Saturday shave

7302BA70-39A2-4A36-B6AB-FED0BF870017.jpeg

Prep: Neutrogena Razor Defense face scrub
Soap: RazoRock/HTGAM The Beach!
Brush: Omega B&B Essential boar
Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Gillette Rubie, #3 and banked
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Suavecito Bay Rum aftershave

Hadn't gotten around to banking the Rubie after last night's shave as intended, so when I rolled up the Slim for tonight's shave I thought, "What the heck." Two-passes (setting 4 then 1) + touch-ups for DFS with a very small patch of CCS in my usual problem area. Essentially zero feedback and no irritation for a really good shave tonight. The Slim = :001_wub:

The Beach! was another popular scent with the fam tonight. It's not a top-performer for me, but I do enjoy the scent so this one stays in the den for now.

The Slim remains in the top spot and I'll re-roll tomorrow.

If you like that soap, try Frozen Tundra and Iced Pineapple. Frozen Tundra is my favorite Stirling soap.
Thanks for the recommendation @Esox! I have a sample of Iced Pineapple that I’ve been enjoying, but I wasn’t aware of Frozen Tundra. Just checked the Stirling site and that looks like it’d be right up my alley. Will definitely grab a sample in my next order!

And the next razor is...

B5690764-5E8B-43BB-B1BC-7B690049B320.jpeg

The RazoRock Mamba 70 on the titanium halo handle. I've also got an OG Mamba I have yet to try (IIRC, it's a .58 blade gap on that one and it's got the shorter, stainless halo handle) so I may throw that into the mix after a few shaves to see how they compare. Looking forward to these!

Sunday shave

CC1FE052-6B9B-4540-B411-98F647FF4ABD.jpeg

Prep: PAA Ice Cube 2.0
Soap: Declaration Grooming Cuir et Epices
Brush: Omega Mixed Midget
Razor: RazoRock Mamba 70, #1
Blade: Astra SP, #1
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Clubman Pinaud Reserve Whiskey Woods aftershave

First use of the Mamba 70 and it was a comfortable shave. I probably need to lighten my touch because I had a little bit of feedback from the alum. Two passes + neck touch ups for DFS except for a couple of small patches of SAS on my chin and neck.

I do like the Cuir et Epices, but I've already got a couple of other macho manhood-in-a-puck scents I like better (Spitfire and Midnight Stag), so this one is going to the den clearing box.

Monday shave

2FB418CE-434D-4ED6-AB21-5A926428AB77.jpeg

Prep: The Body Shop Sugar Scrub
Soap: Nuavia Blu
Brush: Omega 10290 boar
Razor: RazoRock Mamba 70, #2
Blade: Astra SP, #2

Two passes and touch ups for a majority DFS, minority CCS tonight. Some feedback because I forgot to lighten up on my neck, but not too bad.

Got some irritation from the Blu again, so this one is leaving the den.

Tuesday shave

05964AE2-3C15-4832-912C-7AA3B9EDADD1.jpeg

Prep: Cleansing Story White Clay
Soap: Stirling Island Man (not pictured)
Brush: Shavemac Finest
Razor: RazoRock Mamba 70, #3
Blade: Astra SP, #3
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk aftershave

In an attempt to get DFS all over I went for three passes tonight: WTG, XTG, and XTG from the opposite direction on my face and N-S-XTG on my neck. Still a small patch of CCS on the very lower portion of my neck. More feedback from the alum and some irritation, too, which wasn't a surprise with an extra pass.

I decided to just go through and sniff the Stirling's that are still in the shootout. I know I like the way they shave so it all comes down to scent. Island Man stays in the den along with Weekend in Malibu and Satsuma. Arkadia is out, as is Gin & Tonic on the Rocks (I had high hopes for that one as it's one of my favorite drinks, but it just didn't do it for me).

Also out is the Shavemac. I know I said otherwise the last time I used it, but I'm getting pickier as this goes on and, while I don't mind a little skritch, it's floppier than I prefer. Great little brush, otherwise.

I'm going to switch to the OG Mamba tomorrow to see how that one does.

