What's new

Scandinavian shaving stuff

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wife and I are just back yesterday from a two-week business-and-fun trip to Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

Of course I wanted to examine the state of DE and other shaving in these Scandinavian countries and relate what I found for the shaving cognoscenti here.

For the trip I didn't want to take anything I couldn't afford to lose (TSA and all) .... so razor-wise, I took a Feather Popular, a well-used Escali badger brush, and the proven La Toja stick. I hoped/figured to purchase odd and exotic shave stuff on the way. This was only semi-succesful, as you may see.

In Denmark: Got off to an interesting start in Denmark. At Fotex, the local grocery chain, plenty of bath/cosmetic stuff is sold. Disappointingly, the Mach 3 seems to be king here, and domestic Danish stuff is scarce. I saw Gillette silver/blue blades (England) here, for 53.00 Danish Kroner (DKK). A rule of thumb for translating kroner into dollars is times two, drop a zero. So these blade five-packs were around $10.60. Yikes! Not a lot of choice ... you can also buy Mach 3's for ... think it was like $60 for a multi-pack.

What I did score was a large bottle of amazing Danish after shave for 50 DKK, or $10. Wished the bottle was smaller, as had to lug it for two weeks and the scent was an unknown. Luckily the stuff turned out to smell great, here it is:

Anyone familiar is welcome to chime in. It seems to be made in Silkeborg, which is the lake district. "Espirt de Valdemar Fougere" can be googled, but not much is learned:

http://www.shampooshoppen.dk/shop/esprit-de-valdemar-5413p.html

A "fougere" is this:

Fougère, pronounced: [fu.ʒɛʁ], meaning "fern-like", is one of the main families into which modern perfumes are classified, with the name derived from the perfume Fougère Royale (Houbigant) by Paul Parquet, now preserved in the archives of the Osmothèque. This class of fragrances have the basic accord with a top-note of lavender and base-notes of oakmoss and coumarin (Tonka bean). Aromatic fougère, a derivative of this class, contains additional notes of herbs, spice and/or wood.
Members of the family are especially popular as fragrances for men. Many modern fougère perfumes have various citrus, herbaceous, green, floral and animalic notes included. The most common modifiers to this basic accord include vetiver and geranium. Bergamotis often present to add sharpness to the lavender top-note.

Anyways. The stuff smells *a little* like Lilac Vegetal, but unlike the Veg, I like this a lot and can wear it.

More on the trip later, with further posts, if people are curious ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Esprit has a nice selection,you picked the best one,good fougeres are hard to find...Is that bottle glass ?

Thin plastic, but it made about seven Scanrail trains and Bergen-Amsterdam-Atlanta-home flights without leaking!

and if anyone's used the stuff, or has comments, please chime in ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Travelled to Aarhus (Denmark) one day and saw "Den Gamle By," the old town- kind of a folk museum of historic buildings and stuff.

There, I stopped in a olde-style merchant's shop and saw "barbersaap," which the proprieter confirmed was shaving soap.

It's mild, and marked for the Den Gamle By. I'd guess it's handmade.

Interestingly, it is the exact size of a La Toja stick, and would fit in the LT container when the LT's done.

(The stuff seems unscented; it's definitely not La Toja).

Notice the drain-hole / manufacturer pin-hole set:

AA

The only Scandinavian shaving product I know of is Fitjar cream, which was from Norway.

Sadly, they are no longer in business, having been strangled by EU regulations that forced them out of business.

Even sadder, I never got a chance to try any.

$viking-sword.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Oh. Viking stuff.

I saw plenty of that ... here's the Gokstad ship (I think) from the Viking Ship Museum

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Any thoughts or theories on the pattern of holes on the end of the shaving soap stick?

The La Toja seemed to have them too, though with the stick being rounded/used, it's hard to see.

AA

Any thoughts or theories on the pattern of holes on the end of the shaving soap stick?

The La Toja seemed to have them too, though with the stick being rounded/used, it's hard to see.

AA

Those holes match the pins on the plastic holder at the base. I don't have a base on my LaToja stick, but a fresh Erasmic stick has the same pattern. Palmolive and Lea sticks have ribs around the outside, but the principle is the same, to keep the handle from spinning on the stick.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks, Clubman Rob! the info's appreciated, since it's scarce.

Sadly, foreign brands dominate in all three countries; there were some domestic canned goos, which I skipped.

Did see antique Gillettes in some places, not for sale. A handmade shave soap cake in another. (Expensive and in a box with packing fluff).

Mostly the mighty (meh) Mach 3 is today's viking's weapon of choice. As it is here ... for now.

AA

A few days ago, I talked to a local from Fitjar, here in Norway. The production was halted because of stupid bureacratic EU-rules. But they're about to start again, due to the massive demand.

But one of the greatest Shaving soaps I have ever tried, is "Brutalt Bra Barbersåpe" from Bergums Såpkokeri ("Brutally Good Shaving Soap). The name is a bit of a laugh, but the soap is fantastic. It's not strongly scented, quite soft and a little porous, but the lather is great.

You will not find this soap everywhere. You have to go to one of the very few barber shops in this country, otherwise you'll have to order it online.

I had a very enjoyable trip to Sweden a few weeks ago, but found no worthwhile shaving products at all, either in Mora (good knives though) or Stockholm. All I saw were a few mediocre UK and US colognes and aftershaves at very inflated prices, canned goo and very expensive cart razors.

I had a very enjoyable trip to Sweden a few weeks ago, but found no worthwhile shaving products at all, either in Mora (good knives though) or Stockholm. All I saw were a few mediocre UK and US colognes and aftershaves at very inflated prices, canned goo and very expensive cart razors.

That's the situation here in Norway as well. The good stuff is sold in some very rare shops, they are few and far between. No DE blades are sold in shops here. Classic shaving has just recently been rediscovered, and is still considered a bit "hipster".

Don´t bother looking for some interesting shaving gear when going to Sweden. The stuff we have over here has been in slumber for a thousand of years or so. Yawn.. The contemporary things are not worthwhile.
Pic on a straight from an archaeological site. Nice razor, honing badly needed though.
View attachment 601569

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well. Had a good walk of Gamla Stan while in Stockholm, anyways.

I thought I'd pick up blades as I traveled. Mistake!

There IS one more photo I have to find ... taken in Balestrand, Norway ... shaving-related...

AA

Well. Had a good walk of Gamla Stan while in Stockholm, anyways.

I thought I'd pick up blades as I traveled. Mistake!

There IS one more photo I have to find ... taken in Balestrand, Norway ... shaving-related...
AA

You may actually find some blades here and there but you really need to know where you can find them. The tucks are of course expensive.
The only thing that may be worth picking up over here is an inexpensive AS that is great. It´s more of a tonic really (thus not heavily scented). It has been around for decades. About USD 8 for 250ml, widely found at pharmacies. Contains alcohol,camphor and menthol.
$index.jpg

The only thing that may be worth picking up over here is an inexpensive AS that is great. It´s more of a tonic really (thus not heavily scented). It has been around for decades. About USD 8 for 250ml, widely found at pharmacies. Contains alcohol,camphor and menthol.
View attachment 601559

$One blade -20.jpg

+1, unfortunately since the Aqua Vera Rakvatten is discontinued since a few years.

$One blade -22.jpg

The HEGA is widely available but unfortunately I don't like it...

$One blade -19.jpg

And of course there are always the Heljestrands and the other straights ...

$Heljestrand1.jpg

$Heljestrand2.jpg

$Swedish steel1.jpg

Unfortunately my skin won't tolerate Swedish steel honed by myself... :blushing:

Top Bottom