What's new

Proraso Revisited - Is Proraso Only For Beginners? NOT Necessarily.

I shaved with Proraso red cream for the first time is it normal for the cream to be yellow in colour? The cream didn’t have much of a scent compared to the soap I’ve been using and performance was average. Have I got an old batch?

Santa Claus brought my son a tube of Proraso green. I've been using the What The Puck's green and black soaps for the past year. Yesterday, I put a pea sized amount of Proraso to shave. The blade noticeably glided across my face a lot slicker than the puck soaps. Love the smell. Used the red in the past. Both are awesome.

Santa Claus brought my son a tube of Proraso green. I've been using the What The Puck's green and black soaps for the past year. Yesterday, I put a pea sized amount of Proraso to shave. The blade noticeably glided across my face a lot slicker than the puck soaps. Love the smell. Used the red in the past. Both are awesome.
That's funny, I've been increasingly tempted by the What the Puck variety pack (and still might just for variety).
I too have been surprised after some time away from Proraso. It sets an excellent standard.

I shaved with Proraso red cream for the first time is it normal for the cream to be yellow in colour? The cream didn’t have much of a scent compared to the soap I’ve been using and performance was average. Have I got an old batch?
I unsuccessfully tried to like sandlewood, so this tube has been sitting around for several years at room temperature. The white paper towel and harsh LED light is not an ideal photo setting, but I'd say the cream is white in real life too. Perhaps a little yellow??? It was definitely never pink or red like like the tube itself, in case that is what you were expecting. The cream pretty much matches a newer batch of green.

It still lathers and smells the same as far as I can recall. It would be difficult to compare opinions on scent strength.

If anything, I think the green is a little slicker (the opposite of most opinions), but any difference is marginal at best and the products are most likely the same primary formula with minor scent tweaks messing with our brains.

It takes a lot for soap/cream to go bad, so maybe Proraso just isn't your thing? That's okay...sort of.😄

20240110_194453.jpg

I unsuccessfully tried to like sandlewood, so this tube has been sitting around for several years at room temperature. The white paper towel and harsh LED light is not an ideal photo setting, but I'd say the cream is white in real life too. Perhaps a little yellow??? It was definitely never pink or red like like the tube itself, in case that is what you were expecting. The cream pretty much matches a newer batch of green.

It still lathers and smells the same as far as I can recall. It would be difficult to compare opinions on scent strength.

If anything, I think the green is a little slicker (the opposite of most opinions), but any difference is marginal at best and the products are most likely the same primary formula with minor scent tweaks messing with our brains.

It takes a lot for soap/cream to go bad, so maybe Proraso just isn't your thing? That's okay...sort of.😄

View attachment 1777990
This is what my cream looks like. I’ll need to use the proraso soap again and compare but to me it seems like the soap does better than the cream.

IMG_1528.jpeg

I had transferred a little bit of the red cream to a small sample jar a year ago or so when I was going on a short trip, and looking at it now, it's turned a bit yellow. I would guess darker even than the photo you posted. I lathered it up out of curiosity and other than needing a little more water to reanimate it, it seemed to work about the same as always. Scent was a little faded though. But it didn't smell off. And, it actually has more scent than the last tube I just opened which I've written about elsewhere. That one is pearly white, though.

That's funny, I've been increasingly tempted by the What the Puck variety pack (and still might just for variety).
I too have been surprised after some time away from Proraso. It sets an excellent standard.
You're not goin g
Pull the trigger its worth it. Each puck lasts 10 months. I've used the blue, the green and now on the black. Love the different scents. Great lather. If you like Aramis, you'll love the black. Green had a great scent as well. My only beef and it doesn't effect me, is they got rid of the plastic container. I'll keep one of the old ones. when I'm finished. I have the yellow left.

Proraso Green was my gateway into DE Shaving.
I loved it upon first use, and still love it today.

Sometimes you get lucky, and find a really great product line for a very reasonable and low price.
(Proraso, MWF, Speick, Fine (old formula) for me)

Other times, you spend the $$$ for quality (SV, MdC, SMN, ADP are my favorite examples)

I do keep both scenarios on my shelf,
but the "cheap" products always make me do a double-take,
and question why I spend for the pricier ones. lol

Proraso Green, proudly stands side-by-side on the shelf with my other favorite "Summer Products",
like SMN, ADP, and SV 70th.

Last edited:
This is what my cream looks like. I’ll need to use the proraso soap again and compare but to me it seems like the soap does better than the cream.
Perhaps there is some age and batch variation, but you would probably still be unhappy with a new tube.

Consider an alternative brand of Sandlewood or different flavor of Proraso?

That said, my Proraso red and green tubes both have the same underlying chemical/soap scent. I cant remember if the tubs were like that or not. It is not wonderful at first sniff, yet not terrible...and highly addicting. It must be the the cocaine that someone else mentioned in another thread.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
My Proraso products:
  • First product tried was the white soap, couldn't appreciate this, the lather and performance were aggressively average, gone to the great trash bin in the sky
  • Refreshing (green) AS really enjoy this
  • Blue (tube) cream good performance, BUT, Palmolive wins
Was very curious about a couple of the Single Edge splash/balm scents (Azur Lime and Vetiver), but sadly stock is running out.

No, I nearly bought a tube of Arko (in store) yesterday, but the price was ludicrous :/

How's the Omega?
IDK. I tried it once and forgot. 🤦‍♂️

I have 1 tube somewhere as a backup to the 5 tubes of my Créme Pogontomienne + Proraso 10 tubes (some red, green and Reserve (hoity-toity 😳)).

Eventually, I’ll try the Omega again. 🤓

Do you bowl lather?

If so you might want to load up some WTP Green, and then put a smidgin of Proraso in your lather bowl and combine them. Just a thought.

Top Bottom