What's new

S.K. Colling Straight Razor (AKA Prosperine Razor Co.) Review

Quite frankly, unless a razor is sent to a master razor honer, it is not going to be 'shave ready' in our definition of the term. My Thiers Issard also needed to be honed, even though they claim it was shave ready.

Quite frankly, unless a razor is sent to a master razor honer, it is not going to be 'shave ready' in our definition of the term. My Thiers Issard also needed to be honed, even though they claim it was shave ready.
Recommendations for master razor honers?

But why is that? Is it really that difficult to run a razor through a synthetic progression and end let's say on a 20k Gok?
I never understood why a razor maker can't put a decent edge on his product.

Legion

Staff member
But why is that? Is it really that difficult to run a razor through a synthetic progression and end let's say on a 20k Gok?
I never understood why a razor maker can't put a decent edge on his product.
Because they are painting by numbers. It's not like they can shave test every razor coming off the assembly line. Generally they are going to use the quickest method possible to get a somewhat passble edge.

FWIW, the bevel was not properly set on my SKC, and I suspect it had been honed on a belt.

Because they are painting by numbers. It's not like they can shave test every razor coming off the assembly line. Generally they are going to use the quickest method possible to get a somewhat passble edge.

FWIW, the bevel was not properly set on my SKC, and I suspect it had been honed on a belt.
I don't expect them to shave test the the razor but there is no reason for a small razor maker to not have figured out a way to set a bevel and hone a razor quickly. They could use a scope.
It's like a bike maker would be selling bicycles without installing functional breaks and expecting the buyer to do it.
Honing time should be part of how long it takes them to make a razor.

I understand we don't live in an ideal world but telling the buyer that he has to know how to hone or ship it to a pro and spend more money. The whole concept seems crazy if you think about it.

I don't think that it is common for his bevels not to be set. He does a lot of business and is greatly respected. That would not be so if he turned out shoddy work.

Incoming. Steve made exactly what I wanted. Size is 7/8
IMG_9420.jpeg
IMG_9415.jpeg
IMG_9416.jpeg
IMG_9419.jpeg

If you can't find a person local or closer to hone your razor I'd gladly do it for you. Pay shipping both ways
Appreciate the offer. I haven’t gotten into straight razors yet, just shavettes. Last time I picked up my feather AC I was shaking but still got through the shave. My random shavette is just a few times a year so if I do get into the straights, it might be better for me to send them it off vs investing in all the gear. But I absolutely do need a strop, correct? Has anyone tried those sharpening system the rods and stones like wicked edge or worksharp for their razors? I use the work sharp rod system for my knives.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Appreciate the offer. I haven’t gotten into straight razors yet, just shavettes. Last time I picked up my feather AC I was shaking but still got through the shave. My random shavette is just a few times a year so if I do get into the straights, it might be better for me to send them it off vs investing in all the gear. But I absolutely do need a strop, correct? Has anyone tried those sharpening system the rods and stones like wicked edge or worksharp for their razors? I use the work sharp rod system for my knives.
Yes, investing in all the SR maintenance gear is not cheap. You won't get much change back from US$60 including shipping.

Anyway, best you cover that in another thread.

Legion

Staff member
Those sharpening rod systems are in no way appropriate for razors.

On good advice I didn't get a shavette. Apparently, shavettes are not as forgiving as a straight razor, at least so I was told many times. I got a regular straight razor, instead. I bought one from a master razor honer that had restored the razor slightly. It was a very good razor. It was also truly shave ready. I never looked back. Now I have four and use one everyday. My point being that you would like using a regular straight razor that is properly sharpened and you needn't spend money for all of the gear. All you need is a strop (Security Measure - https://www.ebay.com/str/dukecityvintageshaving?_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l161211 He also has razors), a good shave ready razor (go vintage and get good steel), and some unscented mineral oil or vaseline. You can get someone to sharpen it for you when needed (after 80+ shaves). It isn't expensive.

When you want to learn to hone your own, just buy lapping film. It is less than a dollar a sheet. Don't use rods or other sharpeners meant for knives.

Top Bottom