What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
There is a “Bird” back in the den!

I am probably not the only member that has sold a razor and later wondered why did I sell that razor. Too often for me, it comes down to which razor or razors need to go to thin the den. About 6 months ago I sold my machined SB Blackbird along with several other modern DE razors. Although the “Bird” provided a great shave however I wanted more comfort, so I sold it with the others.

Shipping those razors felt great because I had “thinned the den”. However, when the “Bird” was gone, I began to miss the closeness of the shave. I still have several nice vintage razors that are very smooth shavers and provide a reasonably close shave. However, none of my razors modern or vintage have ever provided the closeness that the “Bird” provides.

Today I received an open comb machined Blackbird from BST. I immediately sanitized it and got it shave ready.

Wow, the “Bird” is back and I will not need to shave tomorrow. I was concerned that OC would be more aggressive than the SB However as strange as this sounds I found the OC smoother than the SB while shaving just as close.

The Blackbird is a great razor that will stay in the den no matter how many others come and go. I think that the machined version of the Blackland complements their design.

View attachment 1154054 products
Congrats, Mike. I did the exact same thing — sold my BB and regretted it. I, too, am glad to have mine back.

Just found a Gillette Red Tip in very good condition at a garage sale. The old guy and his daughters were down sizing his stuff, so I asked about any razors and he said he got rid of them years ago, but the one daughter said she saw something and took me to it. Turns out it was a B-1 red tip and there was a SE gem they had. I ask ed what they wanted for them she said to ask her father, he said ask her, I offered a buck a piece, SOLD, here they are after I cleaned them up. Not much to clean, they were in nice shape.

Attachments

• GS_TracySchool.jpg
    GS_TracySchool.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
That Tech... Is it “replated”? So nice.

I'm not 100% on what's going on with this one. There were black cap + nickel pre-war baseplates, but they didn't come with this handle. There were gold + black fat handles, but they didn't come with a black cap.

I'm thinking someone painted the handle. They did a pretty darn good job, if that's the case.

Reactions: NPK
Just some quick hit items in Fredericksburg VA yesterday -- saw quite a few user grade Super Speeds, a SC New and injectors, but I'm trying to focus on cherry-picking the nicer items that I don't have, when I came across the GEM G-Bar (in near unused condition) the Hull Pottery Old Spice mug (great color and transfer clarity) and NOS Wilkies for $2. Not shown is a "6 Blue Blade dispenser" to complete the Fatboy Razor, case and now blade pack that will get handed down to my Grandson. I picked up the blade case for $4.00 "just in case" about an hour after putting in an EBay bid for a similar blade pack--I won the auction and paid, but got notified today that the seller "couldn't find the blade case" so he was refunding my money; saving me $15.00.
30F7B9A8-8176-441C-ABBB-BFB74284095F.jpeg

Top Bottom