What's new

S.K. Colling Straight Razor (AKA Prosperine Razor Co.) Review

I have found it is possible to increase the size of the attached picture, so here it is:
IMG_2023-04-08_14-19-09.jpeg

I have found it is possible to increase the size of the attached picture, so here it is:
View attachment 1635365
Next time, take a good picture. Then go to postimage.org and upload it. Select hotlink for forums and paste it in your post or thread.

I like that carbon fiber with the red lining. I was sorely tempted to get that, but decided to go with paua shell. Good choice on your part. He makes a fine razor.

Next time, take a good picture. Then go to postimage.org and upload it. Select hotlink for forums and paste it in your post or thread.

I like that carbon fiber with the red lining. I was sorely tempted to get that, but decided to go with paua shell. Good choice on your part. He makes a fine razor.
The problem with my picture is that I am an old fart. I only have a flip phone and its camera is marginal.

I do appreciate your response because it was your initiating post of this thread which lead to my purchase. I have noted your numerous, insightful posts on Badger&Blade, so your glowing review of Steve Colling's work persuaded me to contact Steve.
I too found Steve very easy to do business with. He quickly responded to each of my numerous emails. He was upbeat and eager to get to work on the razor I wanted. This purchase turned out very well. I have used it for 10 days and I am very pleased with the razor. I must thank you for being the instigator behind this purchase.

Very nice. When I got mine, it would shave ok, but I wanted it sharper so I had it resharpened. It is a fantastic razor.

That one of yours looks pretty amazing. Is that a half hollow grind?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Very nice. When I got mine, it would shave ok, but I wanted it sharper so I had it resharpened. It is a fantastic razor.

The edge on my custom S.K. Colling was about the same. As received, it shaved well but I prefer a crisper edge. A few laps on 1μm lapping film and a full diamond pasted balsa strop progression has everything in order on my next shave.

IMG_20220713_103227.jpg

It’s some where about there. I bought off eBay and it was listed as hollow ground but it seem a bit stiffer than that.

Mine arrived yesterday.

Some observations. I suspect he is overwhelmed with demand at the moment, especially given the exchange rate. Communication was vague and frustrating: mutliple assurances that it would be complete "this weekend"—when really I would have been happy if he had just said, "it's four weeks away, minimum."

It also was not anywhere near shave ready, by my standards. I shaved with it, but it wasn't comfortable. Again, I attribute this to pressure to just get it out the door.

IMO, he makes great razors. He needs to raise his price, and institute a realistic wait list, like Ulrik.

I'll post more once I have sharpened it and shaved again.

Mine arrived yesterday.

Some observations. I suspect he is overwhelmed with demand at the moment, especially given the exchange rate. Communication was vague and frustrating: mutliple assurances that it would be complete "this weekend"—when really I would have been happy if he had just said, "it's four weeks away, minimum."

It also was not anywhere near shave ready, by my standards. I shaved with it, but it wasn't comfortable. Again, I attribute this to pressure to just get it out the door.

IMO, he makes great razors. He needs to raise his price, and institute a realistic wait list, like Ulrik.

I'll post more once I have sharpened it and shaved again.
Yeah, mine wasn't shave ready enough for me, either. Since it has been sharpened, however, it has become my favorite razor. He does great work.

That is a good looking razor that you have, to be sure.

Top Bottom