What's new

Rex Ambassador US Tour pass around...

A better shave today. Usual prep and the same soap (B&M Lavender Reserve), but changed to a Nacet blade. I've used Nacets before but have had mixed experiences with them. Today's shave was pretty good (and I hate judging a blade on the first use). I tried the setting at 3.5 again to give it a fair shake against the Polsilver. The shave was not quite as close as I remember from last Friday when I used the Polsilver in the same setting. Nevertheless it performed much better than the Kai.

I will probably go back to a Polsilver tomorrow for my final shave. If I have the chance, I may pull out my Gibbs (which needs some adjustment) and shave with it as well.

Bob

3/6/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed-shipped)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed - shipped)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed - shipped)
3. @bobmsp (in hand testing)
4. @dmshaver (on deck)
5. @DCRIII (in the hole)
6. @Mataddor
7. @mozartman
8. @boilerphan

Group four:
1. @Ray Settanta
2. @cyberdog
3. @CzechCzar
4. @Cut Throat
5. @herbert7890
6. @JWK1
7. @amateriat
8. @valthun

Reserve List:
1. @WarriorMonk
2. @shaversnapper
3. @ram57
4. @Chef Glenn
5. @SolidSnake03
6. @DCP
7. @cgr86
8. @Parallax
9. @Badger in the Sun

Another added to the Reserve list, @Badger in the Sun . A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people........ :shaving:

I was able to spend a little time with my Gibbs adjustable last night so that I think it's in proper working condition. I decided that it would be fun to pair the Gibbs with the Rex once before sending the Rex on to @dmshaver.

I hadn't realized it until I put them next to each other, but despite the similar shaving heads the Rex is a hulk compared to the Gibbs.

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1150.JPG

While I usually have a 2-pass shave on weekdays, I decided I'd maximize the comparison by doing three passes - Gibbs on the right side of my face and Rex on the left. I clipped and loaded a Polsilver SI into the Gibbs and set both razors at 3.5 (N +0.5 on the Gibbs).

First pass was N - S. Second from ear to nose. Final pass was S - N. The Rex consistently picked up more of the lather than the Gibbs. I ended up with a wonderful shave, with just a tiny bit more irritation on the Rex side. Still a very smooth and close feel a few hours later. If required to pick a side, I'd have to go with the Gibbs today. But it's probably not a completely fair fight since it's not completely clear to me that I had identical shave settings (other than numerically) for both razors. I don't know what would happen if I was to find the "optimal" setting for each razor.

All in all, the Rex is a fine piece of gear. The craftsmanship is top notch and it performs quite well at different settings. I'm sure that with experimentation, I could tame the variability in shaves that I got.

Bottom line for me: I don't think that I'll be dropping out of the 2019 sabbatical so that I can pick up a Rex. I've got an assortment of razors that delivers equal shaves to those that I had last week.

But I would certainly recommend a look to anyone who is interested in a well constructed efficient adjustable. In my mind, it blows the Gillette adjustables out of the water.

Thanks again to @GlazedBoker for generously lending his razors to me and to others in the pass arounds that he's organized.

Coming in seriously late for this one, and a heck of an intriguing thread this is...

I'll admit that I'm intrigued just enough to think about asking to be put on the reserve list (if that's still possible at this late a date), although I will say I'm still incredibly sweet on my Parker Variant one full year after getting it, especially since I've just now made my seasonal switch from shave soap (Classic Shaving, Rose and Violet, in turns), to creams for the colder, drier air (D.R. Harris Arlington via the amazing Crown King ceramic scuttle...wow, just wow), so my point of curiosity regarding the Rex is not whether it's nearly five times the razor the Variant is (highly doubtful), but where its strengths and weaknesses are vis-a-vis the Variant. I'm just incredibly happy that there are multiple options in terms of brand-new adjustable razors now.

But, yeah, to mangle a Billy Bragg line, it there's room on that list, I wanna be on it. :)
A Billy Bragg quote on Badger and Blade... Love it.

Just got home from a weekend away with my wife. There is a package that arrived while we were gone, I'm sure it's the Rex. Just wanted to report in that I have received it. I'll open it later tonight & do my first shave tomorrow. Hope everyone's had a good weekend!

3/10/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed - shipped)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed - shipped)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (in hand testing)
5. @DCRIII (on deck)
6. @Mataddor (in the hole)
7. @mozartman
8. @boilerphan

Group four:
1. @Ray Settanta
2. @cyberdog
3. @CzechCzar
4. @Cut Throat
5. @herbert7890
6. @JWK1
7. @amateriat
8. @valthun

Reserve List:
1. @WarriorMonk
2. @shaversnapper
3. @ram57
4. @Chef Glenn
5. @SolidSnake03
6. @DCP
7. @cgr86
8. @Parallax
9. @Badger in the Sun

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people.......:shaving:

Quick review of my first shave today with the Rex.

