What's new

Rudy Vey Custom Shaving Brushes and Restorations

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Here are a few pictures of the tubes I use for protecting my brushes during shipping. The tubes can be used also as a travel tube for larger brushes. If you have to store some brushes, which need to be totally dry before putting them in the tube, these tubes come in very handy. The knot is protected from getting dusty, and also keeps bugs away.

Price would be about $1 (could be a bit less, depending on the amount I order) - this is my cost, so I make nothing on these - a service for my fellow B&B friends. Shipping is extra and depending on the number of tubes ordered.

Attachments

• $IMG_3524.jpg
    $IMG_3524.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,731
  • $IMG_3521.jpg
    $IMG_3521.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,759
  • $IMG_3523.jpg
    $IMG_3523.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,752

Rudy Vey

Here are a few pictures of the tubes I use for protecting my brushes during shipping. The tubes can be used also as a travel tube for larger brushes. If you have to store some brushes, which need to be totally dry before putting them in the tube, these tubes come in very handy. The knot is protected from getting dusty, and also keeps bugs away.

Price would be about $1 (could be a bit less, depending on the amount I order) - this is my cost, so I make nothing on these - a service for my fellow B&B friends. Shipping is extra and depending on the number of tubes ordered.

So far, I have orders for 75 tubes, I would like to order after I am back from vacation, so it would be great to make this an even 100 so I can order a full case.

Rudy Vey

Thanks for your interest and orders, I think I will have these tubes always available. As soon as I get home I also will figure out a good way of packing and shipping them.

Thanks for your interest and orders, I think I will have these tubes always available. As soon as I get home I also will figure out a good way of packing and shipping them.

Shipping them will be a challenge. I was once sent a Mühle tube in a padded envelope and it arrived crushed. Let us know what you figure out for shipping.

Rudy Vey

Shipping them will be a challenge. I was once sent a Mühle tube in a padded envelope and it arrived crushed. Let us know what you figure out for shipping.

I don't think I will use padded envelopes. My idea is to max out the small boxes I have, I guess I can get as much as 8 or 10 in there. For larger amounts, I would either send in more than one box or utilize the medium and large flat rate boxes - need to see how much can be fitted in either one. After I get back next week, I will post here what fits in what box.

For something like this, I would suggest against a flat rate box. They're so light that you'd probably pay half as much for shipping if you use a regular box. One trick I've found if you have a lot of flat rate boxes around is to cut one side of the box so you can tape it together inside out. That way, the flat rate lettering is on the inside and you can just pay the regular shipping.

I found out this trick after wasting a considerable amount of money on a very large sale on the B/S/T.

Gents,

I have been absent a while with a newborn daughter and a move, and the brushes I'm posting about have been in use for months now. Nonetheless, I thought I'd poke my head in here just to show them off, finally. I had been using a Savile Row 3122 exclusively for a while, but these two supplanted it.

I'm really always happy with the handles Rudy makes, but in particular on these two I was a bit of a pain with the specificity of what I wanted. I got exactly what I had in mind, and I couldn't be more pleased.

The first is a Sambar stag antler handle, truly beautiful stuff. The knot is a 24/48 Shavemac D01 3-band silvertip.

proxy.php

The second handle is turned from resin-stabilized Mesquite. I have wanted a wood handle that would last forever since I got into wetshaving. Resin-stabilized wood is a completely saturated material and will not absorb water. As such ,it is pretty much impervious to water/lather damage and will last a lifetime. Mesquite is pretty stuff, and Texas has lots of it, so I settled on this over some more exotic and highly figured stuff. The shape is a very curvaceous Persian Jar, exactly as I'd hoped, and the knot is a Shavemac Finest 24/47 (though it measures more like 25-26/47).

proxy.php

These are heirloom pieces IMO. Both are magnificent to hold and handle, the hair in both is outstanding, and Rudy's work is just impeccable. Always. I am very enamored of these beauties, and I use one or the other almost every single day. I dig the Shavemac knots, even though they are both quite different to one another. In fact, the differences between them allows me a bit of variety, even in a two-brush rotation. At any rate, the point here is Rudy's work. He did all of the legwork on procuring the knots, as always, and he answered far too many e-mails from me about the look of the Sambar antler. He is one of the great gentlemen among a pretty good bunch that I have encountered in this hobby, always patient and kind and helpful.

