What's new

Rockwell 6C/S vs 34C

I made the mistake of buying the Merkur 34C which is much too mild to my liking. I ready/watch rave reviews of the Rockwell 6C/S/T2. Are these models, on the higher settings, significantly more efficient than the 34C?

If so, which Rockwell do you recommend and why?

I like the 6S.

I only use aggressive razors and the 6S #6 plate is perfect for me and is the only one I use.

The 6C is identical but inferior metal. Won’t make any difference unless you maybe drop it. The 6C is much less expensive as well.

I too have a Rockwell 6S, and I like it a lot (much more than the Merkur 38C it replaced). The 6S is tank-like in its construction, which is primarily what you're paying for over the 6C, in my opinion.

Can't really say which one of the three razors you should consider, but the 6S/Plate 4 combo will mow down a three-day growth of my entirely average beard with ease using a moderately sharp blade.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The only alternatives to a Merkur 34c are either Rockwell 6C or Rockwell 6S?
This is why we can't have nice things! There are plenty of arguably way better alternatives out there.

The 6s will be the right choice if you basically like the geometry of the Merkur and are looking for something more efficient. Plates 5 or 6 will be right for you. Maybe already Plate 4.
I prefer the "s" over the "c". I have a 6s and a 2c as well as a 34g.
But let me tell you also the 34g can give super close shaves, at least for me after refining my technique.

If you are new wet shaver don't spend big bucks on razor you don't know. My recommendation is DS Cosmetics AX-SE zamack trio. For 23€ you get three(!) baseplates. It is not possible that you don't like some of them. It is poor-mans Wolfman. If you like it you can always upgrade. If you don't the loss is small !

I made the mistake of buying the Merkur 34C which is much too mild to my liking. I ready/watch rave reviews of the Rockwell 6C/S/T2. Are these models, on the higher settings, significantly more efficient than the 34C?

34C is not aggressive, but changing to aggressive blade is option.

Have you pitched a sampler of aggressive blades you might find results you seek.🥳

Yes they are. The 34C is probably equivalent to the 6S with the R3 plate so you will have three more aggressive plates to play with 👍

Have you mapped ypur beard growth properly? And I'd recommend to turn radio off when shaving. The merkur gives you audible feedback when you hit the right angle.

I

Island

I used the Merkur 34c for several years before changing to more modern razors. It worked well when I was using it. Have you tried Feather or Kai blades? What soap/ prep are you using?
The only downside I remember was that the threads could wear out prematurely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the Merkur 34c for several years before changing to more modern razors. It worked well when I was using it. Have you tried Feather or Kai blades? What soap/ prep are you using?
The only downside I remember was that the threads could wear out prematurely.
Oh it’s adequate after three passes, I suppose, but I want a razor that removes more stubble with fewer passes. I’ve tried the 34C with Astra SP, Feather, and Personna. I’ve used the fully battery of Proraso products - pre-shave, shaving cream, alum bar, after shave, etc. I’ve also tried it with just Edge gel (slightly better results). Frankly, my Gillette C King shaves better than my 34C.

I want to be wowed by how much hair it removes in a single stroke and I’m not going to get that with a mild razor.

Oh it’s adequate after three passes, I suppose, but I want a razor that removes more stubble with fewer passes. I’ve tried the 34C with Astra SP, Feather, and Personna. I’ve used the fully battery of Proraso products - pre-shave, shaving cream, alum bar, after shave, etc. I’ve also tried it with just Edge gel (slightly better results). Frankly, my Gillette C King shaves better than my 34C.

I want to be wowed by how much hair it removes in a single stroke and I’m not going to get that with a mild razor.
a question? How long have you been practicing wet shaving?

to not know the sweetness of a 34c what did you use to shave before?🤔
Oh it’s a step up from the disposable razors I was using before (different brands); I just haven’t been wowed by the GCK or 34C.

I’m definitely in the camp of those who will prefer a more efficient razor, even if it will require more practice and diligence. Besides, researching and trying razors has turned out to be fun for me. It isn’t just a means to an end.

Oh, and I had a Braun Series 9 Pro for a couple weeks recently before I tried and preferred safety razors. The Braun is getting returned.

Top Bottom