Day 1 Shave
Rex Ambassador (pass 1 @ 2.5, pass 2 @ 3, pass 3 @ 3.5)
Nacet
CBL Barbershop
Rooney 22mm Silvertip
TSD Bourbon & Vanilla AS

Unpacking the Rex, initial impression is a nice looking, well-packaged razor. Holding it I found it well balanced. Loaded a new Nacet in the Rex, & lathered up my favorite soap maker, CBL Premium Soap - Barbershop.

I did my first pass at setting 2.5, not knowing what I was getting myself into. I would rather start too mild than too efficient & shave off half my face with a new razor. The razor feels great in my hand, I like some weight to a razor & the Rex fits into that category very nicely. Good knurling on the handle kept me in control of the razor at all times, no chance of slipping. It's pretty easy to find the correct angle with this razor. At 2.5 the razor was quite efficient & I was pleased at the reduction after just one pass. There was a nice blade feel to the shave, but it was a mild shave, in spite of the high efficiency of the shave.

Pass 2 the setting was increased to 3. I like to increase the setting on an adjustable with each pass. Still more blade feel, but with correct technique & angle, I felt in no danger of cutting myself. A nice smooth 2nd pass. Time to go up to 3.5 for the 3rd pass.

Pass 3 at 3.5 was still pleasant but there was a bit more blade feel. After my third pass & rinsed & did a little touch up around the jawline & adams apple, typical problem areas for me. No nicks or weepers, & no feedback from the alum. I think tomorrow I'll start at 3.5. I'm 6 hours since my shave & my face feels great, & still completely smooth. This has given me a wonderful first shave. I'm anxious to give this razor a few more spins. Impressive first outing!

Thanks @GlazedBoker!

I've been sick the past couple of days, so I'm just getting my second shave in this evening. So this writeup is with 2 days growth.

Shave #2
Rex
Nacet - 2nd use
Elite Razors 24mm Manchurian White
CBL Soap Dragon's Blood
Lucky Old Man AS splash

Pass 1 - 3.5; Pass 2 - 4; Pass 3 - 4.5

I ended my day 1 shave on 3.5 setting, still getting a fair amount of blade fee. I started today on 3.5, & it was smooth reducing my growth, but still had a good amount of blade feel. That's not a bad thing if you like blade feel, but I prefer less blade feel. So as I'm getting a smooth first pass with this nice, well-balanced razor, I'm wondering if I will get less blade feel when I dial it up. And that's what happened. After my first pass I set it on 4 & now that is less blade feel! I also am paying attention to angle & using good technique. I assume a setting of 4 can bite if I'm not paying attention. Nice feel as the blade glides over my cheeks & along my jawline. I'm enjoying this razor as I get to know it. I would really like it if these pass arounds were for a couple of weeks instead of a few days! But this pass around would be taking us into 2021! After 2 passes I have a good shave, but hey, I'm a 3 pass guy so 3 passes it is. I dial it up to 4.5 & away we go! Now at 4.5 this razor is beginning to find itself. Smooth, very little blade feel & I love the feel of being in control of this nice instrument. I could see 4.5 as a daily setting, but what do I know? I haven't taken it to 5 & above. That comes tomorrow!!! After my 3rd pass, a little buffing here & there, then cold water rinse. Alum leaves no stinging, just the confirmation of a good shave. Witch hazel then some AS splash. The end of a good shave.

Impressions after 2 shaves: I like the Rex. After this pass around I'll be curious to try my Slim & Fatboy on higher settings. It's been a while since I've taken either of them for a shave, so it's time to break them back out. I will be surprised if either shaves as efficiently & smoothly as the Rex, but I won't know until I try.

Thank you for letting me ramble. Until next time!

I've been sick the past couple of days, so I'm just getting my second shave in this evening. So this writeup is with 2 days growth.

Shave #2
Rex
Nacet - 2nd use
CBL Soap Dragon's Blood
Lucky Old Man AS splash

I ended my day 1 shave on 3.5 setting, still getting a fair amount of blade fee. I started today on 3.5, & it was smooth reducing my growth, but still had a good amount of blade feel. That's not a bad thing if you like blade feel, but I prefer less blade feel. So as I'm getting a smooth first pass with this nice, well-balanced razor, I'm wondering if I will get less blade feel when I dial it up. And that's what happened. After my first pass I set it on 4 & now that is less blade feel! I also am paying attention to angle & using good technique. I assume a setting of 4 can bite if I'm not paying attention. Nice feel as the blade glides over my cheeks & along my jawline. I'm enjoying this razor as I get to know it. I would really like it if these pass arounds were for a couple of weeks instead of a few days! But this pass around would be taking us into 2021! After 2 passes I have a good shave, but hey, I'm a 3 pass guy so 3 passes it is. I dial it up to 4.5 & away we go! Now at 4.5 this razor is beginning to find itself. Smooth, very little blade feel & I love the feel of being in control of this nice instrument. I could see 4.5 as a daily setting, but what do I know? I haven't taken it to 5 & above. That comes tomorrow!!! After my 3rd pass, a little buffing here & there, then cold water rinse. Alum leaves no stinging, just the confirmation of a good shave. Witch hazel then some AS splash. The end of a good shave.

