, changed to the Persona blade, better than that Derby freebies they sent.
i will simply use the razor, find a blade I like and buy several hundred. Done deal. I have more important things to enjoy in life.

Done deal?

Probably not. If you stick around here, you're very, very likely to expand your horizons and look beyond the one razor/one blade routine.

And really, you have more important things to enjoy in life? C'mon now!😊

Done deal?

Probably not. If you stick around here, you're very, very likely to expand your horizons and look beyond the one razor/one blade routine.

And really, you have more important things to enjoy in life? C'mon now!😊
Fly fishing, my dog, my wife, retirement…….

Top Bottom