What's new

Review of Barrister & Mann Taiga shaving soap

I recently acquired a tub of Barrister and Mann's Taiga shaving soap and I have to say right off, I am pleasantly surprised! A disclaimer: This is my own experience and I used a straight razor, which is more demanding on soaps.

The razor: S.K. Colling blue paua shell, Spanish Point 6/8 straight razor.

The Brush: Rudy Vey Black over Butterscotch handle with a 25mm Mühle STF knot.

The Soap: Barrister and Mann Taiga. This soap uses their Omnibus base. This is a seasonal soap that has notes of pine, balsam, and cedar.

The Scent: When I first opened the tub I wasn't impressed. I wanted to be, but it didn't smell like I wanted it to smell. However, experience with B&M and A&E has shown that airing out new soaps pays off. I let it air overnight and then when it came time to shave, I began to load my brush. Then, I started face lathering and WOW! The smell really opened up! It is fairly simple and not overly perfumed. It smells like camping in the spruce and pine forests on the snowy mountain slopes in Alaska and cutting evergreen boughs to lay on the ground for sleeping. Or, using those boughs to make a tight hut for an overnight stay. It brought back a lot of fond memories. I love it!

The Shave: The shave was what one would expect of a B&M Omnibus base soap. The lather built fast and thick. I had to add a little bit more water, but just a few seconds of loading produced enough lather for at least five passes. The soap gave me a slick shave with great cushion. It had top tier residual slickness and I was able to do touchups with the straight razor without fear and no re-lathering. I ended up with a near BBS shave after three passes, WTG, ATG, and XTG and it was comfortable. A DE safety razor would really be marvelous with this soap.

Cleaning: I put this here because when I went to clean my brush, the soap washed out cleanly and without some of that annoying residual lather hiding and sticking in the brush.

Evaluation:

Scent: 9/10
Slickness: 9/10
Cushion: 9/10
Residual Slickness: 9/10
Shaving Comfort: 9/10
Price: 8/10
Average: 8.8

I really like this offering from B&M. I am going to keep a tub of this around from now on. It is clean and fresh and not pretentious or overly complicated.

B&M Taigia is a great soap with a nice Pine scent. Have a bottle of the A/S and a sample of the soap, obviously use the aftershave a lot more especially during the Fall and Winter months.

The Latha line was a inexpensive yet high quality soap base with less complex scents than the regular B&M line. Always great to see reviews like this and hear peoples thoughts on products. Thanks for the review!

I had a great Sunday shave today with this wonder, fresh smelling Omnibus base soap. It had a smell like walking through a pine forest with a gentle breeze wafting the scent down to you. It was a good experience. So far, this is my favorite outdoor scent soap.

I used a 30mm Yaqi Monster barber pole brush and loaded it in the tub. Then, I turned to my moistened face to build the lather. It came up nice and creamy and lots of it. I took it off with my S.K. Colling straight razor and I had a smooth glide in all directions. Very nice. The residual slickness was such that it took a few washings with water to get all of the soap off of my face afterwards. However, I was left feeling clean and hydrated.

I smell great and feel great. This was just the right pick-me-up this morning.

I don't have the cojones for a straight razor myself, but Barrister and Mann is a quality performer in my book. I'm working through a tub of Melange at the moment and love it. Now I need Taiga!

I don't have the cojones for a straight razor myself, but Barrister and Mann is a quality performer in my book. I'm working through a tub of Melange at the moment and love it. Now I need Taiga!
The straight razor isn't hard, though there is a slight learning curve. Several of us can teach you. I learned through a couple of videos. The keys are have a good razor (not an expensive one) that has been professionally honed, an okay leather and fabric strop (don't buy expensive right away), and hold the razor so that it is about one or one and a half spine thickness off of the face or neck. A very important thing is to use a very good soap, like Barrister and Mann, that has the slickness, cushion, and residual slickness needed.

I recently acquired a tub of Barrister and Mann's Taiga shaving soap and I have to say right off, I am pleasantly surprised! A disclaimer: This is my own experience and I used a straight razor, which is more demanding on soaps.

The Soap: Barrister and Mann Taiga. This soap uses their Omnibus base. This is a seasonal soap that has notes of pine, balsam, and cedar.

The Scent: When I first opened the tub I wasn't impressed. I wanted to be, but it didn't smell like I wanted it to smell. However, experience with B&M and A&E has shown that airing out new soaps pays off. I let it air overnight and then when it came time to shave, I began to load my brush. Then, I started face lathering and WOW! The smell really opened up! It is fairly simple and not overly perfumed. It smells like camping in the spruce and pine forests on the snowy mountain slopes in Alaska and cutting evergreen boughs to lay on the ground for sleeping. Or, using those boughs to make a tight hut for an overnight stay. It brought back a lot of fond memories. I love it!

The Shave: The shave was what one would expect of a B&M Omnibus base soap. The lather built fast and thick. I had to add a little bit more water, but just a few seconds of loading produced enough lather for at least five passes. The soap gave me a slick shave with great cushion. It had top tier residual slickness and I was able to do touchups with the straight razor without fear and no re-lathering. I ended up with a near BBS shave after three passes, WTG, ATG, and XTG and it was comfortable. A DE safety razor would really be marvelous with this soap.

Cleaning: I put this here because when I went to clean my brush, the soap washed out cleanly and without some of that annoying residual lather hiding and sticking in the brush.

Evaluation:

I really like this offering from B&M. I am going to keep a tub of this around from now on. It is clean and fresh and not pretentious or overly complicated.
Omnibus is a top3 base im my books.

Excellent shave man.

