What's new

Sandalwood suggestions

I got my Nandita Sandal Oil last week and it sucks the big one! If anyone wants to buy it PM me.

Just curious mostly, but what is it you do not like about the Nandita?

I like it, but it is more ashram than edt.

I really do need to get a hold of some truly vintage Mysore sandalwood oil and find out what sandal wood is supposed to smell like because I have no idea.

It smells very synthetic to my nose, and doesn't last all day like many have mentioned (I have dry skin though).

Maybe it's just a personal preference but I prefer a variety of colognes to this including: Lutens Santal de Mysore, Vintage Santal Noble, and LV Sandalo. Also, I've never smelled pure mysore oil, so maybe the Nandita in fact smells more realistic and I've just been fooled by all the fragrance companies. Whatever I've been fooled by smells really good then... :drool:

I really do need to get a hold of some truly vintage Mysore sandalwood oil and find out what sandal wood is supposed to smell like because I have no idea.

I'm not much of notes head myself. I find every treatment of sandalwood I smell to be different. The same is true with vetiver. So I have little concept of what the pure note of either would smell like.

I do kind of like the AoS Sandalwood, but I can see where some find it a bit medicinal. That may be true with a lot of the scents that are heavy on sandalwood.

SO, I found a sample of Etro,Lutens,MPG .My first pick would be MPG but apparently no where to be found in the US.I have read here and there that the MPG reformulated the formula of their Santal Noble .Is that true? I heard from a perfumer that that is just not true.

I like it, but it is more ashram than edt.

I, too, did not care for Nandita. For me it was too incense-sweet, and had no wood smell to it. At a Whole Foods, health food store or similar, check out the sandalwood essential oils and try a little on your skin. Make sure it is Santalum album (it's usually cut with jojoba oil), and not the Australian Santalum spicatum.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I'm not much of notes head myself. I find every treatment of sandalwood I smell to be different. The same is true with vetiver. So I have little concept of what the pure note of either would smell like.

I do kind of like the AoS Sandalwood, but I can see where some find it a bit medicinal. That may be true with a lot of the scents that are heavy on sandalwood.

I do have a small sample of the sandalwood eo in a neutral carrier oil, and I think the Mysore sandalwood soap is a very close smell to the real stuff. I also have a sample of Vetiver eo, and must say they best that comes close is the L'Occitane Vetyver. But, this is just my nose's opinion....

I've been going on a tear buying various Sandalwood frags & EOs. :blushing: So far, I can recommend this EO. It's strong, woody & absolutely beautiful.

I also just received a bottle of Amouage's Sandalwood attar which is essentially Sandalwood EO in oil. (There seem to be some other, subtler notes in it as well.) It's a very mellow, close-to-the-skin scent that seems to last a long time. :thumbup1:

SO, I found a sample of Etro,Lutens,MPG .My first pick would be MPG but apparently no where to be found in the US.I have read here and there that the MPG reformulated the formula of their Santal Noble .Is that true? I heard from a perfumer that that is just not true.

Santal Noble has in fact been reformulated (for the worse, IMO). I have a sample vial of the vintage stuff and it is world's apart from the reformulation. If you can get a hold of the vintage stuff I highly recommend it; the sandalwood is given sort of a sweet chocolate-y, almost gourmand feel. Awesome stuff! :thumbup:

So far I have MPG Santal Noble ,TOBS aftershave balm .I am really loving the sandalwood smell so please suggest anything Sandalwood.I would love to find a styling lotion(no gel or anything alike) otherwise anything sandalwood ......

Thank you all for keeping up with this thread.I really appreciate you taking your time

You know, I found this stuff to be a little too light. But that was just on the scent card given to me by the counter lady. Is it a bit more pungent when you wear it?

Well it all depends on your skin chemistry. I would recommend trying it on your skin before you make a decision. I had a sample of it and it was quite good in the longevity and sillage department. Your skin is not paper, hence there will be a different reaction. Of course it won't smell strong on that paper tester; look at it and then look at your skin...see the difference?

I know this topic has been already discussed but I still haven't figure out which Sandalwood to pick? I might have narrowed it down to Serge Lutens,Maitre de Perfumeur et Gantier,Floris,Montale (though this last one seems like a lost cause unless someone knows the secret to finding this) .Then again, I haven't tried any so before making the expenssive leap I would really like to hear from you.

A few days ago I received my first sampler pack, from perfumed court. I'm wearing the Serge Lutens Santal Mysore right now. In this first stage, all I smell is coconut milk. Reminds me of one of my favorite Thai dishes. It's interesting, but I'm glad I didn't plunk down any significant amount of $$ on it. Waiting for some sandal to come through...

You should also try Penhaligon's Douro and Trumper's Astor—both of these have a lovely sandalwood dry-down (especially the Pen's).

You know, I found this stuff to be a little too light. But that was just on the scent card given to me by the counter lady. Is it a bit more pungent when you wear it?

I wouldn't call it pungent. It has a warm, woody smell that lasts quite a while on me. If you want something sharper, try Arden's Sandalwood. It's out of production, but you can easily find it on line. Very inexpensive too. The woodiness is tempered by lavender and other herbal notes. I'd definitely call the opening pungent.

What do y'all think of Saint Charles Shave's sandalwood EDC? Has anybody tried it?

I have -- for me it's a very long-lasting, very outward scent. Heavy on the Vanilla, even in dry down. It's an interesting interpretation of Sandalwood, but I get Vanilla out of it more than anything.

I love SCS, but their Sandalwood splash is really sweet and strikes me more as almond/vanilla with a little "head shop" vibe. Good splash (with a great price tag) but I don't know if I'd call it sandalwood.

SCS and similar vendors do such a great job on so many fronts, but it's still hard to get a masculine woods splash. I keep hoping that someone will realize how many Cade lovers there were and come out with "Sharp Cedar-Pine-Sandalwood-Juniper lumberyard pencil shavings tree explosion."

Might have to tweak the name, though.

Top Bottom