What's new

Rockwell Model T - in chrome finish

After waiting the years I did for mine, I had to use it. It's one of the best razors I've used, but I doubt I would have purchased it had it been much more than my pledge. The Rex is incredible and, if I had to put down a couple c-notes the Rex would win.

I am pretty sure the cost is 90-99$. But if it's close to 200$ might just well buy a Rex Ambassador.

In a few of their Model T Kickstarter updates, Rockwell indicated that pricing will need to increase on the Model T from the approx. $79-99 Kickstarter price. New suggested prices have ranged from about $120 to $195, but they haven't committed on a new price or commented on the issues for a few months. I doubt we'll hear more until the razor hopefully goes on sale to the general public in a couple of months.

My guess is that Rockwell will try to hide significant price increases by marketing Model T "packages" with sheaths, stands, blades, soap, etc.

Rockwell is well aware that an increasing price above about $100 will result in significantly lower demand. However, since I doubt the Model T can act as a loss leader to sell Rockwell blades, soap, other razors, etc., the reality of manufacturing costs, payroll, etc., will determine the price, and that price might not be as attractive as both Rockwell and wet shavers had hoped.

Hmmm. I thought the Rex was all steel, maybe with a tiny bit of brass internals.

What parts of the Rex are Zamak?
There's a thread that has all that info here on the forum. I don't have time now to find it but its one of the original threads here from over a year ago. I believe the info is on RE's site also. Its not very much that is either brass or zamac but its certainly not all stainless as most would have you think!!

There's a thread that has all that info here on the forum. I don't have time now to find it but its one of the original threads here from over a year ago. I believe the info is on RE's site also. Its not very much that is either brass or zamac but its certainly not all stainless as most would have you think!!

I've not heard that the Rex has any components other than milled 316L SS. There actually aren't very many parts, at least that are visible - anyone know or care to comment on which one is other than SS - cap, baseplate, handle, adjustment ring, locking ring? Some internal part? Anyone?

I'm sorry to see Rockwell's difficulties with the Model T, but it isn't surprising. Gillette was able to manufacture the butterfly TTO design with huge economies of scale that are no longer available, never mind the vastly higher price of all metals today, including copper and even zinc. When Gillette encountered problems with a TTO design, they could simply scrap it, as they did with the Toggle, and start over. I tried the Rex in the pass around here and was impressed overall, but notice that the Rex is not a butterfly TTO design and still retails for $249. Though I'm happy with the 6S and so don't need the Model T, I think $119 would be a very reasonable price for it with today's market conditions.

IMG_0040.JPG

The Rockwell Model T, though a nice razor, works better with some blades than others - as you’d find with most razors. So, I drafted a short diary of my shaves with the Model T and a selection of blades I try to keep around. (I'll be adding more blades later, so this log is going to expand over the upcoming weeks.)

Of course, everybody’s beard and shaving habits are a little different. If anything, these results confirm that results can be drastically different with blades and razors. But the top blades listed here are probably going to be great with a variety of shavers - including the "Top Blades" here.

TOP BLADES WITH THE MODEL T
Gillette Silver Blue: One of the sharpest blades, and shaving is smooth - even after three or four shaves.
Astra: The blades seem to work with any razor. Sharp for the first three shaves or so, but never irritating.
Feather: When using a fresh blade, shave carefully...but the next few shaves will be close and smooth, until maybe the fourth or fifth shave.
Personna Med Tech: These blades stay sharp for at least five shaves, and are a fine fit for the Model T.

GOOD BLADES FOR THE MODEL T
Kai: These Japanese-made blades come highly recommended, and work pretty well with many razors. But I noticed a decided tendency to pull on settings 5-6 - an issue that resolved after the first two or three shaves. The audible feedback was particularly loud. With the Model T, these blades get smoother after the third shave or so. There are less expensive options available.

BOTTOM BLADES FOR THE MODEL T
Rockwell Swedish blades: These aren’t the sharpest blades, and they seem to skid over my bristles. You can shave, but I have to shave the same spot over and over again. They're okay with the 6S, but not necessarily with the Model T.

I read that the Rockwell blades are rebranded low-end Treets, although I don't have any personal knowledge and have no desire to try them. Too many great blades I like or have yet to try.

I read that the Rockwell blades are rebranded low-end Treets, although I don't have any personal knowledge and have no desire to try them. Too many great blades I like or have yet to try.
For the record, Rockwell blades are are advertised as "Swedish steel" but the blades are marked as made in China. Treet is a Pakistani manufacturer, so I don't think they're Treets. I find the Rockwell blades to be poor. I don't know how much the blades contribute to their bottom line, but I think they represent a marketing blunder for Rockwell. The general consensus on these blades among experienced shavers ranges from mediocre to dreadful. Rockwell's razors on the other hand are almost uniformly considered excellent. Shipping their razors with these lousy blades will likely put off many less experienced shavers on the razor itself. It's like selling a Porsche equipped with a set of recaps.