Last edited:
Wednesday shave

15F15575-F6CD-430F-8FDB-8010AB3C6157.jpeg

Prep: Noxzema
Soap: Proraso Green
Brush: Simpson PJ2 in Super
Razor: RazoRock Mamba OG, #1
Blade: Astra SP, #1
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Ogallala Bay Rum aftershave

First use of the original Mamba and it was a good shave. Two passes plus neck touch ups for DFS all around. Does seem a tad milder than the Mamba 70 and I had less feedback from the alum as a result.

The Proraso is a classic and has a great scent and good performance. It’s staying in the den.

Thursday shave

2734B552-F2B1-4810-840D-1574BAE7D03C.jpeg

Prep: Neutrogena Razor Defense face scrub
Soap: Beaver Woodwright Thomas Tew
Brush: EJ Super Badger
Razor: RazoRock Mamba, #2
Blade: Astra SP, #2

Lightened up and tried a different pattern on my neck (roughly 45 degree strokes from center line to each side then S-N) and ended up with DFS all around.

Friday shave

5956557A-C254-42B0-816F-47745DB972E0.jpeg

Prep: Cleansing Story White Clay foam
Soap: CBL Pineapple Cilantro Banana
Brush: La Maison du Barbier synth
Razor: RazoRock Mamba, #3
Blade: Astra SP, #3
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum aftershave

Back to typical pattern tonight with two passes and touch ups for mostly DFS with a small patch of CCS.

The shaving purge continues: I've decided the EJ Super is too big for my tastes and I had some irritation from the CBL again so they're both headed to the den clearing box.

Saturday shave

77353F29-D190-4813-AEBE-9CA36D5DDD57.jpeg

Cream: ToBS Jermyn Street
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Razor: RazoRock Mamba 70, #4
Blade: Astra SP, #4 and binned

Two passes for DFS on my face and SAS on my neck. Some feedback and irritation on my neck. An okay shave but nothing to write home about.

As a cream, ToBS is excellent and I'll be picking up a tub of grapefruit at some point. However, although I like cologne, I'm finding that my preference for shaving is more natural scents. That could be because I mostly shave at night where such scents seem heavier. So this particular cream is headed for the den clearing box, as is the Stirling Blu. Also headed is my OG shaving brush, the EJ Best Badger which has been a great brush, but I am to the point where I prefer other brushes. I reserve the right to change my mind later, though. :001_smile

Sunday shave

E0A1BE3E-B290-4899-9CED-EAB91F75586A.jpeg

Prep: Curology Cleanser
Soap: NO BarrBarr
Razor: RazoRock Mamba on titanium halo handle, #4
Blade: Astra SP, #4 and binned

Two passes + neck touch ups for DFS on my face and CCS on my neck. Zero feedback and irritation. A very pleasant shave indeed. I swapped in the titanium handle from the Mamba 70, but it didn’t seem to make a noticeable difference.

The NO is headed for the den clearing box. This is the v1 base and I don't get as slick a shave as I do with my other NO soaps. The scent is good, but I'd choose something like NO's Hamami over it any day, so off it goes.

Both your Saturday and Sunday shaves were 4th use or Astra SP & binned?
Sorry for the delayed response—was on the road this week. Yes, both Saturday and Sunday were 4 and binned. I started with a fresh Astra in the Mamba and another fresh Astra in the Mamba 70 and had been alternating shaves with each razor. I binned each blade after four uses.

Last edited:
Monday-Wednesday shaves

5DAB84B4-E3CC-425A-8178-B88EB1DB3700.jpeg

On the road this week. Each night was
no prep, Gillette Sensor, and Barbasol for one pass. Results were a little tugging, DFS on my face, and CCS on my neck. No doubt that DE is more enjoyable, but this combo was quick and easy for a road trip.

Friday shave

DBB287CA-CFED-439E-9D07-3BD2E395C342.jpeg

Prep: PAA Ice Cube 2.0
Soap: NO Firefighter
Brush: Omega B&B boar
Razor: RazoRock Mamba 70 on steel halo handle, #5
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum, #1

Skipped last night's shave in anticipation of a DE shave tonight. Two passes with a new pattern on my neck (essentially an X shape on each side) for DFS everywhere except the usual patch on my lower neck which got to CCS. Minimal feedback and irritation. First use of the 7 O'clock and it was very nice, smooth and sharp. Tried the steel halo on the Mamba 70, but couldn't really tell a difference vs the titanium handle.