Hoping Melange makes a resurgence with Dune-2 soon to release.
If you don't have the splash, Capt's Choice Cat o Nine Tails is an adequate complement
The straight razor isn't hard, though there is a slight learning curve. Several of us can teach you. I learned through a couple of videos. The keys are have a good razor (not an expensive one) that has been professionally honed, an okay leather and fabric strop (don't buy expensive right away), and hold the razor so that it is about one or one and a half spine thickness off of the face or neck. A very important thing is to use a very good soap, like Barrister and Mann, that has the slickness, cushion, and residual slickness needed.
Another tip is to take your time; both in learning the technique and with each shave. One would never want to test the Gods rushing through a straight's shave. As @Doc Dan mentions here; it's imperative to have your blade honemeistered
I agree. There are only two I like as much, the old Mitchell's Wool Fat (maybe better for me) and Ariana & Evans Kaizen 2e. The Omnibus base is definitely at the top.
Along with Omnibus, I've found Grooming Dept's Kairos/Kairos SE, and Stirling's Mutton base are super as well

If you don't have the splash, Capt's Choice Cat o Nine Tails is an adequate complement

Another tip is to take your time; both in learning the technique and with each shave. One would never want to test the Gods rushing through a straight's shave. As @Doc Dan mentions here; it's imperative to have your blade honemeistered

Along with Omnibus, I've found Grooming Dept's Kairos/Kairos SE, and Stirling's Mutton base are super as well
Agreed. McDuffs base v4 is another one

Thanks for the tip! As a lifelong lover of Dune (found a battered 60's copy in my Grandma's attic when I was 17 and read the entire novel in 12 hours), I ordered the soap the first time I heard it was available. I was reluctant to buy the splash for an unknown scent, though, and foolishly failed to get it when available.And honestly, I was a bit indifferent to the scent at first--Melange grew on me slowly.

Now I love it, both performance and scent.

Will definitely try the Captain's Choice. Regards!

Omnibus is probably my favorite base alongside Milksteak and Groom Dept's Kairos. Replies are starting to sound like a broken record at this point. I'd love for B&M to re-release Petrichor, I think that scent is almost at masterpiece level. Taiga is an awesome scent by the way, had a sample of it... when I first got into this and regret not buying it. Same with at least trying Melange.

Bold statement: I don't care for Seville, and I don't like Cool or Waves. I get why Seville is liked especially as a soap.

Omnibus is probably my favorite base alongside Milksteak and Groom Dept's Kairos. Replies are starting to sound like a broken record at this point. I'd love for B&M to re-release Petrichor, I think that scent is almost at masterpiece level. Taiga is an awesome scent by the way, had a sample of it... when I first got into this and regret not buying it. Same with at least trying Melange.

Bold statement: I don't care for Seville, and I don't like Cool or Waves. I get why Seville is liked especially as a soap.
I like Cool, not Waves. Seville I like, but it isn't my favorite, somehow. I like Reserve Classic and Reserve Lavender much better (especially Lavender!).

Evaluation:

I am curious. In your view which soaps/ creams have a slickness or residual slickness of of 10/10?

I am curious. In your view which soaps/ creams have a slickness or residual slickness of of 10/10?
For me (and others might have a different experience) Mitchell's Wool Fat Tallow (previous to this new idiotic reformulation) is a 10/10. It is the shaving soap by which I judge all others. A&E K2e is abut a 9.75 or better. Stirling Unscented Beeswax is about that, or better. A 9 is very slick in my book, and slicker than most.

I'm no expert, but I've been shaving a long time and I've tried a lot of soaps, more-so in the last three or four years. I've got about 30 soaps in my cabinet, a few of which are new to me and I am trying out. I've thrown away or given away a lot of soaps that just didn't make the grade. Since I started shaving with a straight razor, a lot of soaps that I thought were good, weren't any longer. When I rate a soap nowadays it is based on using a straight razor, so keep that in mind. Many soaps do very well with a DE safety razor, but not with a straight.

For me (and others might have a different experience) Mitchell's Wool Fat Tallow (previous to this new idiotic reformulation) is a 10/10. It is the shaving soap by which I judge all others. A&E K2e is abut a 9.75 or better. Stirling Unscented Beeswax is about that, or better. A 9 is very slick in my book, and slicker than most.

I'm no expert, but I've been shaving a long time and I've tried a lot of soaps, more-so in the last three or four years. I've got about 30 soaps in my cabinet, a few of which are new to me and I am trying out. I've thrown away or given away a lot of soaps that just didn't make the grade. Since I started shaving with a straight razor, a lot of soaps that I thought were good, weren't any longer. When I rate a soap nowadays it is based on using a straight razor, so keep that in mind. Many soaps do very well with a DE safety razor, but not with a straight.
What I have found is that Stirling is actually not a very easy soap to lather. With the mutton tallow I get a decent lather with my standard technique for soft soaps (scooping and bowl lathering), but I get a much better lather if I face lather soap that has been loaded onto the brush directly from the puck. I actually have to work the lather quite a bit, but it does turn into a wonderful lather. I would be tempted to try the Beeswax, but I just have too many soaps now.

I definitely agree that MWF tallow is a 10.

What I have found is that Stirling is actually not a very easy soap to lather. With the mutton tallow I get a decent lather with my standard technique for soft soaps (scooping and bowl lathering), but I get a much better lather if I face lather soap that has been loaded onto the brush directly from the puck. I actually have to work the lather quite a bit, but it does turn into a wonderful lather. I would be tempted to try the Beeswax, but I just have too many soaps now.

I definitely agree that MWF tallow is a 10.
That is how I lather. I eschewed a bowl sometime back and lather on my face. Sometimes I will lather in my hand for a bit and then move to my face if I got the lather too watery or other reason. The B&M Omnibus base needs no help, though, either from the Stirling beeswax or from hand lathering. It is super easy to use.

Top Bottom