What's new

Rolling the Bones

Total of 14 shaves between the two Mambas: six on the Mamba 70 and eight on the OG Mamba. Really nice razors, both. My clear preference was for the original Mamba with its .53 gap. I found it to be consistently more comfortable and, unexpectedly, more efficient. The 70 usually caused some feedback, but it wasn't too bad and, until I flubbed the shave a few nights ago with a new direction on my neck, I hadn't realized that the oft-appearing red razor burn patch on the right side of my neck had disappeared. Needless, to say, it's back with a vengeance now, but I give high marks to both for getting me to a point where it disappeared. Still, the OG version was my favorite, both more comfortable and more efficient for me. Because of that clear preference, there's no way I'd pick the 70 over it, so the 70 is headed out of the den. I'm not completely positive I'll end up keeping the OG Mamba, but it stays for now. Overall, the original Mamba gets an 8 on comfort and a 4 on efficiency; the Mamba 70 gets a 5 on comfort and a 3 on efficiency.

And here's how things fall out now. I've added the rating numbers where I have them (comfort/efficiency). I'll fill in the missing numbers as those razors roll up in the future.

Tier 1 – keepers
1. Gillette Slim
2. Schick Type L1, 10/5
3. Parker Semi-slant
4. Yaqi Beast
5. Gem Junior, 8/6

Tier 2 – in consideration
6. iKon X3, 8/6
7. RazoRock Mamba, 8/4
8. Parker 24C, 7/6
9. Merkur 34C HD, 8/6
10. Gem MMOC: 5/6

Tier 3 – not for me
11. RazoRock Mamba 70, 5/3
12. Wilkinson Sword TTO
13. Mühle R89 Grande, 3/3

And the next razor is another pair.

F0388C9F-8410-479F-94BA-84BB3DC01D9F.jpeg

Matte stainless Timeless .95 with the plaid handle. Although I rolled the Timeless .95, I also have the .68 baseplate, so, as with the Mamba, I intend to run them head to head. I'll start with four shaves on the .95 and then four on the .68. Very curious about the Timeless head designs.

Thursday shave

DF659251-D4E9-4036-ABB6-112F925ACE23.jpeg

Prep: Neutrogena Razor Defense face scrub
Soap: D. R. Harris Windsor stick
Brush: Omega Mixed Midget
Razor: Timeless .95 matte SS, #1
Blade: Astra SP, #1
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> adidas get ready! aftershave

First use of the Timeless so only two N-S passes with a fresh Astra SP (my standard with new razors). Result: DFS all over but for a small patch of CCS across my Adam's apple. This razor has some serious heft to it so I tried to keep a light touch. Some blade feel, but essentially no feedback from the alum and zero irritation. I'm impressed.

I had decided to put the Windsor in the den clearing box because the scent wasn't for me, but when I rolled the Mixed Midget for the third day in a row I changed my mind. At some point that little Omega and a shave stick will be my travel kit so I thought this would be a good test. It worked great and the Midget and a La Toja stick will be my choice. The Windsor will hopefully find that job in someone else's kit, because it's going to the den clearing box now that I completed today's shave.

Last edited:
Friday shave

E47F46AA-D515-4F94-85EB-CF5FBD241C5E.jpeg

Prep: Cleansing Story White Clay foam
Cream: Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime
Brush: Karve badger
Razor: Timeless .95 matte SS, #2
Blade: Astra SP, #2
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Captain's Choice Lime aftershave

WTG/XTG on my face and N-S passes on my neck with one touch-up for DFS on my face and a mix of CCS and DFS on my neck. One small weeper when I got careless, but it closed right up with the alum. A most pleasant shave.

And with that use of the C&E, the soap shootout is over. I still have too much, but at least it all fits in one area now. All soaps are back in the mix and I'll continue to evaluate as I go.

Saturday shave

41BAB5E4-6F66-48B7-9926-F45CE04C0E4C.jpeg

Cream: Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
Brush: Ever-Ready F-40
Razor: Timeless .95 matte SS, #3
Blade: Astra SP, #3
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Pinaud Clubman Reserve Brandy Spice aftershave

Two passes and one touch-up for DFS. Cognac and Cuban Cigars is a great soap--performs well and smells great. I'll definitely be in for a full set at some point. Meanwhile, the Brandy Spice worked well with it. An excellent shave this evening.

Sunday shave

83F0FF03-60E1-4F1B-BCBA-5E0C90DE6126.jpeg

Prep: Noxzema
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniv.
Brush: La Maison du Barbier synth
Razor: Timeless .95 matte SS, #4
Blade: Astra SP, #4 and binned
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Stirling Executive Man aftershave

Two passes and neck touch-ups for DFS all around. Another great shave with the Timeless!

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
A great performer with plenty of slickness, like all NO, but not my favorite scent. I get mainly the woodsy notes from the scent, not so much the grapefruit, which I was hoping would be more forward.
Thank you for the feedback. I like NO soaps this sounds like one I want to try.

Monday shave

43F48782-3B34-4CBD-ADFD-785638EB1061.jpeg

Soap: Southern Witchcrafts Pomona
Brush: Simpson Astor A1 in Best
Razor: Timeless .68 matte SS, #1
Blade: Astra SP, #1
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Clubman Reserve Brandy Spice aftershave

First time with the .68 baseplate and I expected a milder shave than the .95, but it didn't work out that way. A bit more feedback that I'd had with the .95. I attribute that to first use, not paying attention to a light touch, and to my lather, which I over-hydrated by mistake. But it sure smelled great. :biggrin1:

Tuesday shave

C4F95813-C21C-48D5-A107-56FCDCD1700C.jpeg

Prep: PAA Ice Cube 2.0
Soap: Southern Witchcrafts Pomona
Brush: Certifyd #2 boar
Razor: Timeless .68 matte SS, #2
Blade: Astra SP, #2
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla aftershave

Two passes + touch-ups for DFS all around. Much better shave than last night because I didn't over-water the lather.

