What's new

Rex Ambassador US Tour pass around...

This morning was my fourth shave with the Rex on setting 2.25. Again, very nice, and as close to BBS as I'm likely to get after only 24 hours. One more shave and I'll work on cleaning and packing it up for @Ray Settanta. I'll do a final evaluation, including my view of the design and geometry of the Rex head and my opinion of why it performs the way it does.
As for the branzino, I should have included a warning: Though one of the best tasting fish, it is also full of bones, including long, nasty sharp ones that are ridged, i.e., with a "Y" cross-section, that you do not want to swallow. So debone it carefully after cooking.

Has @boilerphan dropped out of the pass around?

What’s the consensus of users ? Is it worth the hefty price tag?

Guess I'll be finding out first hand in the couple of weeks! - Can't wait, and Rex will be going up against some stiff competition with my Timeless 95 OC, Karve, Rockwell, and several vintage razors that are my mainstays.
:w00t:

OK, I've had my fifth and final shave with the Rex, Haslinger Honey and Nivea Sensitive, so it's time for my final observations:
The Rex features what to me is basically a DE89 type head design with more blade exposure, steeper blade angles, (much) shorter clamping distance and continuously adjustable blade gap over a fairly wide range. It's a rather aggressive design at the higher settings but reasonably tamed at the lower ones. I think the decreased clamping distance and steeper blade angles are intelligent modifications to the DE89 (and 34C) idea, as most modern blades are thinner and more flexible than they used to be. The result is a smooth, chatter-free shaving experience. I like more aggressive razors to be heavier, and this one is a well-balanced 108 grams. It's stainless steel and build quality is high, both big advantages for an adjustable. I never had any trouble with the adjustment dial near the top of the handle. Blades loaded easily with no alignment issues, and the tabs are covered, as they should be when alignment is unnecessary.
As I prefer a mild shaver, I stayed near the low end of the 1-6 adjustment range, in the narrow range of 2.0-2.5, and I could happily have used an even lower setting. I got great, smooth shaves, but I would have preferred less blade feel. The Rex requires a light touch and care in not shaving over the same spot repeatedly. But if you like some blade feel and something on the heavier side, I don't see much to complain about with the Rex.
I do have a couple minor complaints. Especially at the price of $249, the Rex should come with a leather storage and travel case. Even if you don't tend to drop things on hard tile floors if not lose them altogether as I do, cleaning service people and even loving spouses can and will knock things over, or even off, bathroom countertops. And there was a very slight asymmetry in blade gap and exposure on each side of the razor, in all the blades I loaded in it.
So, that's how I see it, and I have not read any other reviews of the Rex except in the posts in this thread. I will pass it on now to @Ray Settanta, and thank @GlazedBoker for the chance to give it a try.

4/01/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
6. @mozartman (completed - shipped)
7. @Ray Settanta (on deck)
8. @cyberdog (in the hole)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar
2. @Cut Throat
3. @herbert7890
4. @JWK1
5. @amateriat
6. @valthun
7. @WarriorMonk
8. @Wshavesnapper

Reserve List:
1. @ram57
2. @Chef Glenn
3. @SolidSnake03
4. @DCP
5. @cgr86
6. @Parallax
7. @Badger in the Sun
8. @‘Bout Time

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people....... :shaving:

What’s the consensus of users ? Is it worth the hefty price tag?
I never really answered your question. Yes, I think it is worth the hefty price tag, if it is the right type of razor for you. Sure, the Game Changer is CNC-machined marine grade steel and is well-made and much less expensive, but the GC is a 3-piece design and is only adjustable to the extent of two available base plates that in my opinion are very wide apart in blade exposure and overall aggressiveness. This gives you smoothly continuous adjustments, and so I think it is much more likely you will find exactly the right setting for you. That's my 2 cents, anyway.

4/03/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
6. @mozartman (completed - shipped)
7. @Ray Settanta (on deck)
8. @cyberdog (in the hole)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar
2. @Cut Throat
3. @herbert7890
4. @JWK1
5. @amateriat
6. @valthun
7. @WarriorMonk
8. @shaversnapper

Reserve List:
1. @ram57
2. @Chef Glenn
3. @SolidSnake03
4. @DCP
5. @cgr86
6. @Parallax
7. @Badger in the Sun
8. @‘Bout Time
9. @BBS-1

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people....... :shaving:

The Rex arrived this afternoon so the first shave with it will be tomorrow morning. First impression is very favorable. Nice weight and balance and workmanship and quality seem high. The handle is a good length and the knurled surface is grippy without being overly aggressive. The only aspects I didn’t like were that the numbers were very light and the indicator on the dial was hard to see. I decided to check the latest model on the website and it appears that this has been addressed. The numbers are darker and the indicator is now red. I’m looking forward to my first shave in the morning.

The Rex arrived this afternoon so the first shave with it will be tomorrow morning. First impression is very favorable. Nice weight and balance and workmanship and quality seem high. The handle is a good length and the knurled surface is grippy without being overly aggressive. The only aspects I didn’t like were that the numbers were very light and the indicator on the dial was hard to see. I decided to check the latest model on the website and it appears that this has been addressed. The numbers are darker and the indicator is now red. I’m looking forward to my first shave in the morning.

:thumbup1:

Good point about the dial numbers and indicator dot, Ray. I guess I was assuming the paint had worn off of these on this sample (this is how I received it) but more likely Rex / RE has made a change on current ones. Maybe @GlazedBoker can confirm.

Good point about the dial numbers and indicator dot, Ray. I guess I was assuming the paint had worn off of these on this sample (this is how I received it) but more likely Rex / RE has made a change on current ones. Maybe @GlazedBoker can confirm.
Yes. There have been issues with the dot marker and the #'s from previous runs wearing off and not being easily readable. I've actually replaced the red dot with red nail enamel a couple of times. It just wears with all the use it gets especially during a pass around. I have mentioned both these issues with Razor Emporium but, don't know if these issues have been addressed with the newer or more recent production runs.....

Yes. There have been issues with the dot marker and the #'s from previous runs wearing off and not being easily readable. I've actually replaced the red dot with red nail enamel a couple of times. It just wears with all the use it gets especially during a pass around. I have mentioned both these issues with Razor Emporium but, don't know if these issues have been addressed with the newer or more recent production runs.....
Thanks, Gus, I thought that might be the case. With all the soaking, scrubbing and 'sanitizing' this razor is going through on this lengthy pass around, it's getting the equivalent of several years of use in some ways.

Thanks, Gus, I thought that might be the case. With all the soaking, scrubbing and 'sanitizing' this razor is going through on this lengthy pass around, it's getting the equivalent of several years of use in some ways.

Very well put there my friend. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom