What's new

Sandalwood suggestions

I've been going on a tear buying various Sandalwood frags & EOs. :blushing: So far, I can recommend this EO. It's strong, woody & absolutely beautiful.

Thanks for the tip. :thumbup1: I just looked on the website and it is now 20% off! It still seems a bit pricey for such a small amount, but EO goes a long way.

SCS and similar vendors do such a great job on so many fronts, but it's still hard to get a masculine woods splash. I keep hoping that someone will realize how many Cade lovers there were and come out with "Sharp Cedar-Pine-Sandalwood-Juniper lumberyard pencil shavings tree explosion."

Might have to tweak the name, though.

Yes oh yes please! :thumbup:

Thanks for the tip. :thumbup1: I just looked on the website and it is now 20% off! It still seems a bit pricey for such a small amount, but EO goes a long way.

It does indeed. Make sure you mix it w/a carrier oil before applying it to your skin. Don't do what I did. I put a single, undiluted drop onto my chest one morning. It smelled amazing -- and itched like hell all day long. :blushing:

You know, I found this stuff to be a little too light. But that was just on the scent card given to me by the counter lady. Is it a bit more pungent when you wear it?

It is certainly not light! AOS' Sandalwood lasts a very long time on me. I've smelled it the next morning after applying the afternoon before.

It is certainly not light! AOS' Sandalwood lasts a very long time on me. I've smelled it the next morning after applying the afternoon before.

+1. You need to use a very light hand when applying it. Which is challenging, cause their atomizer sucks.

B

Benroyal

I would strongly recommend the AOS Sandalwood range. Unique smell and calms the skin immediately.

Agree with previous threads that sandalwood is becoming rarer than rocking horse excrement meaning ever increasing prices!!

Apparently studies have shown that women find the smell irresistible and aftershave manufactures have taken note (although I’m not 100% convinced!)

Link to great article about the importance of choosing the right aftershave.

http://dating-advice.suite101.com/article.cfm/fragrances-that-women-find-attractive

yeah, it's been on the endangered list for years, which is why so many companies slip in santalum spicatum or amyris balsamifera knowing the buyer usually assumes it's Mysore.

My comment was more poking at ben + his link placement (felt spammy.)

Ben, if I'm wrong, pm me and I'll send you a blade sampler. I've got 4 or 5 brands I'll probably never get around to.

Last edited:
The AoS Sandalwood is pretty solid. If you lok for it, it does have a bit of a metallic or medicinal tang to it, but it's pretty solid stuff. Great longevity.

I picked up some ogallala sandalwood bay rum and liked it, so I wanted to sort of get my feet wet into the sandalwood world............found arden men sandalwood for 11 dollars on amazon...........I'm still wondering if it is so cheap because it's a cheap version of sandalwood, or if it's cheap because it was discontinued? If anyone knows I'd like to hear where Arden, and or Ogallala rate on being a good example of the scent. Both are fairly inexpensive, so I'm just not sure.

I picked up some ogallala sandalwood bay rum and liked it, so I wanted to sort of get my feet wet into the sandalwood world............found arden men sandalwood for 11 dollars on amazon...........I'm still wondering if it is so cheap because it's a cheap version of sandalwood, or if it's cheap because it was discontinued? If anyone knows I'd like to hear where Arden, and or Ogallala rate on being a good example of the scent. Both are fairly inexpensive, so I'm just not sure.

I'm going to go with Ogallala here.

I've owned both, and by far, Ogallala spanks the crap out of Arden. Arden is a really nice scent for such a low price, but the Ogallala is really exceptional. By far, it's one of the best bayrum/sandalwood (albeit synthetic) scents I've come across.

That said, though, you can't go wrong with picking both of them up.

Be forewarned, though: Arden opens up with a HUGE blast of Lavender along with some astringent/chemical notes; notably oakmoss. It's much more pleasant if it's had time to dry down a bit; an hour, atleast.

I've had huge compliments on both and enjoy the two of them, but, push comes to shove, Ogallala takes that last piece of cake.

YMMV.

There are some great suggestions here, but I implore any fan of GENUINE sandalwood to give Nandita Sandal Oil a try. You can find it on e-Bay for $10 or less. Even if you don't care for it, you're not out much money. I thought I was nuts when my immediate impression of the oil was reminiscent of Floris Sandalwood, but apparently I'm not alone in that assessment.

Oh yea, and a big +1 on samples of more refined sandalwood frags.

+1 Nandita Sandal is awesome. In fact it's the closest thing I've smelled to real sandalwood. Factor in the price and it's ridiculous.

So glad too, cause I was in the hunt for value sandalwoods before this, and came to try Murray & Lanman's Sandalwood....holy god. That stuff has to be the unholy water of the four horseman. After I tried it, even my gag reflex said: "Are you kidding me?" Funk of forty thousand years meets New York taxi cab floor? Anyone? Anyone?

The AoS Sandalwood is pretty solid. If you lok for it, it does have a bit of a metallic or medicinal tang to it, but it's pretty solid stuff. Great longevity.

+1. StylinLA, you're right about the "medicinal tang". It is really nice, though.

SCS and similar vendors do such a great job on so many fronts, but it's still hard to get a masculine woods splash. I keep hoping that someone will realize how many Cade lovers there were and come out with "Sharp Cedar-Pine-Sandalwood-Juniper lumberyard pencil shavings tree explosion."

Might have to tweak the name, though.

How about "Lumberjack"?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL7n5mEmXJo[/YOUTUBE]

I have and enjoy AoS Sandalwood. I wanted to get a great sandalwood that I could also replace easily. AoS fits the bill.

The funny thing is, after I got the AoS, I began to appreciate my Arden more. There's something from another era about that blast of lavender and sandalwood that comes out of the gigantic atomizer. I was going to put it up on the BST, but it's back in my rotation again.

Top Bottom