What's new

Scuttles!

I just posted this in Shopping Deals Thread::
I just called Georgetown Pottery about their discounted Scuttle seconds. I was inquiring about a G20 and was told they had pretty much every color in seconds. I got a G20 Scuttle that sells for $62 for $35. They explained that the second are slight cosmetic flaws only like maybe a pinhole in the glaze or other small imperfections. This is a great deal if anyone was thinking about buy one but didn't want to pay full price.

Danny

Great find Danny. I looked online for seconds, but couldn't find anything. Hadn't even thought about calling. Will do that this week. What color did you get?

Wow. Thanks for the great responses. Question about the Dirty Bird. Is the diameter of the bowl big enough to accommodate most pucks if I wanted to try something different?

thaudout, I ordered the Hamada/Blue and it will be shipped out Monday. I decided to call them because I saw on this thread that someone said that they had bought a second from them. I did'nt think that they would have that many but talking to them on the phone about available colors they said that they had pretty much all colors in seconds. They also have the smaller G12 in seconds too. Small cosmetic flaws don't bother me for that kind of savings, they assured me that all of the flaws were very minor and that they only sold the "perfect" pots at full price and if a pot had more than a very minor flaw that it was just destroyed and not sold at all.

Danny

I have an S-Scuttle from the makers at Swartzweisskeramik in Germany. Well worth the money spent, hand made and keeps your lather warm for the entire shave. Strong enough to withstand boiling water!

Frank

Lakebound,
How do you get the brush in that to whip up the lather. The pedestal in the middle looks like it would be in the way?

Lakebound,
How do you get the brush in that to whip up the lather. The pedestal in the middle looks like it would be in the way?

That is the soap cup that came with the scuttle. It is removable and is used to store your soap in. You grate and pack in your favorite shaving soap in it to load your brush and then you transfer it into the main scuttle. I keep it in the scuttle upside down when not in use to keep the soap covered.

Frank

Gents, thank you for your assistance. It was really tough to decide because they were all really nice. It really did boil down to personal taste. I went with the Georgetown G20 in Black. Now I just wait.

Newb question inbound ! Are scuttles only used for creams ? Could you load your brush with a puck then lather in a scuttle like a bowel ?

+1 for this observation; however IMHO warm lather really adds to the experience if not the effect of a great shave. I have a Becker scuttle I use daily. Robert Becker is based in San Antonio and sold his wares on Ebay in addition to having his own website (http://rabfeatsofclay.com/). Unfortunately, he is not taking any orders at this time according to his site. His prices are very competitive and his products are hard to beat if / when he starts selling again. If you are not in a hurry it might be worth your time to see if he starts selling again. Good luck with your search and decision.

+1 for Bob Becker. His scuttles are beautiful and you can't beat his prices.

I have a Becker and a Georgetown. Frankly, I use them principally for show. I was disappointed with the idea of scuttles since I was not really getting warm lather out of them. It was also difficult to generate a good lather out of them...probably bad technique on my part. It's just easier for me to lather right out of the shaving container or just put a dab on top of my fist.

Here's a shout-out for Sarah Welch Pottery, which I found on Etsy when I was looking for a scuttle myself. As others have said, this is an item for which aesthetics matter, because you'll likely be looking at it for a while. I liked the proportions on this one (it almost perfectly matched the cereal bowl I had been using), and the surface has swirls and bumps that are functional and pleasing to the eye - or at least, my eye.

Wow. Thanks for the great responses. Question about the Dirty Bird. Is the diameter of the bowl big enough to accommodate most pucks if I wanted to try something different?

Gents, thank you for your assistance. It was really tough to decide because they were all really nice. It really did boil down to personal taste. I went with the Georgetown G20 in Black. Now I just wait.

Most modern scuttles like the GT and DB are for lathering in and do NOT house the soap for storage.

you normally lather your brush on the soap or scoop out some cream into it, then whip it up.

also, too much hear can break down that lather and make it weak and airy.

The Georgetown G20 is a nice looking scuttle. They all seem to do a decent job of keeping lather warm. As noted in a previous post, that's a two edged sword as heat breaks the lather down.

Most of the scuttles from the better known makers are great. My choice? Dirty Bird 1.5 in black.

After reading this and other threads on B&B, I got a severe case of scuttle envy. I had to pull the trigger on a G12 second Hamada & Persimmion. Can't wait to get this and give it a run.

I have been using a Walmart soup mug that worked well but it was a project to heat and keep warm. It also got water everywhere.

I'll have to wait a little longer on my G20........just check my UPS Tracking # and it was supposed to be delivered today but now shows there is a delay because of bad weather........we are in the middle of a bad snow/ice storm here in SE North Carolina.....oh well maybe they will update the tracking # with a new delivery date soon !!!

Danny

Thanks Danny and other posters in this thread. I'm brand new to DE shaving but like the idea of a scuttle. In order to keep it economical, today I ordered a G12 second in Hamada from GP. Looking forward to it.

I'll have to wait a little longer on my G20........just check my UPS Tracking # and it was supposed to be delivered today but now shows there is a delay because of bad weather........we are in the middle of a bad snow/ice storm here in SE North Carolina.....oh well maybe they will update the tracking # with a new delivery date soon !!!

Danny

Right there with you. ALL day it said "Out for Delivery". Now it has the weather delay. Hopefully tomorrow.

Top Bottom