1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed - shipped)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed - shipped)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed - shipped)
5. @DCRIII (en route too)
6. @Mataddor (on deck)
7. @mozartman (in the hole)
8. @boilerphan

Group four:
1. @Ray Settanta
2. @cyberdog
3. @CzechCzar
4. @Cut Throat
5. @herbert7890
6. @JWK1
7. @amateriat
8. @valthun

Reserve List:
1. @WarriorMonk
2. @shaversnapper
3. @ram57
4. @Chef Glenn
5. @SolidSnake03
6. @DCP
7. @cgr86
8. @Parallax
9. @Badger in the Sun
10. @‘Bout Time

Another added to the Reserve List, @‘Bout Time as per his request........

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people.......:shaving:

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have the Rex in possession, I've shaved with it, and will provide more details in a bit.

20190320_160522.jpg

First thing first, the Rex has moved to the top of my wish list!
It's a beautiful piece of machinery. Has a nice weight, easy to grip, and very pleasing to the eye. The mechanics are also very smooth and easy to adjust, but stay on the chosen setting.
Also worth mentioning is all of the soap samples and blades that accompanied the Rex in the package shipped to me .

So, for the first shave I chose setting 3 to mow down 34 hours of growth. Despite the samples that arrived with the Rex, I decided to go with known components to complete this shave.
I loaded a Tweet Platinum blade into the razor and chose MERshaving Donkey milk shaving soap.
I followed the shave up with Stetson Cooling Moisture aftershave.
The Rex effortlessly removed stumble and I received no irritation at all. After 4 passes, 2 more than I'm sure were neccessary due to force of habit, I got an amazing BBS.

Since November I've been primarily shaving with a Gillette Toggle and absolutely love it. The Rex definitely threatens the Toggles position on the thrown. Future shaves will certainly determine this.

20190321_193613.jpg

Shave number two:

28 hours of beard growth
Rex set on 6 loaded with the same Treet as shave one.
The soap this time is Maxwell made by Stache Soap Works.
Aftershave this time around is Emerald Spice, my Badger Blends contribution.

I decide to go full throttle on a little over a days worth of stubble. The Rex definitely did the job, though my choice of soap this time around was not the best match but it did give me an idea as to what to expect with a less than ideally slick soap and it's most aggressive setting. The soap wanted to dry out faster than I could shave. I probably needed to add more water to it. Thankfully I didn't end with any any irritation.

All in all I still had a BBS. And I have to say that I love how the top cap on the Rex covers the end tabs of the blade. I don't have to worry about slicing the side of my nose open.

20190322_085430.jpg

Shave number three:

14 hours of beard growth.
Rex set on 1, 2, and 3 still loaded the same Treet blade.
The soap is Himalaya made by Tallow & Steel, one of the samples that arrived with the Rex.
To compliment the soap, I chose English Leather for the aftershave.

I needed to look presentable for a meeting today, so a early morning shave instead of an evening shave was warranted.

I decided to start with the lowest setting of 1 since the stubble wasn't very long but nothing noticeable happened other than the removal of lather. So I upped the setting to 2, reapplied lather, and tried again. Not much difference, so the third time is the charm, I went with setting 3 started to get audible feedback that stubble was being removed.
I did switch up the angle in which I head the razor to my face on settings 1 and 2, but it never took bite.

I'm still pleased with the performance of the Rex, but so far it doesn't look like it will overthrow my Toggle that seems to perform perfectly regardless of the setting it is on.

Tomorrow, with at least 24 hours of beard growth, I shall try setting 1 and 2 again.

3/25/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed - shipped)
6. @mozartman (en route too)
7. @boilerphan (on deck)
8. @Ray Settanta (in the hole)

Group four:
1. @cyberdog
2. @CzechCzar
3. @Cut Throat
4. @herbert7890
5. @JWK1
6. @amateriat
7. @valthun
8. @WarriorMonk

Reserve List:
1. @shaversnapper
2. @ram57
3. @Chef Glenn
4. @SolidSnake03
5. @DCP
6. @cgr86
7. @Parallax
8. @Badger in the Sun
9. @‘Bout Time

Everyone got to move up a spot as @Mataddor has acquired a REX and will not need to participate in the pass around. Hang in there Gents. The REX will make the rounds unless, of course you get one in your hands before it’s your turn. Great shaves to all......

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people....... :shaving:

20190324_092625.jpg

Shave number four:

48 hours of beard growth.
Rex first set on 1, then 5, ending on 3 loaded with the same Treet blade.
Soap - Chiseledface Ghost Town Barber sample
Aftershave - Gillette Cool Wave

Set on 1, the Rex still had no effect on my stubble, so I decided to go with 5.
The Rex plowed down my stubble quite well on the first pass on 5, but I had to set it on 3 on the ATG pass. 5 was just to aggressive for me since the Chiseledface soap didn't provide me with adequate slickness. All in all I got DFS with no irritation, so it was a good shave.
At this point I've come to realize that set 3 is the most agreeable set for me.

