What's new

Rockwell 6C/S vs 34C

Given their return policy, I don't see any way to lose with the Rockwell 6. If you can afford it, I would go for the 6S -Stainless. As indicated, it's built like a tank. You can play with the plates. I have pretty much settled into plate 4 predominately, though I have used plate 5 when I have several days growth. For me, plate 4 is suitable as a daily driver.

Cheers!

Given their return policy, I don't see any way to lose with the Rockwell 6. If you can afford it, I would go for the 6S -Stainless. As indicated, it's built like a tank. You can play with the plates. I have pretty much settled into plate 4 predominately, though I have used plate 5 when I have several days growth. For me, plate 4 is suitable as a daily driver.

Cheers!
Thank you for the feedback. I’ve read enough praise at this point to definitely give the 6S a try. Hopefully Rockwell offers direct discounts for it on Black Friday, but I’ll pick one up regardless.

34C is not aggressive, but changing to aggressive blade is option.

Have you pitched a sampler of aggressive blades you might find results you seek.🥳

+1! Definitely worth a try!

Plus any ‘new’ to me razor means that I need to try a bunch of blades to see which works best.

to not know the sweetness of a 34c what did you use to shave before?🤔

I think OP means he has been shaving with disposables / carts for several decades.

I had a Braun Series 9 Pro for a couple weeks recently before I tried and preferred safety razors. The Braun is getting returned.

On that basis, he can't have had either for very long. There's probably a lot of improvement to come from technique still, but the current production 34c is pretty darned mild - it's no longer the razor a lot of us recall fondly.

I want to be wowed by how much hair it removes in a single stroke and I’m not going to get that with a mild razor.

Honestly, the difference in hair removal between something quite aggressive and something with neutral blade exposure really isn't that significant. Technique is a much bigger factor. What the additional aggression mostly gives you is extra blade feel and the requirement to develop a proportionately light touch so as to avoid irritation. You might get to knock a pass off a 3 pass routine with something really aggressive, but I think if you are looking to be "wowed" you are probably going to be disappointed (and quite possibly, razor burned).

That said, if you decide to stick with safety razors you will almost certainly end up with something else sooner or later and if the 6S takes your fancy it's certainly a safer option, due to all the plates. Even if you discover that actually, a lot of aggression isn't for you, you can fall back on the milder plates - also, from what I understand even the highest plate of the 6S isn't that aggressive.

If you just want to jump to something aggressive without having a safety net, I would go with the Lupo 0.95 or the new Gamechanger 1.05 plate. It'll be cheaper than the Rockwell for what I personally think are much nicer looking razors, and if you do find either too aggressive, you can always pick up a milder plate for either and it'll probably still cost less than the Rockwell.

Edit: too late!

If you just want to jump to something aggressive without having a safety net, I would go with the Lupo 0.95 or the new Gamechanger 1.05 plate. It'll be cheaper than the Rockwell for what I personally think are much nicer looking razors, and if you do find either too aggressive, you can always pick up a milder plate for either and it'll probably still cost less than the Rockwell.

Edit: too late!
Hah, it’s never too late. This has become a fun li’l hobby and the GameChanger is already on my list, especially considering the low price. I don’t know what the difference is between the Lupo and GC, but I see people praising the GC more often. Perhaps that’s just because the Lupo is newer, however, so fewer people have them 🤔

Hah, it’s never too late. This has become a fun li’l hobby and the GameChanger is already on my list, especially considering the low price. I don’t know what the difference is between the Lupo and GC, but I see people praising the GC more often. Perhaps that’s just because the Lupo is newer, however, so fewer people have them 🤔

I think the Gamechanger made more of an impact because, when it launched a few years ago, there were comparatively few CNC razors available and none at that kind of price. The options have exploded since then.

I own both the GC and Lupo with their "original" plates (0.68, 0.84 & 0.76, 0.95). The GC has a more traditional feel to it in terms of the ratio between gap / exposure, whereas the Lupo seems to derive it's aggression more from being blade forward, which is how the 0.76 Lupo is more aggressive than the 0.84 GC.

The only one I don't really care for is the 0.76 Lupo. I find the 0.95 more comfortable and efficient, but there are a good number of folks who think the 0.76 Lupo is perfect and the best of the lot, so it's very much about personal tastes.

You can't really go wrong with either.

I posted this yesterday in the Rockwell shavers club thread. If you are considering Rockwell razor, now is the time.

