What's new

Rex Supply Ambassador...

Yep I just sold one of mine for $232.50 and only paid about 45 euros for it a couple of yrs ago. Still my personal favorite adjustable as far as shave quality goes.
So yeah words out. They are getting harder to find which is driving the demand and the prices up.
Do you know what the head of the Gibbs is made from?

Bill

A new generation of the ambassador? What are the improvements....just QC improvements or are there design upgrades? I am very curious about this...first I have heard :shaving:

From what I have read, Matt has tightened the adjustment dial, changed the drainage holes and also some other QC improvements, I will post more when I receive my replacement.

From what I have read, Matt has tightened the adjustment dial, changed the drainage holes and also some other QC improvements, I will post more when I receive my replacement.
I have heard from Matt the same things. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on an Ambassador yet - still waiting to hear from people who purchased razors from this last batch.

Well, with all these stories of sending razors back and forth, I think I'll pass for the time being. Even with the extra discount, I can't afford to have to send it in and out of Panama, at my cost, since I don't think RE will pay for international shipping charges.
I think I'll get a Parker Variant instead, and satisfy my RAS rush.

After speaking with Matt again and also corresponding with others I am convinced that all of the problems that were experienced with the initial offering of the Rex Ambassador are now resolved. That being the case I ordered one. Once it arrives I will chime in again.

Memory serves me he said the same thing back in January!!

eta... February and March as well...

Last edited:
I received my Rex Supply Ambassador razor today and it is perfect. The fit and finish of it is on a par with or better than my Above The Tie SE1. The adjustment ring has a very nice tactile feel. There shouldn't be an issue with accidentally moving it to another setting while shaving. No blade alignment issues. I'm very pleased with this razor so far.

I received my Rex Supply Ambassador razor today and it is perfect. The fit and finish of it is on a par with or better than my Above The Tie SE1. The adjustment ring has a very nice tactile feel. There shouldn't be an issue with accidentally moving it to another setting while shaving. No blade alignment issues. I'm very pleased with this razor so far.
That’s great to hear. Do you know if it’s more aggressive than the first batch? Let us know how it shaves.

I meant to post this sooner but just haven't be able to get around to it. I've taken my Rex Ambassador out for a few spins around the block not too very long ago, and did once again this morning. I went with my standard routine of 3 passes WTG, XTG, and ATG shaves for each of them using Personna Lab Blue blades. This morning was no different and I got a really fantastic shave with it again. I've found that I like setting 3 with this razor and I haven't had the adjustment change from where I'd set it initially during any of my shaves.

I really like this razor quite a bit, and I have no doubt that I'll be reaching for it often in the future. :thumbsup:

That’s great to hear Bill!

May I please ask what are the fifth and sixth characters of your serial number (the rightmost letter and number)? — Thanks.

I have right now 12 razors, including my latest acquisition of 2 more slim adjustables that hasn't arrived yet. An I1 in pretty good condition, and a K4 (birth year and quarter), which I'm planning to have it replated, but that depends on how it ends up once I finish brushing and polishing it.

And I'm still pretty short from the price of a new Rex Ambassador.

So, is the Rex Ambassador 12 times as good as any of my razors, including the Rockwell 6C and my slims, which shave me like a feather? I don't think so.

Will I buy it in the future? Oh definitively. Once it has all its issued debugged, and if the price goes down a bit, I might take the plunge. But for now, I'll pass. Maybe for Christmas, or if RE makes a black Friday offer.

Just finished my first shave with the Rex Ambassador. Setting #3. More aggressive and efficient than my 1956 Gillette Red Tip. Got a little careless with it because it is so smooth and was rewarded with some minor irritation but then again I have sensitive skin. No nicks or weepers. Also I got a 3 pass BBS shave; maybe the closest I have ever gotten. Used a new Astra SP. I will follow-up after I have a couple of more shaves with it. Gee, it's a beautiful razor - not just another pretty face though; it's a great shaver.

0837N1 May I ask why you wanted this serial number?

First off, thanks very much Bill.

I asked because reported problems make me reluctant to buy a Rex, so I wanted to know if yours was a more recently manufactured razor. I do wish Matt, the Rex, and RE the best, and I am confident things will eventually pan out well. I am just trying to assess how much I think the smoke has cleared before I pull the trigger.

First off, thanks very much Bill.

I asked because reported problems make me reluctant to buy a Rex, so I wanted to know if yours was a more recently manufactured razor. I do wish Matt, the Rex, and RE the best, and I am confident things will eventually pan out well. I am just trying to assess how much I think the smoke has cleared before I pull the trigger.
I understand your hesitation. This is a very expensive piece of hardware. I had many conversations with Matt at Razor emporium. The last several months production runs have had no returns. I may be mistaken but I think that Matt has personally been inspecting and correcting any flaws before any are shipped. This is why I chose to buy now. My Rex Ambassador was delivered in perfect condition and is going to be with me forever. It, along with my other razors will be passed along to my son.

The last several months production runs have had no returns.
You must not have read this entire thread I'm thinking... There was an N1 that was returned in March with the canting issue and was reported here. There were a few others from Dec and Jan as well. It certainly hasn't been several months with no returns though, its only been a month!! I will say it has certainly gotten better but still, reports of problems are out there if you read the threads on all the forums.

Top Bottom