What's new

Rex Supply Ambassador...

This razor should have the best QC of any razor sold today!! I have almost pulled the trigger on this razor 3 times now because I actually think its an outstanding looking razor, but every time you turn around there is another post of something wrong with theirs... Such a shame... I now cringe every time I read that someone bought one that had problems and think to myself that could've been me!!

Yeah, I've been to their site, ready to buy several times the past couple months. I just can't pull the trigger given the ongoing issues. I hope they sort things out eventually; I'm seriously pulling for them.

I considered it - especially since its made in the USA. I have also seen a lot of YouTube videos singing it's praises; however, the price just stuck in my craw.

So, I pulled the trigger on a Parker Variant (one-fourth of the price) and have been pleased so far.

Maggards to the rescue. Talk about going above and beyond and the epitome of customer service. I left an honest review of the REX on maggards site, and received an email this morning. Maggards is sending me a replacement REX that they said they'll personally inspect, with a return shipping label to send the old one back and they'll deal with the manufacturer. Unbelievable customer service! They will continue to get my money whenever I order anything.

I could not be more pleased with Maggards myself. Always helpful and their products well made and reasonably priced.

IMG_1569.JPG
IMG_1570.JPG
IMG_1571.JPG
IMG_1572.JPG
IMG_1573.JPG
IMG_1574.JPG
My replacement REX showed up today and it's much better than the first one. Finish is exactly the same and perfectly fine. I kinda like the brushed finish. No excessive maching marks and no pits anywhere. The baseplate is also pretty spot on. There could be a slight, and I do mean slight cant when it's dialed on 6, or it could be a placebo effect? Either way it's good enough for the girls I go with! I'm more than happy with the razor.

It's also shaves amazing. I used it on setting 2 tonight and had one days growth. Smooth and efficient. Maybe even more efficient than my ATT R1 (which is my go to razor for the time being.) I used a Gillette Nacet on its second use and it seems to be a perfect combo. No weepers or irritation using Stirling Barbershop. The weight of the razor does all of the work. I can definitely see this becoming my favorite razor (for the time being.)

Now here's some pictures of both sides of the razor on settings 1,3 and 6, so people can get an idea of blade gaps on each setting.

Thanks for the pictures & review, 03 Jarhead. It doesn't look like a man-eater in the pictures, and it's a beaut. But, PLEASE don't tell me at setting 2 it's as aggressive as an R1. That's too much stick for me.

Thanks,
Ron

Well, I use my REX on 6.5, as high as it will go on a feather and it's nowhere near as aggressive as my R41, way smoother though and in my rotation.

Not sure why but I keep coming back to wanting this razor although I have absolutely no need for it and was never sold on adjustables. It looks like it has a head geometry that I’d like. I don’t like how the adjustment knob has no discernible clicks for each level. Who knows we’ll see lol

The more I use this razor the more I like it. Tonight I used it for one days growth. Setting 2.5 wtg and then 2 for xtg. I thought what the heck I'll try it on setting 1 ATG to see if it'll work. It did. Bbs after 3 passes. What amazed me was it was actually cutting on setting 1. All of my other adjustable razors such as my Fatboy and slim are pretty much useless on setting 1, and I run both the slim and Fatboy on settings 6,7 or 8 most of the time. I'm going to keep using the REX for a month to really get it dialed in. I'll keep the thread updated.

There is something about the REX than makes me go for it every time I shave even though I have a hoard of different razors including some expensive ones. The only criticism I have is that it should be more aggressive on 6. I shave on 6 for the first pass and it's fine, but if there was a 7.5, for me it would have been better.

Why would anyone buy and be happy with blade alignment issues on such expensive and "high quality" razor..?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

I have yet to read about a Rex with blade alignment issues.
I think what he was referring to was the canting issue like you had on yours...
All those issues have been fixed. No problems at all with mine, which is the latest N series
@03Jarhead had the canting issue on his N series so it would seem all the problems weren't worked out as yet. However, his replacement seems to be in great shape though, but then again it should've been as I'm sure it was thoroughly looked over prior to shipping the 2nd time around!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again... There is absolutely no excuse for a razor in this price range to be sent out with anything wrong with it. If it does that tells me that all the mfg cares about is making a buck. You can say what you will about how great the CS was but was it really that great if you had to order one, send it back, and then receive another? That doesn't even fall in the good CS bracket for me!! For $250 the mfg or vendor should overnight the razor to me so I can shave with it the next day at their expense and be 100% problem free from the 1st to the last razor they ship!! Just my opinion!!

