What's new

Proraso Revisited - Is Proraso Only For Beginners? NOT Necessarily.

For today's shave I decided to do something I have NOT done in over a decade or more.

That is, use "Proraso Original" or "Proraso Green" shaving cream.
I actually didn't have any on hand and had to pick some up from a local fancy pharmacy the other day. Also grabbed the AS lotion/splash, which I honestly do not remember trying BITD.

While I was there I got to smell the "Red" version that wasn't available when I started wetshaving. I thought I would go for that one, but it had a weird note to the scent that I didn't like. Don't get me wrong, I like woody scents and sandalwood scents, but their interpretation of such wasn't for me. So, on with the "classic" eucalyptus + menthol version.

Preheated my scuttle, then squeezed out a 3-4 cm "snurdle" of the cream which I then applied to the top and "core" of the brush. Let that warm up a bit in the scuttle and lathered up. Note that I rarely use mentholated creams or soaps anymore and was surprised how this one hit. It was a bit chillier than I remember from BITD! Face definitely felt pretty cold even though the lather and brush were warm.

For the razor I pulled out my Gillette Super Adjustable and loaded a Feather blade. Left it on mild settings, 2 and 3 today. I rarely use this razor anymore except for backup/travel duty. It was my first DE razor though so I have a bit of sentimental value attached to it. It is a great shaver, provided you use proper technique. Never found much use for settings above 5 if I am being honest.

The AS splash is quite nice. It has the eucalyptus + menthol but also a sweet, citrusy note to it and is quite refreshing. I wouldn't mind using this with a non-mentholated cream honestly.

Now recently I have heard some folks complain about this stuff. Menthol creams are not for everyone. If they're not for you, you probably want to choose a different "flavor". They some interesting ones out now but it's a bit of a gamble since some of those are website exclusives only.

I noticed the cream no longer contains SLS which IIRC the old cream and tub soap did. I had zero problems lathering it up quite thick. If you're having problems lathering this stuff you need to look at your water hardness, how much product you are using, and your overall lather building skills. This stuff lathers fine and the lather is very stable, even in a heated scuttle.

It's getting colder here and honestly I probably won't use this cream much until summer comes around again. It should be very refreshing at that time, though I probably wouldn't use it more than 1-2 times a week because I don't prefer creams with menthol. Nothing wrong with it per se.

My 2 cents.

sotd 11-15 proraso.jpg

Last edited:
For my part I love Proraso Green and think it should be used by newbies & pros alike.

In my years of wet shaving I have used WAY more of this stuff than anything else. So, with the caveat that I have probably dialled in the lather by now 😉 , I find that a tub of PG outperforms pretty much every soap I have ever tried ( incl. the artisan stuff).

The aftershave is always a refreshing delight as well.

For me, if there could only be one, it would be Proraso Green.

If I've not given Proraso Green much attention lately, it is only because I used it so exclusively as my summertime cream that I am interested in exploring what else I'm missing. Certainly not because I feel I've moved past it in any way.

The Proraso Green in the tube is better than the version in the plastic tub. I think they reformulated it awhile back to take out some of the chemicals people had issues with.

I like the Green aftershave a lot and use it with many other soaps. I got the big 400ml bottle of that along with the big bottle of Floid Vigorosso. You can catch a deal so it's a lot less expensive that way.

The Proraso Green in the tube is better than the version in the plastic tub. I think they reformulated it awhile back to take out some of the chemicals people had issues with.

I like the Green aftershave a lot and use it with many other soaps. I got the big 400ml bottle of that along with the big bottle of Floid Vigorosso. You can catch a deal so it's a lot less expensive that way.
It would probably take me a few decades to finish a 400ml bottle of one aftershave. I have aftershaves that are 15 years old that are not finished yet, 100ml or less bottles.

I absolutely love Proraso Green. I use their aftershave exclusively and balm almost exclusively. Preshave has been Proraso Green since basically the start of my DE shaving adventure. Shaving soap definitely although I have been working on 3017’ing other soaps. I love the menthol smell. I can easily see myself settling for Proraso Green when I am done with the other soaps.

Cheers,

Guido

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I absolutely love Proraso Green. I use their aftershave exclusively and balm almost exclusively. Preshave has been Proraso Green since basically the start of my DE shaving adventure. Shaving soap definitely although I have been working on 3017’ing other soaps. I love the menthol smell. I can easily see myself settling for Proraso Green when I am done with the other soaps.

Cheers,

Guido
Guido, Proraso Blue is just as great. Performance-wise maybe even slightly better than the Green. My last shaves with the Blue have all been spectacular!

To me, there is no better lather than Proraso Blue.

The metal tube is also awesome.

I've used a dozen or so tubes over the past few years. It is my benchmark for comparing other soaps and creams, regardless of their price point.

Our son is now using Proraso creams and I recently transitioned him to the soap (for a change) and face lathering.

Screenshot_20231118-120533.png

Guido, Proraso Blue is just as great.
Thanks Marco - duly noted! I have one tube and one tub to go through of Proraso Green.

I have also scored a tube of Intesa by the way. Should you still not have secured one, let me know. I will keep it on the back burner with your name on it if necessary.

Cheers,

Guido

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I started with Proraso, as it was available at my local drugstore. I’ve only used their soap and thought it was ok, it did the job just fine. I’ve since moved on to other soaps.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thanks Marco - duly noted! I have one tube and one tub to go through of Proraso Green.

I have also scored a tube of Intesa by the way. Should you still not have secured one, let me know. I will keep it on the back burner with your name on it if necessary.

Cheers,

Guido
Thank you very much, Guido!

Guido, Proraso Blue is just as great. Performance-wise maybe even slightly better than the Green. My last shaves with the Blue have all been spectacular!
The blue is my second favorite Proraso cream behind the Wood and Spice single blade

lasta

Blade Biter
Proraso Green is a staple in my bathroom!

Gone through at least 2 soaps, and just squeezed the last bit of my 500ml bladder into a tub.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I wholeheartedly agree that the blue has the slightest edge over the green. Both of them are excellent choices though
I wish Proraso made a true Lavender cream and soap, fragranced with pure Lavender Oil. Honestly, I do not understand why they do not do it. Tuscany is famous in Italy for the richness and abundance of Lavender plants. Anyway, should that happen one day, I already know which would be my new favourite.

Top Bottom