What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I first want to say thank you to Dan (@Hannahsdad) for the Muhle r41 that he PIF for me!!
Just opened the package today and it is a very good looking razor. It has a Weber Bulldog handle. I think the handle will be a little short for me but the GC .84 handle fits fine. I am very excited to try this out as I have never used a razor that is this aggressive.
Thanks again Dan.View attachment 1013459 View attachment 1013460

The R41 is my Favorite Razor.
Just remember if You Respect it it will Respect you.
Enjoy take your time to get use to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest acquisition
ec43f992-526f-4f11-aff9-05a497e08000-jpeg.1012677

Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding!!!
We have a winner here!
Congrats, I see many enjoyable shaves in your future.:arabia:

Fresh from the mailbox:
Weaponry Claymore Open Comb
and a cheap Badger Brush

Chrome head and said to be a stainless steel handle ... I bought it mainly for the handle.
Weaponry Claymore.jpg
Smooth shave is equivalent to my Favorite Old Type
Weaponry Claymore 2.jpg

20190903_193906.jpg

1957 C1 Super Speed. It was described as "appears unused" and, while it has been used, this razor is pristine! I had been keeping an eye out for a razor from 57 since that's the year my dad was born.

Found this last weekend at a rural fair/vintage flee market. 1920’s Canadian made Old Type.

One hairline crack on the handle. Paid a total of C$10 (US$8) for it plus 3 made in England Wilkinson Sword blades.
75FDF026-9069-466E-B542-37B57D2EC0A1.jpeg C2E24D43-02EC-4373-9DB2-8AE4EDD12BA1.jpeg 0B8266A3-4675-4597-A621-8CA7C4929BEE.jpeg 21A458D1-6A63-47A3-A4AE-4953B30B6D78.jpeg B5C6539D-10C5-4D17-A793-1051F16ADAD6.jpeg

Nice, how's the innards!

They are pretty decent! I posted some pics in the unboxing thread. =D

Found this last weekend at a rural fair/vintage flee market. 1920’s Canadian made Old Type.

One hairline crack on the handle. Paid a total of C$10 (US$8) for it plus 3 made in England Wilkinson Sword blades.
View attachment 1013755 View attachment 1013756 View attachment 1013757 View attachment 1013758 View attachment 1013759

Very nice! Congrats, and enjoy it!

I picked up a 1969 Gillette Super 84 last week, gave it a good cleaning, and decided to give it a go this week. Big mistake. I thought I was getting a cleaner-upper but boy was I wrong.

S84.JPG

This isn't a great picture (it's from the auction) but I should have seen that there's uneven exposure going left to right before I bought it. It looks even worse in person and is present on both sides of the head. Unfortunately, I didn't notice it during the multi-day cleaning process. Nor did I notice it when I loaded the blade. I didn't even notice it after I finished my first pass.

It was really aggressive, regardless of setting, and I knew something was wrong right away. But, as I said, I finished a pass and then switched over to my RazorRock SLOC to finish the shave. By the time I switched the blade to the RR, blood was weeping from every area of my face; a few on both cheeks, my upper lip, my chin, my neck, I looked like a victim in some deranged horror movie.

I put the razor away in frustration and didn't bother to look at it again for a couple of days. I was considering giving it a second chance this weekend but decided to first inspect it closer. That's when I finally saw it. I got it cheap so I'm not overly concerned but now I got an itch to replace it. So I'm on the lookout for another Super 84 or maybe something new like a Game Changer .68.

I picked up a 1969 Gillette Super 84 last week, gave it a good cleaning, and decided to give it a go this week. Big mistake. I thought I was getting a cleaner-upper but boy was I wrong.

View attachment 1014301
This isn't a great picture (it's from the auction) but I should have seen that there's uneven exposure going left to right before I bought it. It looks even worse in person and is present on both sides of the head. Unfortunately, I didn't notice it during the multi-day cleaning process. Nor did I notice it when I loaded the blade. I didn't even notice it after I finished my first pass.

It was really aggressive, regardless of setting, and I knew something was wrong right away. But, as I said, I finished a pass and then switched over to my RazorRock SLOC to finish the shave. By the time I switched the blade to the RR, blood was weeping from every area of my face; a few on both cheeks, my upper lip, my chin, my neck, I looked like a victim in some deranged horror movie.

I put the razor away in frustration and didn't bother to look at it again for a couple of days. I was considering giving it a second chance this weekend but decided to first inspect it closer. That's when I finally saw it. I got it cheap so I'm not overly concerned but now I got an itch to replace it. So I'm on the lookout for another Super 84 or maybe something new like a Game Changer .68.
very sad story, they are really good razors when in decent shape.

It was really aggressive, regardless of setting, and I knew something was wrong right away. But, as I said, I finished a pass and then switched over to my RazorRock SLOC to finish the shave. By the time I switched the blade to the RR, blood was weeping from every area of my face; a few on both cheeks, my upper lip, my chin, my neck, I looked like a victim in some deranged horror movie

Sucks when a new toy is messed up. Sorry

Top Bottom