Impressions after 2 shaves: I like the Rex. After this pass around I'll be curious to try my Slim & Fatboy on higher settings. It's been a while since I've taken either of them for a shave, so it's time to break them back out. I will be surprised if either shaves as efficiently & smoothly as the Rex, but I won't know until I try.

Glad you're feeling better. I'll be interested in seeing what you say about the upper levels. I went to 5 but didn't go into Ludicrous Mode.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I hadn't realized it until I put them next to each other, but despite the similar shaving heads the Rex is a hulk compared to the Gibbs.

I'm thinking about a stainless razor, and I'm sure this is well built. In fact I think they all are, but what I find off putting is they seem less refined and more machine "shoppy". They seem like razors for the crowd that likes 4x4 trucks with the rivet look fenders and wheels. (When I say they, I mean the REX and many other stainless razors produced by small shops / artisans.)

The size and weight of some of them is over the top for me. I may get a a Feather, but even that is a bit heavier than I prefer. I find my Merkur 42c the perfect size and weight for me.

I'm thinking about a stainless razor, and I'm sure this is well built. In fact I think they all are, but what I find off putting is they seem less refined and more machine "shoppy". They seem like razors for the crowd that likes 4x4 trucks with the rivet look fenders and wheels. (When I say they, I mean the REX and many other stainless razors produced by small shops / artisans.)

The size and weight of some of them is over the top for me. I may get a a Feather, but even that is a bit heavier than I prefer. I find my Merkur 42c the perfect size and weight for me.
Which razors have you tried?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Which razors have you tried?
Hi Clay, No stainless to date.

I do really like the Feather AS-D2. I have a Feather Popular, a Merkur 42c closed bar. I had a Muhle Rocca and Parker 99R. The 99r was too heavy and too aggressive. The Muhle was a bit aggressive, but I just didn't get on with it. At the moment I'm trying out the Supply Razor (Injector type SE).

The Merkur is just about a perfect shave for me and fits the size and weight I prefer. The Feather Popular is a bit mild. I've heard the AS-D2 is the same or maybe a little more mild or little more aggressive.

My comments are to the aesthetics and size/weight, but not build quality. It just seems to me many of the machined razors could use a bit more refinement. Some have beautiful finishes but I'm talking about the chunkiness, squared off edges/angles. A little more sleekness and gentler curves would go a ways to satisfy my particular tastes. That said, somebody is buying them as is. What I want is going to take more design time or manufacturing time so would likely drive the price up a bit.

Shave #2
Rex
Nacet - 2nd use
CBL Soap Dragon's Blood
Lucky Old Man AS splash

Good write up considering you’re feeling under the weather there amigo. Thanks for taking one for the team brother....:punk:

Hi Clay, No stainless to date.

I do really like the Feather AS-D2. I have a Feather Popular, a Merkur 42c closed bar. I had a Muhle Rocca and Parker 99R. The 99r was too heavy and too aggressive. The Muhle was a bit aggressive, but I just didn't get on with it. At the moment I'm trying out the Supply Razor (Injector type SE).

The Merkur is just about a perfect shave for me and fits the size and weight I prefer. The Feather Popular is a bit mild. I've heard the AS-D2 is the same or maybe a little more mild or little more aggressive.

My comments are to the aesthetics and size/weight, but not build quality. It just seems to me many of the machined razors could use a bit more refinement. Some have beautiful finishes but I'm talking about the chunkiness, squared off edges/angles. A little more sleekness and gentler curves would go a ways to satisfy my particular tastes. That said, somebody is buying them as is. What I want is going to take more design time or manufacturing time so would likely drive the price up a bit.

I understood you were talking aesthetics and size/weights. I was just curious what size/weights you had tried. The head is fairly small on the REX. I liked the fact they didn't use a TTO to reduce the head size. Unfortunately, seems a lot of people equate heft for quality, so most higher end razors are made heavy. I didn't find it too heavy, even though my main razor is a Gem 1912 (56.6g with blade). A lighter/smaller handle would be nice, but I don't see it in the near future.

Before I begin my writeup, I would like to offer some advice: don't get sick! This has been a tough past week - weekend, but I'm finally over the crud. I hope none of you get this. I finished my Rex trial with a shave with about 3 - 4 days growth.

