What's new

Safety Razor of the Month: July 2017

Jul 31: Repaired RFB on Italian Menthol Monday

Lather: Proraso Green
Brush: Semogue 620 (21/50mm)
Razor: Gillette NEW RFB "2-piece" (Importee d'Angleterre)
Blade: Wizamet SI Extra Stainless [48]
Splash: The Holy Black Menthol-X (Batch T)

The NEW RFB is still my favorite of the NEWs or Goodwills if I don't count the De Luxe, which is a completely different razor than all the rest.

Today's shave was with the two-piece NEW RFB that I bought a year ago for about $8 on eBay. The razor had horribly bent teeth, both downwards and inwards, and actually went unsold the first time, and I was the only bidder when the Seller relisted.
proxy.php

After a few cycles of annealing, cooling and bending, I got to a point I was happy with. A light shine with some Nevr-Dull and here it is.

The teeth are not perfect because I didn't want to risk breakage, but they're more than straight enough. The important thing is I got the up/down bends fixed and the baseplate flat.
proxy.php
Looks great, Awesome save on that one! :clap:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Adam, this turned out to be a providential call for me. IView attachment 808640 've been on the sidelines watching, went camping with the family, and my mom brought me the following. A friend of hers knows I like razors and found it laying around. He didn't know if it was complete or not. Cleaned it up. It shaved great!

That is a great friend, take them out for dinner! That is a very nice, silver plated, New Improved! Oh, and if you hang around long enough, you'll learn alot!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Hey guys,
I just wanted to say thank you for making this thread a success. I have enjoyed reading and sharing with all of you. Until next time.....

Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That is a great friend, take them out for dinner! That is a very nice, silver plated, New Improved! Oh, and if you hang around long enough, you'll learn alot!
Thanks. The more I learn the more doors open up and I glimpse a bit more of how little I know. This site has been immensely helpful and enjoyable for me.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Since I was camping for the last two weeks, and therefore only had one NEW during that time, I figured I would finish up the month a day late, and break out my NEW SC. There has been a lot of talk on this thread about the virtues of the SC. However, I am not a huge fan. I much prefer the RFB, Flat Bottom, and even the LC over the SC. And today was no exception. I think the SC is very efficient. But it comes at the expense of smoothness. I find the SC shave a little irritating. I get weepers. But it does mow down the whiskers. A decent shave though. A nice was to end NEW month.

Great thread @KeenDogg! Any razor for August? Or are we taking another month off? Stay smooth my friends...

SOTD 01aug2017.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You trip over combinations that really work well; can affirm the NEW SC and the SuperMax Titanium blade are a phenomenal team.

Perfect damage-free ATG; that's really saying something. Had gotten simply "good/very good" shaves out of SC with the Personna red.

The razor/blade combo is everything, and when you have 30 razors and 30 blade makes, it's like playing "Battleship" on a very very large board ...

Had a member PM me once looking for the vendor for SuperMax Titanium blade. Heard they stopped making them for some "better" product but I'm guessing it was cost/to save money on the process, for they are an amazing blade.

AA

You trip over combinations that really work well; can affirm the NEW SC and the SuperMax Titanium blade are a phenomenal team.

Perfect damage-free ATG; that's really saying something. Had gotten simply "good/very good" shaves out of SC with the Personna red.

The razor/blade combo is everything, and when you have 30 razors and 30 blade makes, it's like playing "Battleship" on a very very large board ...

Had a member PM me once looking for the vendor for SuperMax Titanium blade. Heard they stopped making them for some "better" product but I'm guessing it was cost/to save money on the process, for they are an amazing blade.

AA

Super-Max Super Blue Diamond TITANIUM

Top Bottom