What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Handle is a Star. Nice score

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Cool, I gave the 4 piece a try today and it works pretty good. Easily as close as the Edwin Jagger I normally use if not a bit closer. A little bit of razor burn but I think it will just take some getting used to holding it lightly. Also like how the base is designed, as it makes it pretty easy to hold it at the correct angle.

Also cool info about the gold handle. I checked and it fits on my EJ so it will be nice to have if I ever want to make it a bit more fancy.

The triangle slots on the baseplate make that one pre war
So I picked up this razor on Kijiji yesterday for $15 As a back up/ travel razor. Reading some other threads tells me it is a post WWII Gillette Tech made in Canada 4 piece. Anyone know anything more about these? It is in pretty good shape other than some of the playing coming off at the top. It also came with a spare gold handle. Looking forward to trying it.
View attachment 1304682View attachment 1304683View attachment 1304684

I received this Gentleman Otto in the mail yesterday from ebay. The auction only had three pictures of it, and all three were with it in the case, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the case. The leather is more supple that I would have expected. The only problem that I can see with it is on the inside. It appears as if the inside was lined with some type of fabric which has deteriorated and the teeth of the razor head keep getting caught on it when it is removed.
20210801_182923.jpg

20210801_183704.jpg

Other than the plating, the razor appears to be in excellent condition. None of the teeth are bent or broken. I am not sure if it is nickel or silver plated, but to me it looks more like a couple of the silver plated Gilletes that I have from the same era. It also had an old Gillette blade loaded, which is a first for me.
20210801_183206.jpg

20210801_183452.jpg

20210801_183522.jpg

20210801_183616.jpg

I haven't been able to find much info on the razor. Does anyone know when this might have been made? If I am interpreting the date code on the blade correctly, it was made in 1921. So I would assume that the razor is at least that old.

They’re very popular for good reason. There was tons of them made and they work very well for many, many people. I prefer mine with a heavier aftermarket handle from a modern manufacturer like RazoRock, but many people love them as is. Cheers
Yea I figured that out after some further reading, but at that point it was too late to edit my post. Seems crazy how well this thing still works considering it is at least 76 years old.

I received this Gentleman Otto in the mail yesterday from ebay. The auction only had three pictures of it, and all three were with it in the case, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the case. The leather is more supple that I would have expected. The only problem that I can see with it is on the inside. It appears as if the inside was lined with some type of fabric which has deteriorated and the teeth of the razor head keep getting caught on it when it is removed.
View attachment 1305273
View attachment 1305274
Other than the plating, the razor appears to be in excellent condition. None of the teeth are bent or broken. I am not sure if it is nickel or silver plated, but to me it looks more like a couple of the silver plated Gilletes that I have from the same era. It also had an old Gillette blade loaded, which is a first for me.
View attachment 1305280
View attachment 1305281
View attachment 1305285
View attachment 1305282
I haven't been able to find much info on the razor. Does anyone know when this might have been made? If I am interpreting the date code on the blade correctly, it was made in 1921. So I would assume that the razor is at least that old.

Good luck finding any information. There were a lot of Old Type clones made in Germany in the 20's and '30's, I have 3 travel sets myself. Yours looks a lot like the 4 piece Gillette travel set, even the case is similar. Clean it up and use it, they usually shave surprisingly well. Be careful with the silver plating, most of them weren't as good as the Gillettes were.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
B Altman razor, manufactured by Conrad. Two piece, Old Type style head. Case is identical to some seen with the Barbasols. Blades are thin so late 30s.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I saw that one come up a few times, and I was bound and determined to pick it up this time; but you beat me to it. Honestly, I'm glad to see it go to a "good den". As a fan of all things "old New York", it definitely "speaks to me". Enjoy!

I saw that one come up a few times, and I was bound and determined to pick it up this time; but you beat me to it. Honestly, I'm glad to see it go to a "good den". As a fan of all things "old New York", it definitely "speaks to me". Enjoy!
I wasn't familiar with the company but a cool history apparently.

Side by side with BFH and OT for scale.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom