What's new

My quest for the best scuttle.

PAA makes the intergalactic indestructible scuttle for $29.95. Will hold hot water, though no experience with it or how long it keeps things hot. The only reason i haven't picked one up yet is because it looks a bit too narrow and i hate for my brushes to rub against the sides. Doesn't look bad for $30.

I was looking for a scuttle, but thanks!
ah my ignorance, my bad...they make coffee mugs too...hahah I didn't realize the scuttle existed like that...perhaps when time permits I'll make a few at the local pottery classes...seems like I could charge 200$ since people are willing to pay 50 bucks for a teapot with a hole in it...

But of course mine would have hand painted glazes...

ah my ignorance, my bad...they make coffee mugs too...hahah I didn't realize the scuttle existed like that...perhaps when time permits I'll make a few at the local pottery classes...seems like I could charge 200$ since people are willing to pay 50 bucks for a teapot with a hole in it...

But of course mine would have hand painted glazes...
You can get handmade, hand painted scuttles from true Artisans who have been doing it for decades, for $65-80.

The OP was looking for one that wasn't breakable, which limits materials used.

Last edited:
This obviously is not a scuttle, but it works great for keeping lather warm. And I like warm lather irregardless of the season.
After whipping up the lather I set it in a sink partially filled with hot water. Works great, and the handle certainly lessons the possibility of breakage.
Anyway, good luck in your search.
IMG_1264.jpeg

You can get handmade, hand painted scuttles from true Artisans who have been doing it for decades, for $65-80.

The OP was looking for one that wasn't breakable, which limits materials used.
Yep. The Pereira is great, but it picked up a chip...too easily for this house. For dishes, my wife and I have TJ MAXX on direct deposit. Does anyone make food-safe ballistic dinner plates?

I used to always use my scuttle during the winter months, but we just redesigned our master bath with an incredible walk-in shower. Now I just use the Captain's Choice copper lather bowl year around.

I used to always use my scuttle during the winter months, but we just redesigned our master bath with an incredible walk-in shower. Now I just use the Captain's Choice copper lather bowl year around.
I think my wife might prefer a new bathroom over another shaving thing in the one we have. I like that suggestion!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think my wife might prefer a new bathroom over another shaving thing in the one we have. I like that suggestion!
That would definitely answer the question: Have you saved money wet shaving??? Ummm no... We put in a new bathroom, top to bottom...

...So, I started looking for metal shaving scuttles that would do a good job and would be wife approved. The only one I found so far was Naked Armor's. While I'm sure it would be fine, something in brass, Copper or aluminum might be worth looking into as well, if they exist. Additional choices in Stainless would also be nice...
I have bad news for you: Keeping Your Warm Drinks Warm – A Thermal Properties Approach

The porcelain challenged.
Good luck with that.

It appears that if one looks for luxury shave during winter months they need steady hands and an understanding wife/partner.
In other words, if you are klutzy and have chosen wrong partner, well... you suffer, or use psychological crutches to get through life.
So, learn to use your hands and fix the unfixable. Then you can have luxury. Ha.

Maybe Boundless Voyage Titanium Double-Wall Bowl 250ml/350ml will get you there, for now. Mind you, further testing is required to prove it worthwhile.

I have this and love it. I put a cup of water in the microwave for 90-120 seconds. Pour into the scuttle. take my shower then whip up the lather. Just recently added a personal tea kettle in the bathroom - heat up the water while in the shower, add to the scuttle when done (takes just a couple of minutes to heat up and cools down enough while I am in the shower). I do place it on a towel/washcloth as the marble counter will suck the heat out of anything.

I also have a couple of pottery scuttles as well, had one more but I share your pain.

Another option is Supply (the single blade razor folks) have a marble bowl that if you soak in hot water holds the heat well (and they roughed up the interior so the lather forms quickly. I also have a granite bowl that does the same thing. drop those though and you might have to replace the floor instead of the bowl. There are also inexpensive suribachi bowls from MTC Kitchen that hold heat very well and lather up even better - but they too are pottery. I fill the sink with hot (well technically lukewarm if I don't let it run for a while) water, put in the suribachi, then add water from the kettle after the pottery has had time to adjust.

Last edited:
I would never recommend using a suribachi bowl or any ceramic bowl with rough interior as I believe they will destroy your brush. Just an uneducated opinion, as I am not an expert. :001_rolle
You are probably right. That said, I could never feel enough difference between a high-end badger and my middle of the road synthetics - so that is predominantly what I use. My uneducated skin seems to prefer my Yaqi synthetics and AP synthetics over my badger, boar, and horse brushes. I haven't used the natural brushes in my surbichis, granite, or marble bowls probably because I don't use the naturals much (though for some reason the horse hair works really well for me with glycerin based soaps which I habitually face lather and have no clue why). I haven't noticed any deterioration in the synthetics, but I may still be too gaijin in my wet shaving experience to appreciate the difference. I enjoy how quickly and smoothly the suribachi forms the lather.

I would never recommend using a suribachi bowl or any ceramic bowl with rough interior as I believe they will destroy your brush. Just an uneducated opinion, as I am not an expert. :001_rolle
While you're probably right, it got me thinking. If the soap protects our skin by lubricating it so the razor glides over it, shouldn't it do the same thing for the brush hairs relative to the ridges (suribachi) and grit (granite or marble) bowls? :crazy:

Top Bottom