What's new

Scuttles!

Great, now I have to figure out which creams or soaps don't break down in the heat.

Just got my G12 yesterday and used it this morning. Filled it with hot tap, filled bowl, showered, emptied and fill again with hot water. I used Proraso Green and had no problem with lather breaking down. It was easier to lather and produced more lather. The lather stayed warm for 3 passes and touchups and probably good for a few more passes if needed. Worked great and convinced me it was a nice investment. Amazing to feel warm lather with each pass.

$GP G12.jpeg

Fortunately I don't have room for a scuttle in my tiny apartment. But they sure are lovely in the photos, and such a cool kind of shaving gear.

I'm waiting on my becker now! I was lucky enough to order his first #1 order so now I play the waiting game

I have tried several commercial scuttles but was not happy with them.
I wanted a warmer lather most of the time with a temperature over which I had some control. So I made my own electric scuttle.
The stainless steel bowl gives a very warm lather. The black aluminum bowl which is thicker provides a cooler lather.
I can also exercise some control over the temperature by scooping the lather from the bottom for hot and gradually cooler as I go up the side of the bowl.
I also wanted the temperature in the bowl to remain constant. Mine will last for hours.

The entire rig less aluminum bowl cost $26.00 CAN.
Time spent - mostly for handle for aluminum bowel was about 1-1/2 hours but cost nothing. And about 15 minutes negotiating with the cat for his water bowl.

Mickey

Last edited:
I wanted a warmer lather most of the time with a temperature over which I had some control. So I made my own electric scuttle.
The stainless steel bowl gives a very warm lather. The black aluminum bowl which is thicker provides a cooler lather.
I can also exercise some control over the temperature by scooping the lather from the bottom for hot and gradually cooler as I go up the side of the bowl.
I also wanted the temperature in the bowl to remain constant. Mine will last for hours.

Time spent - mostly for handle for aluminum bowel was about 1-1/2 hours. And about 15 minutes negotiating with the cat for his water bowl.

Mickey

Holy....

I have 3 Beckers.

+1 for this observation; however IMHO warm lather really adds to the experience if not the effect of a great shave. I have a Becker scuttle I use daily. Robert Becker is based in San Antonio and sold his wares on Ebay in addition to having his own website (http://rabfeatsofclay.com/). Unfortunately, he is not taking any orders at this time according to his site. His prices are very competitive and his products are hard to beat if / when he starts selling again. If you are not in a hurry it might be worth your time to see if he starts selling again. Good luck with your search and decision.

Got the Georgetown G12 in Hamada Blue and love it. I found a small piece of something in the glaze and they promptly deducted the price to the 'seconds' price.

I have a Dirty Bird (not boy) 1.5, which I use quite often. I like it a lot. I also have a small size Moss Scuttle by Sara Bonnyman, which I don't like as much. It's too small to lather in, which I knew going in. My intention was to use it as a brush scuttle for face lathering. My experience with it is that it just doesn't keep the brush warm at all. I don't think it holds enough water to be effective. The DB, however, does a great job keeping lather warm. I even use it as a lather bowl when I don't warm the lather.

Just remember, when buying a scuttle, that it keeps lather warm, not hot. It is not a hot lather machine.
Rick: I have the small Moss and it keeps my brush warm. Just wondering, do you press down your brush into the Moss between passes? This keeps the brush warm for me.

I had to get one of these in this color! thanks for feeding my shaving G.A.S (gear aquisition syndrome) :a7:

My G20 came in yesterday and I used it last night.....kept lather nice and warm !!!! This was a second and the only thing I could find wrong were some small spots in the glaze.....nothing to hurt the use and performance. I think these are a great deal and I will use it very often for sure. Here are some pics along side a Muhle R41 Grande and a Whipped Dog 22mm with 50 mm loft for somewhat of a size comparison.

View attachment 415035View attachment 415036View attachment 415034

Time spent - mostly for handle for aluminum bowel was about 1-1/2 hours but cost nothing. And about 15 minutes negotiating with the cat for his water bowl.

Mickey

Wow. You, Sir, are a very practical man. Performance trumps presentation, right? After all, why use something pretty if it just doesn't work for you? Kind of like using a Lamborghini to deliver pizza.

Like Turtle said, they all keep your lather warm. I have a Georgetown G12 and I love it. This is the one I chose.

I got the G12 as well...a second, to save some money...in Hamada...it looks perfect to me and it performs flawlessly...a beautiful piece...really adds to the whole experience for me!

Top Bottom