The NO is headed for the den clearing box. Excellent performance, but I'm not crazy about the scent.

Saturday shave

6B427F8F-62D5-4724-8773-527BFF9223A7.jpeg

Soap: Williams
Brush: Simpson A1 Astor in Best
Razor: RazoRock Mamba on steel halo handle, #5
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum, #2

A really good shave tonight. Two passes, plus neck touch-ups for an all-around DFS. A bit of feedback from the alum because I was determined to clean up the trouble patch on my lower neck. That I could do so and still have a comfortable shave is testament to some great lather from the Williams, the rigid design of the Mamba, and a sharp blade with the 7 O'clock. Even though it's in the picture (and was intended), I ended up not using the VIBR as I was in a rush after my shower and forgot about it and the hyaluronic acid. No issues and I didn't even realize it until several hours later.

I'm starting to think about things in terms of how often I'd reach for something compared to something else. To wit, the Astor is such a great brush that it's knocking out the Simpson Berkeley 46 which is headed for the den clearing box. The 46 is a great little brush, but I'd pick the Astor over it any day.

Sunday shave

35F1C16C-78A0-4F3D-89B7-D425F757537B.jpeg

Cream: Speick
Razor: RazoRock Mamba 70 on titanium halo handle, #6
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum, #3

Two passes: DFS face, SAS neck + a little feedback and a weeper on my chin from trying a new direction while not paying attention.

I'm going to spend the last three shaves with the OG Mamba as I'm getting better shaves with it compared to the Mamba 70. The Speick is headed for the den clearing box. I originally bought it for travel, but I prefer a shave stick for that. Performance is good, but I wouldn't reach for it over other creams.

Monday shave

54190A32-BE92-48F5-B6ED-7D4BA36AD9D3.jpeg

Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Sanax badger-cased boar
Razor: RazoRock Mamba on stainless halo handle, #6
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum, #4 and binned
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Wholly Kaw Man from Mayfair aftershave-> The Cool Fix -> My Nik Is Sealed-> Nivea Cool Balm

Two passes: CCS face, SAS neck, but a wretched shave overall. Tried a different pattern on my neck and paid for it with significant feedback, major razor burn, and multiple weepers. It wasn't helped by subpar lather. Live and learn. :bayrum2:

Originally rolled up Wholly Kaw Chypre Rose Concerto, but upon smelling it again (it'd been a while) decided it just wasn't for me and moved it to the den clearing box. I had a little irritation from the Fat but that could have been irritation from the first pass because I didn't have it dialed in very well. I may give it one more shot.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Originally rolled up Wholly Kaw Chypre Rose Concerto, but upon smelling it again (it'd been a while) decided it just wasn't for me and moved it to the den clearing box.

You're not alone there. I dont like it either. Mine was almost gone and I mashed into my tub of Wickham English Rose. They both smell about the same.

Tuesday shave

63BF128A-CAE0-410A-8947-DFDFB4096E9B.jpeg

Soap: Saponificio Bignoli Blackberry Musk
Razor: RazoRock Mamba on stainless halo handle, #7
Blade: Treet Dura Sharp, #1

Kept it light tonight, two passes only for CCS face, SAS neck. First use of the Treet Dura Sharp and it was pretty good. Although I didn't find it to be particularly sharp, it was definitely comfortable--I had zero feedback from the alum. All in all, a nice shave and a great way to bounce back from yesterday’s fiasco.

Decided to keep the SB soap. The scent is light, but very pleasant and it's easy to work with and whips into a fine lather. 3017'd the Body Shop Scrub tonight.

Wednesday shave

AAB7A961-E7A0-4F64-876F-66106CA563DB.jpeg

Prep: Noxzema
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: RazoRock Mamba on stainless halo handle, #8
Blade: Treet Dura Sharp, #2 and binned

Two passes plus neck touch-ups required tonight to get to CCS face, SAS neck. Dura Steel performed well enough again: usable but not head of class for me. I could probably get at least one more use out of it, but I'm moving on to a new razor tomorrow and will start with a fresh Astra SP. Only minor feedback from the alum.

Last try for MWF. I like the scent and I can easily whip it into mounds of lather, but I find it very lacking in my favorite attribute, which is slickness. This one is headed for the den clearing box.

Top Bottom