SROTM July 15th
New LC
Dorco Prime
Proraso Red
B&B 10th Anniversary Boar
Thayers Original WH
English Leather

I don't have one. :a36:
I didn't have one either... till today! A long distance PIF from @Komboloi. :biggrin1:

Today's shave with my new NEW LC:
upload_2017-7-18_1-37-19.png

Razor: Gillette NEW Long Comb
Blade: Silver Star (10)
Brush: Omega 40033
Soap: Proraso Red tub

And a 20mm wide shim to stiffen the blade up. An excellent shave. :thumbup:

I didn't try it without the shim. Going by the difference a shim made to my R41 I didn't even consider using it without.

The R41 doesn't curve the blade very much (bad design) so the blade isn't under much tension, and the blade edge sticks out more than down towards the comb. Begging for chatter and rough shaves. The New is much better on these points, and deserves a chance to prove itself. I wouldn't use a razor that required a shim.

I didn't try it without the shim. Going by the difference a shim made to my R41 I didn't even consider using it without.

Definitely at least give it a try without the shim. Put a Feather in there, and see what happens. You might like it!

Used the NEW Deluxe tonight. Nacet blade, Sudsy Soapery Sage and Lime, and a 21mm Shavemac Finest. All good stuff, and a great result.

The R41 doesn't curve the blade very much (bad design) so the blade isn't under much tension, and the blade edge sticks out more than down towards the comb. Begging for chatter and rough shaves. The New is much better on these points, and deserves a chance to prove itself. I wouldn't use a razor that required a shim.
Agreed the R41 has a little less curvature, and a much poorer design.

Here's pics of both with the same blade and shim in for comparison:
upload_2017-7-18_15-27-47.png
upload_2017-7-18_15-28-34.png

Definitely at least give it a try without the shim. Put a Feather in there, and see what happens. You might like it!
Kai may be a better choice, it's a stiffer blade.
I'll do a week with it shimmed, then try it without and report back.

My views on using shimmed razors are much the same as yours Toby. It was only after reading some of @rabidus' posts that I tried one in my R41 and the difference was like night and day.

Since January 1st, I've been on a "one blade at a time" regimen (doing my best to keep things simple [here at B&B:001_rolle]). So I'll be sticking to my current lovely Silver Star (unless I decide to change it of course). In my current experience Silver Stars are just as sharp as Feathers, and a lot smoother on the first shave or two.

I just recently ditched a Kai (after 35 shaves). It had plenty more life in it. But, although perfectly good, it was the most boring blade I've ever used. There was absolutely no blade feel at all, perfect for the comfortably numb shaver, but that ain't me.

Well, as ever, that's probably TMI. But there you have it. :laugh:

Agreed the R41 has a little less curvature, and a much poorer design.

Here's pics of both with the same blade and shim in for comparison:
View attachment 805085View attachment 805086

I'll do a week with it shimmed, then try it without and report back.

My views on using shimmed razors are much the same as yours Toby. It was only after reading some of @rabidus' posts that I tried one in my R41 and the difference was like night and day.

Since January 1st, I've been on a "one blade at a time" regimen (doing my best to keep things simple [here at B&B:001_rolle]). So I'll be sticking to my current lovely Silver Star (unless I decide to change it of course). In my current experience Silver Stars are just as sharp as Feathers, and a lot smoother on the first shave or two.

I just recently ditched a Kai (after 35 shaves). It had plenty more life in it. But, although perfectly good, it was the most boring blade I've ever used. There was absolutely no blade feel at all, perfect for the comfortably numb shaver, but that ain't me.

Well, as ever, that's probably TMI. But there you have it. :laugh:

Not TMI, just right! :thumbsup:

That end view of those razors it deceiving, it offers the illusion of blade support in the 41. Show the baseplates end to end blade side up, please. :001_smile

20170713_145300.jpg
I've been "experimenting" using a vintage razor for my first pass and finishing up with my trusty Rockwell 6S.
Today I started with a NEW Short Comb paired with a heavy handle loaded with a PermaSharp.
After two passes with the NEW I did minor (very minor) cleanup and had a super shave.
Fine little razor!

Top Bottom