What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I picked up a 1969 Gillette Super 84 last week, gave it a good cleaning, and decided to give it a go this week. Big mistake. I thought I was getting a cleaner-upper but boy was I wrong.

View attachment 1014301
This isn't a great picture (it's from the auction) but I should have seen that there's uneven exposure going left to right before I bought it. It looks even worse in person and is present on both sides of the head. Unfortunately, I didn't notice it during the multi-day cleaning process. Nor did I notice it when I loaded the blade. I didn't even notice it after I finished my first pass.

It was really aggressive, regardless of setting, and I knew something was wrong right away. But, as I said, I finished a pass and then switched over to my RazorRock SLOC to finish the shave. By the time I switched the blade to the RR, blood was weeping from every area of my face; a few on both cheeks, my upper lip, my chin, my neck, I looked like a victim in some deranged horror movie.

I put the razor away in frustration and didn't bother to look at it again for a couple of days. I was considering giving it a second chance this weekend but decided to first inspect it closer. That's when I finally saw it. I got it cheap so I'm not overly concerned but now I got an itch to replace it. So I'm on the lookout for another Super 84 or maybe something new like a Game Changer .68.
A sadly familiar story. Same happened to me with a super 84. Eventually got a super 109 birth year which is excellent so don’t give up. Better luck next time

Mail call!

proxy.php

1915 Gillette Single Ring sporting nice patina and straight teeth.

proxy.php

Myatt Daymark cased.

proxy.php

proxy.php
I'm diggin' that Single Ring! Nothing better than that black patina on a hundred year old silver plated razor!! Congrats on a terrific haul!

Try leaving it out in the open in the bathroom. The, um, (ahem) release of sulfur dioxide in the small confined space should speed up the silver tarnishing process. It may only take 10 or 20 years instead of 100!

You're welcome! Glad I could help!

Boil an egg. Trow away the eggwhite. Put the razor and the jellow part of the egg in a zip bag. Make sure the razor doesn't touches the egg to avoid uneven discoloration. Close the bag and wait. You should see the first effects after one our.

But look what I have done recently.
As I bought it:
After cleaning:

If the patina forms during my ownership I could live with that. All the razors I bought I've cleaned to a shine.

Last edited:
Boil an egg. Trow away the eggwhite. Put the razor and the jellow part of the egg in a zip bag. Make sure the razor doesn't touches the egg to avoid uneven discoloration. Close the bag and wait. You should see the first effects after one our.

As I bought it:
After cleaning:

If the patina forms during my ownership I could live with that. All the razors I bought I've cleaned to a shine.

...and gorgeous they are, Erik - well done!!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

As I bought it:
After cleaning:

Very nice, congratulations.

I can describe it as "Chaotic" rather.
You must be the one with the RAD, eh!

Chaotic is a good word. The Star, Ever Ready, unknown bakelite, both Tuckaway cases and single handle, the Rolls, and the NEW Standard were a single lot. The Milord, NEW Deluxe, restored Rubberset 400, and Bell Tube were separate purchases. The brush was by far the most expensive.

The RAD flows through me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom