What's new

Safety Razor of the Month: July 2017

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Great shaves, gents! I went with a NEW Bostonian last night. Same setup otherwise. It was a great shave but I accidentally slid sideways on my touch up pass. It was a close call.
proxy.php

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Got my New LC replated recently (along with a a couple of my Techs).....as well as picked up a replated New SC. They are awesome shavers. Been using the LC this month. Now that I know it's the SROTM, I'll pull the SC into my rotation.

IMGP7120.JPG

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Liking my new NEW so much, now there's TWO NEWs:

full

A set I got off the bay - used one time, apparently - from a hotel in 1930s Ohio:

full

May even try one of the blades ...

full

AA

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
A set I got off the bay - used one time, apparently - from a hotel in 1930s Ohio ... May even try one of the blades ...AA

Nice set, Mike. 1000 rooms, looks like a huge place -- classy!
Good luck with the blades, they're usually nicer as a novelty collectible than shaving in my experience. :sad::sad:

dw hotel.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@nemo Doug, thanks! Likely the NEW set was given as a freebie; this one has one blade used one time, it seems.

I was an OLD fan - thought my ABC set, thin cap and thick cap were the best razors on Earth ... Until I realized I'd never tried a NEW. The Piccolo is said to be somewhat like a NEW, I have one of those in regular rotation. Bid on a $10 NEW and it's been a game changer. Comfy and close shaves. Grabbed another, slightly better one a week later. They are still out there ...

AA

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
@nemo Doug, thanks! Likely the NEW set was given as a freebie; this one has one blade used one time, it seems.

As a complimentary hotel razor, the blade bank would surely have contained Gillette blades. Obviously those were used, hence the refilling with a more generic one. Gillette was in the business of selling blades, they would want the user to try some real NEW "blues" out! Get ya hooked.

image.jpeg
I'm back, picked up a NDC Superspeed on Saturday, and had to shave with it.
SROTM July 10th
New LC
Feather
Proraso Red
B&B 10th Anniversary brush
Thayers Cucumber WH
Family Dollar Spice AS

Ad Astra

The Instigator
As a complimentary hotel razor, the blade bank would surely have contained Gillette blades. Obviously those were used, hence the refilling with a more generic one. Gillette was in the business of selling blades, they would want the user to try some real NEW "blues" out! Get ya hooked.

Interesting! I'm sure you're right. Hmmm.

I have some old Gillette blades; some people collect them, I don't. Came with another set.

But the top cap finish on the NEW is mirror-perfect, can't wait to use it.

AA

Got my NEW in the mail today! After reading all the positive things about this razor, I had to get one. I'm excited to try my first open comb!

IMG_4412.JPG
IMG_4413.JPG
IMG_4414.JPG

Great shaves, gents! I went with a NEW Bostonian last night. Same setup otherwise. It was a great shave but I accidentally slid sideways on my touch up pass. It was a close call.
proxy.php

Looks niiice, Adam!:001_wub:

Sorry for the cut... I did the same some weeks ago...on my neck... going ATG.... I couldn't even notice it... but I still have a slight scar....:001_huh:

KeenDogg

Looks niiice, Adam!:001_wub:

Sorry for the cut... I did the same some weeks ago...on my neck... going ATG.... I couldn't even notice it... but I still have a slight scar....:001_huh:
Thanks, JM! The Haslingers was so slick and I was getting a little willy nilly. I lightened up quickly and came away with just a good scratch.

Thanks, JM! The Haslingers was so slick and I was getting a little willy nilly. I lightened up quickly and came away with just a good scratch.

Yeah.

And yes, Hasslinger soaps are da bomb. I'm using Meeresalgen (seaweed)... it perfectly matches with Floid Blue AS! Only downside is they're too small a cake...

KeenDogg

Yeah.

And yes, Hasslinger soaps are da bomb. I'm using Meeresalgen (seaweed)... it perfectly matches with Floid Blue AS! Only downside is they're too small a cake...
Yes, but priced accordingly!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Shaved with this bad boy yesterday. #44 RFB. Didnt have time to snap a full SOTD photo. The titanium handle elevates the shave, and I get instant DFS without even trying. A little effort and its BBS city. Super smooth. I have a two piece #77 RFB on deck for tomorrow. I went on a little RFB bender for a spell, and now i have about a half dozen of them. Definitely my favorite NEW model. Although they are all quite excellent. The regular Flat Bottom British NEW is very close to this one if I put it on a heavy stainless handle. Awesome shavers all the way around.

Razor RFB 44 w RR Titanium.jpg

image.jpeg
STOTM July 11th(All Star Game edition)
Gillette New LC
Dorco Prime
Williams Mugshave
Semogue SOC Boar
Thayers Cucumber WH
Old Spice AS

KeenDogg

Got my NEW in the mail today! After reading all the positive things about this razor, I had to get one. I'm excited to try my first open comb!

View attachment 803343 View attachment 803344 View attachment 803345
Great work. You dun goooood!
Shaved with this bad boy yesterday. #44 RFB. Didnt have time to snap a full SOTD photo. The titanium handle elevates the shave, and I get instant DFS without even trying. A little effort and its BBS city. Super smooth. I have a two piece #77 RFB on deck for tomorrow. I went on a little RFB bender for a spell, and now i have about a half dozen of them. Definitely my favorite NEW model. Although they are all quite excellent. The regular Flat Bottom British NEW is very close to this one if I put it on a heavy stainless handle. Awesome shavers all the way around. Sweet handle!

View attachment 803394

View attachment 803495 STOTM July 11th(All Star Game edition)
Gillette New LC
Dorco Prime
Williams Mugshave
Semogue SOC Boar
Thayers Cucumber WH
Old Spice AS
Great shot, JerryLee! Are you a baseball player?

Great work. You dun goooood!

Great shot, JerryLee! Are you a baseball player?
I played little league, and in high school. Was not very good at it, but I love the game. Grew up watching the Big Red Machine. My best memories of my brother are of going to watch the Reds play.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
1st shave with the new NEW. MdC Fougere.

Feathers are made for this mild-yet-close shaver ... I have a couple dozen razors at this point; NEW is the hands-down winner. You just can't nick or rash with this, and the shaves are very very smooth.

AA

Top Bottom