What's new

S.K. Colling Straight Razor (AKA Prosperine Razor Co.) Review

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Wid you may find that your 7/8 will be a bit bigger. Steve seems to measure his blades the German way, from edge to thickest part of the spine (not to the top of the spine). My 6/8 (ordered) came in just a tad under 7/8, measured the English way to the top of the spine.

@Wid you may find that your 7/8 will be a bit bigger. Steve seems to measure his blades the German way, from edge to thickest part of the spine (not to the top of the spine). My 6/8 (ordered) came in just a tad under 7/8.

I originally asked about an 8\8 and he had said as such. Told me the 7/8 is really closer to an 8/8 without the added cost. That's why I went with this size

For those that bought wooden scales, were they bulky?

I bought a 6/8 with Bubinga scales. I’m worried if it’ll be bulky for me (it’s in transit).

Got my two razors in today. Both are quite nice but the paua scales are knock out beautiful. Haven’t checked the edges yet so we shall see.

IMG_9613.jpeg
IMG_9615.jpeg
IMG_9616.jpeg
IMG_9614.jpeg
IMG_9620.jpeg
IMG_9617.jpeg
IMG_9619.jpeg
IMG_9618.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... Haven’t checked the edges yet so we shall see.
The as-recieved edge(s) may or may not be to your liking. It depends on your personal edge preference. If not to your liking, it should take very little work to refinish the edge(s) to your requirements.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
They will be seeing the stone’s tomorrow. I never keep an original edge. Not sure which stones yet.
I'm the same as you on this, although I do shave with some SRs "as received" just to see what their previous honing was like.

It's always interesting to experience the edge from another honer.

Got my two razors in today. Both are quite nice but the paua scales are knock out beautiful. Haven’t checked the edges yet so we shall see.

View attachment 1674175View attachment 1674176View attachment 1674177View attachment 1674178View attachment 1674179View attachment 1674180View attachment 1674181View attachment 1674182
Wow! Just beautiful!

You will likely need to have them re-honed, either by yourself or by a professional razor honer. They will shave, but mine wasn't sharp enough for my beard.

Reactions: GNR
Wow! Just beautiful!

You will likely need to have them re-honed, either by yourself or by a professional razor honer. They will shave, but mine wasn't sharp enough for my beard.

I will hone them myself. Just picking the stones is the difficult part.

I am due to get my delivery today. I'm a beginner honer, should I try this myself or send it away?

The stones I (will) have are
a) Shapton 1500,
b) Naniwa Fuji 8K (to be delivered),
c) Dan's Surgical Black

Just got delivery of my razor from Steve Colling. My fears about the bulkiness of the wooden (Bubinga) scales were unfounded. If anything, this is a new blade width for me - that may take some getting used to. Here's a pic. I'll do a shave test tomorrow and figure out if I need this sent out for honing.

IMG_2926.jpg

Top Bottom