What's new

Rex Supply Ambassador...

Hi kyproset. How do you like the Rex compared to your Paradigm 17-4. I know... to some extent this is a apple to oranges comparison, but has the Rex a setting with a similarly good balance between comfort/smoothness and efficiency?
The Paradigm 17-4 is much smoother on the face then the Rex. Both are efficient shavers and of course the Rex is adjustable but the paradigm has smooth face feel and efficiency so no adjustment is necessary. For me I would take the Paradigm any day over the Rex. The best adjustable that I have used is the rocnel Sailor. But as far as price goes it's $150 more than the Rex and there are not many available

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks very much for the feedback! Not what I liked to hear ;). Still veeery interested in the TiII razor but with the occasional 15% discount for the Rex the final price of the Paradigm for me here in Europe will be almost twice that of the Rex.
Already feel crazy even considering these razors :).
And already keeping an eye on the new Paradigm AC razor ;).

The 17-4 is smoother and more efficient than the REX even on the highest setting. There is no doubt about this. What I like about the REX is the adjustability which enables me to use the right setting according to what is needed at different face parts. We all have different growth pattern and different stubble coarsness in different parts of our faces. The REX allows for that, while the 17-4 is an extremely efficient, smooth razor everywhere at all times on the face, even on parts that need less efficiency.
Don't get me wrong, the REX is a smooth razor as well, but not as smooth, smooth enough for me though and I do like smoothness in a efficient razor. I didn't feel any tugging or pulling at anytime during the shave and I didn't have to be as carefull in avoiding using weight like I have to do with the 17-4. The outcome is a similar long lasting BBS. If I used the 17-4 carelessly, it would bite me. The REX I don't think, as it's a more forgiving DE. Although I haven't tried it, I think the Paradigm Ti2 would be better suited for me as it's a tad less efficient and as smooth as the 17-4. YMMV of-course. Both the REX and 17-4 are my two cold dead finger DE's.

Last edited:
The Timeless.95 is more efficient than the Rex on the highest setting. I also find the Timeless head being high polished has no drag like the satin finished Rex that @Shavemd was nice enough to lend me. He sent it to me to use for a week or so to compare it to my vintage Gibbs #17 which was the inspiration for the Rex and the results can be found in the Shave comparison thread that’s still up. I also had a chance to compare it to other Razors in my den as well. That particular Rex had 3 flaws from the manufacturer but has since been replaced so hopefully the design flaws have been corrected.

NCGent,
Mine is flawless, equal blade reveal and the settings are also true throughout. No smiles on this one. Blade loading is so snug, making it impossible for the blade to move, even on a not fully tightened top cap. Workmanship is perfect and lots of grip. Very well balanced in the hand. Great face feel. I used setting 4 and 6 for my chin hard area. One thing that impressewd me was that it would make an easy job on areas I would normally go over a few times to get a decent result.
First shave with it on a used Polsilver was smooth and uneventful. BBS in 2 passes, WTG, mixed X&ATG. It was so irritation free, I forgot to use my usual balm without my face complaining afterwards.
It's a top quality razor and I would recomment to anyone looking for a top quality SS adjustable. Matt has nailed it.
Having said all these, I have to say that when I was ordering I put in a note so the REX would be belivered to FrugalShave for a test run and a u-tube video which anyone can watch. What was astonishing about the video is that Aaron took a 2inch thick beard down on setting 6 without any drama.

Kyproset, thank you very much for your detailed reply. It sure sounds like you are having a great experience with the razor. I ordered one not to long ago and I'm just waiting for it to appear on my door step. After reading your comments I hope that I have the same level of satisfaction with mine as you have with yours. Again Thank You for taking the time to post your experience with the razor.

A big thank you to Matt at Razor Emporium. He stood behind his razor and when mine had issues he offered to replace it as soon as the new batch is in. That is customer service

IMG_4936.JPG
I had a great shave with my Ambassador today. After all this time with it though, I still have some work to do on my technique. I switch around a lot.

I had my shave too with the REX today and I used a Personna tungsten74 for the first time. What a combo. Smoother than the polsilver and sharper than the Feather.

Got my Rex the other day. First of all I have to say the razor is very well made and the adjusting mechanism is simple and robust. The finish is good, not a Wolfman but good. Machine marks on the underside of the top cap but even a Timeless has that. Absolutely no problem with blade alignment and canted blade.
Now the shave. If you are used to a Timeless 0.95 or a Wolfman 0.74 then the Rex will feel mild even on 6. This is because the blade exposure is not as much. You’ll need more work to get a BBS, but you can put some pressure and not much attention without fear of getting nicks. It is indeed very difficult to get a cut.
It is not as mild as a feather as-d2 or a Guerrilla, which I sold because annoyingly inefficient. You can get a decent BBS but requires a bit of work compared to other more aggressive razors.
For the price I think this is an excellent razor, but if you are used to more aggressive razor you might just use this on 6 all the time.

Carlo

Mine arrived yesterday. While the finish is great, the safety bar is slanted. I'm slightly disappointed but I called and spoke to Matt and he said send it in and they'll fix it. Mine is an N1 code.

I also just received my Rex Razor a little earlier today. While I haven't shaved with it yet I have given it a serious looking over several times. To me it looks absolutely fantastic in every way. The fit and finish on this razor is very nice. The grip on the handle is just amazing. It goes thru it's adjustment range very smooth. Mine is an N1 plate and I don't see any canting issues of any kind whatsoever. The razor does have a little heft to it but if feels very good in the hand. I tossed in a blade to see if everything still looks good and it does. The alignment of the blade to the safety bar on each side is perfect to my eye. At this point I'm more than satisfied with the build quality of this razor. As such, I'm super excited to have this razor in my den and will be putting it through it's paces in short order. I hope it shaves as good as it looks. Stay tuned.

How tight is the adjustment ring? Do you have the impression one might accidentally change the setting during the shave?

The adjustment ring isn't overly tight. I think that it does have the potential to be inadvertently moved. Many reviews point that our specifically on YouTube. the rate at which these razors are having issues seems to show a severe lack of quality control. Hopefully it gets straightened out. At this point I'm thinking I should've just stuck with my ATT and waited a year or so to plunk down the cash on the REX.

The adjustment ring isn't overly tight. I think that it does have the potential to be inadvertently moved. Many reviews point that our specifically on YouTube. the rate at which these razors are having issues seems to show a severe lack of quality control. Hopefully it gets straightened out. At this point I'm thinking I should've just stuck with my ATT and waited a year or so to plunk down the cash on the REX.

Agreed. Great customer service but shame that it’s necessary. Starting to feel I should’ve gone a blackbird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom