What's new

Rockwell 6C vs Merkur 34C/HD inquiry

Which baseplate on the 6C would give a shave similar to the Merkur 34C/HD and I am quite delighted with the shave I get from the latter DE razor.

I'm not so sure honestly if it has to do with the scallops on the 34c or not. I'm sure the geometry of the heads are slightly different which would effect the blade exposure, guard span, and different angles, which those things make a big difference in "feel." Many owners of the Rockwell 6c or 6s would concur that the key word for how these Rockwell razors shave is "smooth"

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I'm not so sure honestly if it has to do with the scallops on the 34c or not. I'm sure the geometry of the heads are slightly different which would effect the blade exposure, guard span, and different angles, which those things make a big difference in "feel." Many owners of the Rockwell 6c or 6s would concur that the key word for how these Rockwell razors shave is "smooth"
I agree with @ShavePastor
I have the 6s and c but never really use the c. but there is a smoothness and overall feel of the build quality, weight & balance with either. My preference is the 6s.

@Rhody , just a quick question about both your 6s & c, do they have the same blade gap & exposure on the same plates? I just finished using the 6s in the passaround tour and noticed that on the 3 plate, it was nowhere close to the same gap as on the 6c with #3 plate. With the 6s on plate 6 and the 6c on plate 3, there were about equal. It was really noticeable with the blade loaded in both in a side by side comparison and also in use. This leads me to believe the 6c is a more efficient shaver, at least from those two specific examples (perhaps tolerances and measurements vary from razor to razor on the Rockwells):001_huh:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
@Rhody , just a quick question about both your 6s & c, do they have the same blade gap & exposure on the same plates? I just finished using the 6s in the passaround tour and noticed that on the 3 plate, it was nowhere close to the same gap as on the 6c with #3 plate. With the 6s on plate 6 and the 6c on plate 3, there were about equal. It was really noticeable with the blade loaded in both in a side by side comparison and also in use. This leads me to believe the 6c is a more efficient shaver, at least from those two specific examples (perhaps tolerances and measurements vary from razor to razor on the Rockwells):001_huh:
I will try to scope it out later and try to report back.

My 34C didn't even give me a close shave so I got rid of it many years ago.

The Rockwell OTOH gives me a daily BBS on R3 plate!

I think it's all in the head geometry and not the blade gap. I reckon the gap just determines blade feel but not cutting efficiency.

In fact, I get a pretty good DFS from the R2 plate, which is a smaller gap compared to the 34c, de89, r89 etc etc.

Once I get enough practice with my 34C I'll make the upgrade to the Rockwell 6c. Those assorted plates would make me very confident in the upgraded purchase. And once the right plate is found I'll look at upgrading to the higher-end stuff but for now it's the Merkur.

My 34C didn't even give me a close shave so I got rid of it many years ago.

The Rockwell OTOH gives me a daily BBS on R3 plate!

I think it's all in the head geometry and not the blade gap. I reckon the gap just determines blade feel but not cutting efficiency.

In fact, I get a pretty good DFS from the R2 plate, which is a smaller gap compared to the 34c, de89, r89 etc etc.

@nav, could it be that your technique is much better now than it was many years ago when you tried the 34C rather than the difference between the Rockwell and the 34C?

@nav, could it be that your technique is much better now than it was many years ago when you tried the 34C rather than the difference between the Rockwell and the 34C?

I don't think that's the case because I tried the 34c about 4 years after I started de shaving. I was already using the progress with great results but wanted to try the 34c, but it definitely didn't work out. I have a feeling that it was not efficient and I inadvertently applied pressure...just a guess.

For me and my face, my Merkur 34C feels very similar to my Rockwell 6C with plate R3,
both loaded with a Gillette Nacet. And as much as I love my 34C, I have to say that
my Rockwell feels smoother and more efficient.

They are similar, but I give the nod to the 34C for my case. I like the lower profile head, shorter handle, and lighter weight. It feels more nimble to me.