Thank you, Rudy. These brushes have helped make my daily shaves a bastion of sanity, security, aesthetic joy, and peace in the midst of a whirlwind few months.

Gents, buy from this man.

Rudy Vey

For something like this, I would suggest against a flat rate box. They're so light that you'd probably pay half as much for shipping if you use a regular box. One trick I've found if you have a lot of flat rate boxes around is to cut one side of the box so you can tape it together inside out. That way, the flat rate lettering is on the inside and you can just pay the regular shipping.

I found out this trick after wasting a considerable amount of money on a very large sale on the B/S/T.

I will play around with all the possibilities - and try to find the best and cheapest way of shipping. However, smaller numbers can be shipped in a box with first class mail. If the weight goes above 13 oz (in USA) then I need to use priority mail. The standard boxes I have are good, I think, for 8-10 tubes.

Rudy Vey

How big are the tubes or do they come in multiple sizes? Trying to figure out what size brush they would fit.

Only one size: 1.75" diameter and 5.125" long - they are golf ball tubes for three balls. They fit most of the brushes I make, only the real big ones do not fit (I mean those huge Chubbies with 30 mm knots...).

Rudy Vey

Tubes have arrived here at the Vey house, and since I had still this day off, I packed them up and they are ready to go.
Those of you who have ordered some tubes, please check your pm's - I have send a pm to all of you with the payment info.

Rudy Vey

Received some nice pieces of Black Buffalo Horn, Redwood Burl, some fig. Mesquite while I was on vacation. Being away is great, but what is even greater, I can do some material shopping without being rushed....
Here are a few pictures:

Attachments

• $IMG_3606.jpg
    $IMG_3606.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,301
  • $IMG_3607.jpg
    $IMG_3607.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,298

Rudy Vey

Here another arrival of the last week, some natural colored Boxelder Burl blocks that should make some superb brush handles. I show them together here with the slightly color-enhanced "Golden BEB". All these blanks are resin stabilized, the picture of the brush shows how they will look after the handle is turned.

Attachments

• $IMG_3640.jpg
    $IMG_3640.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,204
  • $RV BEB Finest 25-49.jpg
    $RV BEB Finest 25-49.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,204

Rudy Vey

First up are two Keyhole-styled brushes. These were some of the samples I made for the 2012 LE brush, the third variation was chosen. Hole size is 24 mm in diameter. Depth is 15 mm on the left handle and 14 mm on the right handle. Price is $25 each plus shipping the left brush is sold

Then there are two R7 handles, a M7 inspired handle, one in faux ivory (SOLD) and one in faux tortoise shell (SOLD). Hole diameter again is 24 mm and the depth is 20 mm on the ivory brush and 18 mm on the tortoise shell. Price is $30 each plus shipping

First come - first serve as always. Knot holes could be deepened on the keyholes if needed, or the R7's could be drilled a smidgen wider (say open them up to 26 mm hole diameter).

Attachments

• $IMG_3647.jpg
    $IMG_3647.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,169
  • $IMG_3646.jpg
    $IMG_3646.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,160
Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Both R7 are sold, the Keyholes are still available.

Also got some gorgeous Buckeye Burl blocks in the other day. Will post some pictures in the next day or two, sweet looking stuff - normally really hard to find such a great quality.
Here is a picture from a brush I made last Summer from a block I got from the same supplier, I think what I have now is even better.

Attachments

• $IMG_2874.jpg
    $IMG_2874.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,094
  • $IMG_2867.jpg
    $IMG_2867.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,097
  • $IMG_2869.jpg
    $IMG_2869.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,096

Rudy Vey

As promised, here is the picture with the new arrivals: super quality Buckeye Burl! This will make great brush handles, like the one in the picture in the post before (#877). The most right block, "Block 4" is already spoken for, sorry about this.
The wood is resin stabilized.

Attachments

• $IMG_3652.jpg
    $IMG_3652.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,114
Top Bottom