I think what he was referring to was the canting issue like you had on yours...

@03Jarhead had the canting issue on his N series so it would seem all the problems weren't worked out as yet. However, his replacement seems to be in great shape though, but then again it should've been as I'm sure it was thoroughly looked over prior to shipping the 2nd time around!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again... There is absolutely no excuse for a razor in this price range to be sent out with anything wrong with it. If it does that tells me that all the mfg cares about is making a buck. You can say what you will about how great the CS was but was it really that great if you had to order one, send it back, and then receive another? That doesn't even fall in the good CS bracket for me!! For $250 the mfg or vendor should overnight the razor to me so I can shave with it the next day at their expense and be 100% problem free from the 1st to the last razor they ship!! Just my opinion!!

I agree after I did a shave comparison with a Rex and a Vintage Gibbs #17 adjustable which was the inspiration for the Rex especially the head. I sent it out to someone who we all know that knows a little bit about repairing and restoring razors, understands specs etc and this is what he wrote back after looking it over.

Hi blank

I took a look at Blanks Rex again and the design flaw that is creating this "blade teetering" is simply a product of the design itself. This is not something I can fix as the adjustment plate appears to have a little more lateral play than it should have. You can actually make the adjustment plate teeter with your fingers with the dial set on the highest setting. While RE might be able to replace this one with a new one, I firmly believe all REX razors will have some degree of this issue as the design will produce some teetering. The only way to fix this would be to tighten the specs on the adjustment plate as it relates to the fixed piece that has the safety bars on it. Personally, I think this is a nicely machined razor but not one I would pay a premium for.

I also had a follow up conversation with him and he said an easy test for owner to do is the pins should just drop in place with no maneuvering and on that particular Rex it did not.

I was very excited about the Rex as I'm a huge fan of the Gibbs and have a great collection of them but until all the issues are corrected I would not consider buying one.. also in a side by side the Vintage Gibbs was the winner in both efficiency and smoothness. Well at least that Rex. FWIW that Rex was already sent back and returned as it had finish issues. When it came back there was still a bur under the baseplate on one side and then all the mechanical issues that were mentioned above.
This is a high end razor and I agree it should be perfect. If not then either don't release it or announce that the razor may have some fit and finish flaws and any other issues and sell it for a big discount and let potential buyers decide if they want to purchase one knowing that. At least RE could recoup it's cost of goods and maybe correct the issues on the next run. Supposedly the 2018 edition has been corrected but I'm not sure it's not out yet according to a dealer who sells them.
I'd also like to see a little more blade gap on the next generation as I found the vintage Gibbs was more efficient on a lower setting than the highest setting on the Rex.
I give RE a lot of credit for trying to come out with an American made all SS adjustable. I just wish they had done their homework a little better as this razor has had somewhat of a " Dark Cloud" hanging over it since it's launch.
I wish them good luck with it and I hope in the future to have the opportunity to try and compare a newer version of the Rex to the Gibbs and see how it stacks up.

Oh I agree whole heartedly that for $250 a razor should be perfect from the start and have zero issues. Initially that's why I didn't buy one. I gambled when I bought the first one and lost. Luckily though Maggards made it right, when it wasn't really their problem and could've just let me deal with razor emporium. But they didn't and that's why I was praising their customer service.

But yes for that kinda money the REX should have way better quality control. That's why I posted my review so others could make an informed choice before rolling the dice. With that being said, I'm extremely happy with my second sample of the razor, and if they get them all right the first time they'll have an awesome, American made piece that will sell very well. And I hope that does happen!

[A

It's also shaves amazing. I used it on setting 2 tonight and had one days growth. Smooth and efficient. Maybe even more efficient than my ATT R1 (which is my go to razor for the time being.).).

Interesting. I use the ATT R1 as my daily razor as well and find it pretty aggressive (def a great razor for me). I was under the impression the Rex was a more mild shaver overall.

Top Bottom