Shave #3
Rex Ambassador
Nacet - 3rd day of use
CBL Outlaw
Shavemac D01 22mm Silvertip
Lucky Old Man AS splash

I continued to go up the dial from my previous shaves to see if I can find the smooth, sweet spot of this razor. My first pass today I set the razor on 5. It shaves close & barely any blade feel. It's getting to where I like the feel of the razor in terms of blade feel. For me, the less blade feel, the better. Second pass is on 5.5 & this is great! I thought I liked 5, but 5.5 is a tad better for me. The razor glides & just lets me control it where it goes with barely any feedback. I'm enjoying this second pass. I have to be very aware of my angle. I sense this razor doesn't have much latitude in blade angle between shaving vs. cutting. Third pass I dial it to the max, 6. This is too close for me. I'm very aware of the sharp Nacet blade in the razor & that I'm just a few degrees away from slicing myself. 6 is too close but I finish the shave & do some buffing & touch up, still on 6. Alum really sings on my neck.

Overall, The Rex is a superb tool that shaves very efficiently. I felt the angle of attack on the Rex to be rather narrow & limited me to not being able to experiment with shallow vs. steep angles. There is a lot of blade feel in the lower settings, but once I got to 5 it smoothed out. But 5 is a pretty aggressive setting, & at 5.5 when the razor sailed easily along for me, it became more aggressive. To get a really good shave for me, I needed to have it at 5 or 5.5, but I then found myself not enjoying the shave as much as I was paying attention to keeping the proper angle. This may show my inexperience, or that the Rex isn't suited for me, but it is what I found nonetheless. I can't deny that I got very good shaves with the Rex, but it wasn't the relaxing time I also savor when I shave. I can see why some might find this razor to be their grail razor. It is excellent, but it is not for me. I've enjoyed using the razor because I've found a razor that is outstanding, yet one that I would not want to purchase. So for that, I say thank you! That's part of what makes the pass around so nice. We get to try a razor before we buy.

I'm sorry I kept the razor a few days longer than expected. I've cleaned it, & I'll be sending it on to @DCRIII today.

Thank you @GlazedBoker for the opportunity to try your razor. You are a gentleman & friend of the forum!:clap::clap::clap:

Before I begin my writeup, I would like to offer some advice: don't get sick! This has been a tough past week - weekend, but I'm finally over the crud. I hope none of you get this. I finished my Rex trial with a shave with about 3 - 4 days growth.

Shave #3
Rex Ambassador
Nacet - 3rd day of use
CBL Outlaw
Shavemac D01 22mm Silvertip
Lucky Old Man AS splash

I continued to go up the dial from my previous shaves to see if I can find the smooth, sweet spot of this razor. My first pass today I set the razor on 5. It shaves close & barely any blade feel. It's getting to where I like the feel of the razor in terms of blade feel. For me, the less blade feel, the better. Second pass is on 5.5 & this is great! I thought I liked 5, but 5.5 is a tad better for me. The razor glides & just lets me control it where it goes with barely any feedback. I'm enjoying this second pass. I have to be very aware of my angle. I sense this razor doesn't have much latitude in blade angle between shaving vs. cutting. Third pass I dial it to the max, 6. This is too close for me. I'm very aware of the sharp Nacet blade in the razor & that I'm just a few degrees away from slicing myself. 6 is too close but I finish the shave & do some buffing & touch up, still on 6. Alum really sings on my neck.

Overall, The Rex is a superb tool that shaves very efficiently. I felt the angle of attack on the Rex to be rather narrow & limited me to not being able to experiment with shallow vs. steep angles. There is a lot of blade feel in the lower settings, but once I got to 5 it smoothed out. But 5 is a pretty aggressive setting, & at 5.5 when the razor sailed easily along for me, it became more aggressive. To get a really good shave for me, I needed to have it at 5 or 5.5, but I then found myself not enjoying the shave as much as I was paying attention to keeping the proper angle. This may show my inexperience, or that the Rex isn't suited for me, but it is what I found nonetheless. I can't deny that I got very good shaves with the Rex, but it wasn't the relaxing time I also savor when I shave. I can see why some might find this razor to be their grail razor. It is excellent, but it is not for me. I've enjoyed using the razor because I've found a razor that is outstanding, yet one that I would not want to purchase. So for that, I say thank you! That's part of what makes the pass around so nice. We get to try a razor before we buy.

I'm sorry I kept the razor a few days longer than expected. I've cleaned it, & I'll be sending it on to @DCRIII today.

Thank you @GlazedBoker for the opportunity to try your razor. You are a gentleman & friend of the forum!:clap::clap::clap:
I look forward to testing this beautiful looking razor out! Oddly enough it seems like yesterday when I signed up to participate in this pass around.

Top Bottom