What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

Wed 7th Aug.

Alu. General + ES Claymore handle & Schick Proline [ 5 ]

IMG_0610.jpg

Ever Ready 1914/PTFE (4)

View attachment 1005285

I don't find the short handles on these very comfortable, though they make the razor nice and maneuverable. I've been wanting to make a different handle and finally got to it. I dug a piece of 5/8-inch copper rod out of the junkpile, and spent a couple of afternoons with a half-round file. Laid out the grooves with a pipe-cutter, carved 'em in with a hacksaw. Strictly a job of Old Hippie Machinework.

I have a nondestructive hack for the old 8-24 threads these things had: I put a 6-32 screw down the hole and tap a 6-32 into the handle.

Results: It's kind of a tank. [grin] But it puts a little more kinetic energy into the shave. Mass, too, which keeps the razor from jittering over the bumpier spots on my skull. I made it in copper because I had copper. [shrug] Probably I'll go looking for some 1/2-inch brass to explore some other ideas on.

O.H.

Love the look of that handle.

27EB9016-445E-44D8-921D-A6C0AD76EB5C.jpeg

Ever Ready Lather Catcher
Gem PTFE (lost count of shaves)
Rubberset 200-5 w/ 30mm Maggard 2 band
GD Pre-Shave
GD Valencia
Skinbracer/Stirling Glacial unscented balm

Still getting use to this razor so it’s not the best shave, but still a great one!

Ever Ready 1914/PTFE (4)

View attachment 1005285

I don't find the short handles on these very comfortable, though they make the razor nice and maneuverable. I've been wanting to make a different handle and finally got to it. I dug a piece of 5/8-inch copper rod out of the junkpile, and spent a couple of afternoons with a half-round file. Laid out the grooves with a pipe-cutter, carved 'em in with a hacksaw. Strictly a job of Old Hippie Machinework.
I have a nondestructive hack for the old 8-24 threads these things had: I put a 6-32 screw down the hole and tap a 6-32 into the handle.
Results: It's kind of a tank. [grin] But it puts a little more kinetic energy into the shave. Mass, too, which keeps the razor from jittering over the bumpier spots on my skull. I made it in copper because I had copper. [shrug] Probably I'll go looking for some 1/2-inch brass to explore some other ideas on.
O.H.

I like the work you did. I changed the handle on my ER-1914 also. I just re-tapped the head and put a Merkur 1904 hex handle (model 41/42) on it.

Yesterday and Today, continued on with my OneBlade Hybrid, with a GEM Blade (2nd & 3rd). Currently the blade isn't 'loose' for floating, so a bit more grinding might be needed on the notches. - Without the float, it's quite a bit more aggressive on that ATG pass on the mustache area, even giving a weeper or two.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Love the look of that handle.

Thanks! You can tell I'm better with a file than with a hacksaw. I keep meaning to keep an eye out for a good old small lathe for making things like this. Then I forget about it, and then I get another project...

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I like the work you did. I changed the handle on my ER-1914 also. I just re-tapped the head and put a Merkur 1904 hex handle (model 41/42) on it.

That's also a cool idea. And Thanks! I did the final surface finish on a brass buffing wheel. It left a lightly pebbled surface that seems to help keep the grip.

This thing just went from a pretty-good razor to a great one.

O.H.

Thanks! You can tell I'm better with a file than with a hacksaw. I keep meaning to keep an eye out for a good old small lathe for making things like this. Then I forget about it, and then I get another project...

O.H.

I have a wood lathe, I would really like a metal lathe.

4F3699FD-D51C-487F-A36E-1EE181A9A82B.jpeg

Went with my new-to-me Gem OC Damaskeene. The shave was pretty good. Felt like a combination of my Jr Bar and 1912. It didn’t kill my face like my MMOC even though it is an open comb. The alum and Snake Bit told me it was fairly irritation free. Definitely a Keeper in my den.

Used two different razors, my Schick Adjustable (Chinese Schick, 8th), and OneBlade Hybrid (GEM, 5th). Once I was as close/smooth as I could get on the Schick side, I then took a pass with the OneBlade Hybrid, which actually took a bit more off, which surprised me that I could actually hear the GEM removing just a bit more. - The Schick didn't pickup anything on the OneBlade side, I did try it.

Interestingly to say the least. I have a injector of Schick-Twins, which I'll need to try next.

Razor: Schick E2 Injector
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Omega 80265 boar
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Noble Otter Two Kings
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

SOTD 08/08/2019

Top Bottom