Love my 6C and with this deal I trying to justify and upgrade to a 6S…

————————————

Right now, Nov 12… Rockwell is having a huge black friday sale on their website. If anyone is considering getting one, or another one, now is the time. Remember, Rockwell razors include a lifetime warranty but only if purchased through their website (or from their Amazon storefront after you register your purchase on their website). Also, a 60 day return policy. Rockwell Razors - Adjustable Double Edge Safety Razors - https://getrockwell.com/

Also, if you have a discount code, you can double dip and get an additional $10 (not sure if I am allowed to post a discount code here)

The BEST deals include the $40 Rockwell razor stand.
6C w/stand: $75 (list $100)
6S w/stand: $105 (list $150)
6S colored w/stand: $114 (list $190)
T2 w/stand: $114 (list: $190)

6C: $54
6S: $96
6S colored: $112.50
T2: $112.5
Note: for only $1.50 more you can get the stand with the T2 or a colored 6S 👍

Last edited:
Oh it’s adequate after three passes, I suppose, but I want a razor that removes more stubble with fewer passes. I’ve tried the 34C with Astra SP, Feather, and Personna. I’ve used the fully battery of Proraso products - pre-shave, shaving cream, alum bar, after shave, etc. I’ve also tried it with just Edge gel (slightly better results). Frankly, my Gillette C King shaves better than my 34C.

I want to be wowed by how much hair it removes in a single stroke and I’m not going to get that with a mild razor.
My recommendation would be a 2011 Muhle R41, but there could be a price to pay, in more than one way. Ikon Tech also comes to mind.

Im not a fan of the Rockwell 6C/6S due to blade gap bias with certain blades. It's a long term issue that was never "fixed", but likely limited to ID/design.

Head is also too bulky for maneuverability IMHO, but this is subjective.

I think the Gamechanger made more of an impact because, when it launched a few years ago, there were comparatively few CNC razors available and none at that kind of price. The options have exploded since then.

I own both the GC and Lupo with their "original" plates (0.68, 0.84 & 0.76, 0.95). The GC has a more traditional feel to it in terms of the ratio between gap / exposure, whereas the Lupo seems to derive it's aggression more from being blade forward, which is how the 0.76 Lupo is more aggressive than the 0.84 GC.

The only one I don't really care for is the 0.76 Lupo. I find the 0.95 more comfortable and efficient, but there are a good number of folks who think the 0.76 Lupo is perfect and the best of the lot, so it's very much about personal tastes.

You can't really go wrong with either.

Yeah the .72 LUPO certainly has more blade feel, I'll also agree that the limited .72 SB area does feel a little awkward for me when blades get dull.

It's both more and less efficient than GC .84 over time and use with specific blades, at least from my use case these past couple weeks. IE: Lupo .72 does get closer than .84 GC for me subjectively, but I can stretch blades longer on GC .84.

GC is certainly a very forgiving design all the way up to .84.. I haven't tried the newer 1.05 yet.

The Rockwell is closer to the GC line for pure smoothness. LUPO is a completely different beast and more blade forward for sure.. "Aggressive" like you more or less mentioned.

I like both the .72 LUPO and .84 GC for different reasons..

.84 GC would be my choice for a pure shower shave if I want something done quick with Cremo. I suspect the newer 1.05 model to work better for this type of usage.

.72 LUPO is more of a general shaver and upgrade to something like a R89 or 34C. adding needed efficiency due to exposure.

Last edited:
I grew tired of the Rockwell razors. They do a fine job of using Youtubers of promoting their razors, but I am not that cat, I buy, I try, I cut bait at a loss if I don't like. I use a Lupo 95 and a R41 when I use a DE, but I have a place for 34G. With a feather (or similar ) blade, it pushed the 34 to a brain dead razor. Good for the shower when you don't have a mirror, don't want to concentrate, and still give a good finish. I do not like the bulky head of the Rockwell, the only head aggressive enough for my whiskers is the R6 so all the other plates are useless to me, I see no advantage to their "adjustable" approach.

I grew tired of the Rockwell razors. They do a fine job of using Youtubers of promoting their razors, but I am not that cat, I buy, I try, I cut bait at a loss if I don't like. I use a Lupo 95 and a R41 when I use a DE, but I have a place for 34G. With a feather (or similar ) blade, it pushed the 34 to a brain dead razor. Good for the shower when you don't have a mirror, don't want to concentrate, and still give a good finish. I do not like the bulky head of the Rockwell, the only head aggressive enough for my whiskers is the R6 so all the other plates are useless to me, I see no advantage to their "adjustable" approach.
Just tried out my 6C yesterday with a drugstore quality blade, and I was impressed. The shave rivaled some of my more aggressive razors as far as quality and longevity of the outcome are concerned. Using the R3 plate for starters, means I have 3 additional levels to go to if needed. For me, and of course YMMV, the head bulkiness is not a problem for someone who uses the Merkur Futur, or IKON SBS razors. I eyeballed the top of the cap distance to the blade edge, in the vertical plane, and it was close to many of my other, normal razors, thus no problem getting the moustache area addressed. For the 6C's overall weight, it seems pretty balanced to me.

Top Bottom