The 6C is also a great razor, and I understand why some may prefer it, particularly if they favor plates 4-6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once I get enough practice with my 34C I'll make the upgrade to the Rockwell 6c. Those assorted plates would make me very confident in the upgraded purchase. And once the right plate is found I'll look at upgrading to the higher-end stuff but for now it's the Merkur.

They are similar, but I give the nod to the 34C for my case. I like the lower profile head, shorter handle, and lighter weight. It feels more nimble to me....The 6C is also a great razor, and I understand why some may prefer it, particularly if they favor plates 4-6......Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astra blade, ToBS Sandalwood Cream, grape seed oil preshave.

My initial impressions following some shaves with the 34C/HD versus the 6C + #3 shim:

I prefer the overall weight and balance of the 34HD; it's smaller with a more "compact" head and we know the reason why. The 34HD gives me a slightly better DFS than the 6C + #3 shim. (EDIT) And I think that I prefer the feedback to my fingers that the fluting on the 34C provides.

Apples Versus Oranges: in the next couple of shaves I'll use the 6C + the more aggressive #4 shim and report back to y'all.

Happy shaving! 8))

Last edited:

Astra bland, ToBS Sandalwood Cream, grape seed oil preshave.

My initial impressions following some shaves with the 34C/HD versus the 6C + #3 shim:

I prefer the overall weight and balance of the 34HD; it's smaller with a more "compact" head and we know the reason why. The 34HD gives me a slightly better DFS than the 6C + #3 shim. (EDIT) And I think that I prefer the feedback to my fingers that the fluting on the 34C provides.

Apples Versus Oranges: in the next couple of shaves I'll use the 6C + the more aggressive #4 shim and report back to y'all.

Happy shaving! 8))

Looking forward to your review. I also have the 34C and it's a great handling razor. However for my beard and skin type I need a just a bit more efficiency, and that is where the Rockwell with plate R3 has been a perfect blend of both smoothness and efficiency for me. That said, we are all different and that certainly accounts for differences in our results.

If I could manage to actually go two or more days without shaving I would love to try plate R6 sometime. The ritual of daily shaving with the Rockwell is so pleasurable I can't even skip one day :)

#3 plate is pretty close in terms of gap between both, but I'd give the nod to Rockwell for a smoother feel.

My experience has been the same as ShavePastor. Smooth is really the keyword for the Rockwell, and I find for me the #3 plate also gives me a shave that lasts a bit longer than with my 34C. The R4 has become my preferred plate though. It gives me a real BBS, with 14 hours plus before I can feel any significant stubble at all, and it is every bit as smooth and comfortable as the 34C, maybe more so. I've been using mostly Astra SP with both, but I find that #4 with feather is still perfectly smooth and comfortable.
I also prefer a light razor with a thin profile, but I'm finding that the more I use the 6C the less often I'm reaching for anything else. This morning is shaved with my Fatip Grande. Excellent shave, but no better than 6C/#4, and the shave demanded more attention and time.
And once the right plate is found I'll look at upgrading to the higher-end stuff but for now it's the Merkur.
I think the 6C has veered me off that path; not sure there is anything to upgrade to :)

My experience has been the same as ShavePastor. Smooth is really the keyword for the Rockwell, and I find for me the #3 plate also gives me a shave that lasts a bit longer than with my 34C. The R4 has become my preferred plate though. It gives me a real BBS, with 14 hours plus before I can feel any significant stubble at all, and it is every bit as smooth and comfortable as the 34C, maybe more so. I've been using mostly Astra SP with both, but I find that #4 with feather is still perfectly smooth and comfortable.
I also prefer a light razor with a thin profile, but I'm finding that the more I use the 6C the less often I'm reaching for anything else. This morning is shaved with my Fatip Grande. Excellent shave, but no better than 6C/#4, and the shave demanded more attention and time.

I think the 6C has veered me off that path; not sure there is anything to upgrade to :)

Good to know especially that final statement.

I should add that, being a fan of lighter razors, the only real adjustment I had to make with the Rockwell was to be mindful of the weight and make sure I'm using it with a light touch, same as I would wth my Grande. The first shave with it I forgot about the weight and got a bit of razor burn on the neck, but it has never happened again.

Top Bottom