The Certifyd is headed out of the den. The handle is comfortable enough, but I find it to be too light and too much loft for my preference.

Wednesday shave

6D584FA4-D10D-4A21-B972-3B25F5FE9798.jpeg

Prep: Curology Cleanser
Soap: Grooming Dept. Tao
Brush: Simpson 57 in best
Razor: Timeless .68 matte SS, #3
Blade: Astra SP, #3
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk aftershave

Two passes + touch-ups for mostly DFS with a couple of small CCS areas. Almost no feedback from the alum. An enjoyable shave, particularly with the scent of the Tao, which is fantastic.

The den thinning continues: I'm moving the 57 to the den clearing box. It's a great brush, but I would choose the Astor over it any day, so no sense holding on to it when someone can hopefully use it.

Thursday shave

145CD1C4-ECF0-4BC7-9668-8B9DECED1236.jpeg

Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniv.
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 in best
Razor: Timeless .68 matte SS, #4 and binned
Blade: Astra SP, #4

Two passes + touch-ups for DFS face and CCS/SAS mix on neck. More feedback from the alum tonight.

The Duke 3 is heading for the den clearing box. Great brush (even though it still sheds), and will be a cheap way for someone to try Simpsons. Once again, I'd reach for others ahead of it, so I'm moving this one along.

Friday shave

65B1B550-C0A2-44A7-A3A0-0E32620EE290.jpeg

Soap: Lea shave stick
Brush: Ever-Ready F40
Razor: Timeless .95 matte SS, #1
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel

Back to the.95 baseplate tonight, and I’ll alternate between the two for the next few shaves. Two passes + neck touch-ups for DFS face and DFS/CCS on neck. Some feedback from the alum tonight because I didn't go light enough. First use of the Supersteel and I found it to be very sharp and smooth. Looking forward to using this one some more. Fantastic lather from the Lea, too.

Saturday shave

1D60AF0B-2864-470D-8B8C-E3FF14B42633.jpeg

Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Simpsons Astor A1 in Best
Razor: Timeless .68 matte SS, #5
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel, #2

Back to the .68 tonight. Two passes for DFS everywhere except my lower neck, which rated SAS. Remembered to keep a light touch tonight so feedback was relatively mild. Supersteel performed well again.

Will pit both baseplates head to head over the next couple of shaves.

Easter shave

55D79E0B-C804-4552-8451-24AC678258BE.jpeg

Prep: Neutrogena Razor Defense face scrub
Soap: Jabonman Vetiver de Haiti
Brush: SOC Mistura boar/badger
Razor: Timeless .68 and .95, matte SS, #6 for each
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel, #3
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Clubman Pinaud Reserve Whiskey Woods aftershave

Head-to-head with the .68 and .95 base plates tonight. .68 on right cheek and left neck and .95 for the opposite. Two passes WTG/XTG on my face and N-S on my neck. Result: DFS everywhere except my lower neck, which rated SAS. The .95 areas were slightly smoother overall, but not as much as I expected. Feedback was nonexistent. Great shave.

As much as I like the soap, there's something in it that irritates my face, so it's headed for the den clearing box.

Monday shave

21FDDF15-F747-4A61-B864-EED126ADF076.jpeg

Soap: DG La Petite Prairie
Brush: Vulfix Grosvenor mixed badger/boar
Razor: Timeless .68 and .95, matte SS, #7 for each
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel, #4 and binned
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> DG La Petite Prairie aftershave

Head-to-head with the .68 and .95 base plates again. Reverse order from last night: .95 on right cheek and left neck and .68 for the opposite. Two passes WTG/XTG on my face and N-S on my neck. Result: better than last night with DFS everywhere except the left side of my lower neck, which improved to CCS. Again, the .95 areas were slightly smoother overall. Feedback was nonexistent on the .95 areas and very mild on the .68. Another enjoyable shave.

The difference is slight, but noticeable enough that I prefer the .95 for smoother and more comfortable shaves. Accordingly, I'll be using it for the final two shaves and I'll roll up a new blade tomorrow. Speaking of blades, I ended up really enjoying the Rapira Swedish Supersteel and probably could’ve gone another couple shaves on it. However I wanted to try another blade in the .95.

Tuesday shave

A0A96C47-9B66-4349-9F1D-38B0BC756FEA.jpeg

Prep: Curology Cleanser
Soap: Stirling Coconut Lime
Brush: Karve badger
Razor: Timeless .95, matte SS, #8
Blade: Kai, #2
Post: alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Clubman Reserve Gent's Gin aftershave

Two passes + neck touch-ups for an all-around DFS. Noticeable feedback from the alum. The Kai has been the least comfortable blade with this razor, but it was still an enjoyable shave.

I had actually rolled up a new blade before remembering I still had the Kai for experimenting in other razors. So, tomorrow I'll try an Astra Stainless for the first time. The Kai is going back in the drawer to await another razor.

Last edited:
Wednesday shave

319651FC-8B8A-41E4-8572-1F3AD38A5283.jpeg

Soap: MdC Fougere
Brush: Epsilon horse
Razor: Timeless .95, matte SS, #9
Blade: Astra SS, #1

As a big fan of the Astra SP, I was curious how the Astra SS would compare. At least on this first use, not as well for me. My typical two passes + neck touch-ups led to DFS on my face and a mix of CCS and SAS on my neck. More feedback from the alum, too. The Epsilon and MdC were fantastic, though!

New razor tomorrow.

Top Bottom