Shipping their razors with these lousy blades will likely put off many less experienced shavers on the razor itself. It's like selling a Porsche equipped with a set of recaps.

So true. There's lots of competition for double edge razor blades. If you can get an Astra or Rapira Platinum Lux at a fair price, why settle for less? The thing is...I really like Rockwell's razors. They're clearly interested in quality and value.

In the spirit of giving credit when due, I just wanted to note that Rockwell's customer service is excellent.

I somehow got a nick on the top cap of my beloved 6S that I purchased during its Kickstarter. I emailed Rockwell to inquire whether I could purchase a replacement. They immediately stated they would replace the top cap for free, and I only needed to pay a small sum for shipping and email photos of the damage (which I assume was to confirm that my issue was genuine). I emailed the photos, received an quick invoice for the shipping charge, and my new top cap was in the mail the next day.

During my short email exchange, I also inquired about the price of the Model T once it becomes available for purchase, which should occur within the next 6 weeks. Rockwell indicated that they are still finalizing the price of the Model T.

For the record, Rockwell blades are are advertised as "Swedish steel" but the blades are marked as made in China. Treet is a Pakistani manufacturer, so I don't think they're Treets. I find the Rockwell blades to be poor. I don't know how much the blades contribute to their bottom line, but I think they represent a marketing blunder for Rockwell. The general consensus on these blades among experienced shavers ranges from mediocre to dreadful. Rockwell's razors on the other hand are almost uniformly considered excellent. Shipping their razors with these lousy blades will likely put off many less experienced shavers on the razor itself. It's like selling a Porsche equipped with a set of recaps.

What a terrific analogy! To me, it seemed logical and understandable for them to push their own soap (made by someone else of course). But the blade is such a critical component to a great shave, shipping branded, poor blades is nonsensical... it would have made more sense for them to say, “our razors work best with the following blades...”. I can’t imagine they’ve made a dime on their blade project.

I bet Rockwell has sold a lot of blades, particularly with their razor kits and R1 and 2C/6C razors which are often purchased by wet shaving novices or as gifts. Never underestimate the attractiveness of buying a convenient "package". Further, many new shavers might not possess the knowledge or experience to know if one DE blade is different or better than any other, and Rockwell would therefore be a easy, convenient and ostensibly quality source of equipment.

I bet Rockwell has sold a lot of blades, particularly with their razor kits and R1 and 2C/6C razors which are often purchased by wet shaving novices or as gifts. Never underestimate the attractiveness of buying a convenient "package". Further, many new shavers might not possess the knowledge or experience to know if one DE blade is different or better than any other, and Rockwell would therefore be a easy, convenient and ostensibly quality source of equipment.

Hmmm. I bet there are quite a few shavers who don't visit shaving communities like B&B, and all they want to do is get a good razor and decent blade. For them, shaving is just one of those things you've gotta do, and Rockwell blades are good enough. (Like someone who buys a Dell machine, and figures that it works well enough.)

Aside from which, Rockwell gives you 100 blades to start off. It's easier to just re-order Rockwells than shop for something else...and they're made in America (a big marketing point for many men).

I believe the Rockwell razors are assembled in Canada from some parts in China, and the blades are totally made in China.

Still, many shavers will get used to Razorock blades that came with the razor, recognizing that even relatively "bad" DE blades are often much better than carts, and then they will just reorder from Rockwell as the path of least resistance, the devil you know.

Providing "free" blades with a razor purchase is also similar to how drug dealers first offer people a free taste of their illicit products. Once you get hooked on wet shaving, then you'll need to satisfy your blade (and razor, brush, soap, etc) habit, and Rockwell will be more than happy to oblige.

But there's this: if Rockwell would have just taken the time and spent the money to source a decent blade, then their razors would ship equipped to shine to their potential. As it is, they don't. As @poikkeus pointed out, there are many excellent choices for blades. If it has to be a branded blade that might limit the field, but surely someone other than their no-name Chinese producer would be willing, for the right price. It might add a buck or two to the price of the "kit", but then the razor, which is the profit center here, would actually shave as capable, i.e. exceptionally well. I'd venture to guess even the novice shaver could easily tell the difference. Surely this would help sell more razors and, longer term, blades, if that matters.

To me this is just another in the comedic series of missteps Rockwell has committed throughout their tenure as a company. It's really too bad, because their razor designs are outstanding, but the conduct of their enterprise has been a joke.

I am pretty sure the cost is 90-99$. But if it's close to 200$ might just well buy a Rex Ambassador.
So what would be your prediction as far
As the future price of the Model T , will
It stabilize in a range that will make it
Competitive among all the sub $100
Super Stars.

Top Bottom