20190325_094856.jpg

Shave number five:

24 hours of beard growth.
Rex set on 3 still loaded with the same Treet blade.
Soap - Pre de Providence 63
Aftershave - Humphreys Organic Rose Whitch Hazel.

Sticking to setting 3 was definitely the way to go. I got an effortless BBS.

A good pointer to keep in mind is that regardless of your soap of choice, keep your face wet and slick. Otherwise, the Rex tends to stick to your face.

The Rex is a well built machine that will almost certainly be around shaving faces long after I'm gone.

Thank you very much Gus @GlazedBoker for this wonderful opportunity to test out the Rex. Had it not been for this passaround, I probably never would have had a chance to use the Rex.

The Rex is well on its way to @mozartman . I included more blades and some soap samples to keep things interesting for those who may or may not have used them before.

View attachment 966597
Shave number four:

The Rex plowed down my stubble quite well on the first pass on 5, but I had to set it on 3 on the ATG pass. 5 was just to aggressive for me since the Chiseledface soap didn't provide me with adequate slickness. All in all I got DFS with no irritation, so it was a good shave.

View attachment 966598

Shave number five:

A good pointer to keep in mind is that regardless of your soap of choice, keep your face wet and slick. Otherwise, the Rex tends to stick to your face.

The Rex is a well built machine that will almost certainly be around shaving faces long after I'm gone.

Thank you very much Gus @GlazedBoker for this wonderful opportunity to test out the Rex. Had it not been for this passaround, I probably never would have had a chance to use the Rex.

The Rex is well on its way to @mozartman . I included more blades and some soap samples to keep things interesting for those who may or may not have used them before.

Great review and summation, as always my friend.... :punk:

View attachment 966597
Shave number four:

View attachment 966598

Shave number five:

Thanks much. If it arrives in time, my first shave with it will be tomorrow night. You set a high standard not just for reviews but for photos as well. I'll try to make my modest contribution in those departments over the weekend.

Earlier today, a box arrived from @DCRIII containing the Rex Ambassador as well as a whole lot of blades and soap samples. Thanks, Dave! I won't be using any of those blades or soaps this week, though. I'll stick with what I've been using recently, Haslinger or Proraso white soap, Nivea Sensitive, Nivea Sensitive Cooling or Proraso white aftershave balm, and one of my standard blades, an Astra SP. An hour ago I loaded a fresh Astra SP into the Rex and shaved at setting 2.5. I'll likely be using that blade all week.
As everyone here has noted, build quality and precision are excellent. The blade loads and aligns perfectly with no wiggling needed. It's a moderately heavy 108 grams according to my scale, 10 grams lighter than my Rockwell 6S, and very well balanced.
With an unfamiliar razor and fresh blade, I tend to shave very gingerly, and did here. Looking at the blade angle and gap at 2.5, I thought it should be a moderately mild shave, and it was. The main reason I'm participating here is to check out the continuous adjusting capability of the Rex, and even though one week probably isn't enough time to figure out what setting would work best for me, 2.5 was very nice. In three not very exacting passes my 36-hour stubble (still not much in my case, I admit) was reduced to BBS smoothness everywhere except for a couple of extra sensitive spots such as my adam's apple where I hardly shaved at all (and there very nearly so) with no bleeding or irritation.
At 2.5, it was very smooth, very efficient, with very precise blade positioning and no chatter. Basically, it's very good. There was a bit more blade feel than I would like, but only a bit. Shaving under my nose and everywhere else was no trouble at all.
All in all, very solid. I'll try some higher and lower settings before passing it on.

Earlier today, a box arrived from @DCRIII containing the Rex Ambassador as well as a whole lot of blades and soap samples. Thanks, Dave! I won't be using any of those blades or soaps this week, though. I'll stick with what I've been using recently, Haslinger or Proraso white soap, Nivea Sensitive, Nivea Sensitive Cooling or Proraso white aftershave balm, and one of my standard blades, an Astra SP. An hour ago I loaded a fresh Astra SP into the Rex and shaved at setting 2.5. I'll likely be using that blade all week.
As everyone here has noted, build quality and precision are excellent. The blade loads and aligns perfectly with no wiggling needed. It's a moderately heavy 108 grams according to my scale, 10 grams lighter than my Rockwell 6S, and very well balanced.
With an unfamiliar razor and fresh blade, I tend to shave very gingerly, and did here. Looking at the blade angle and gap at 2.5, I thought it should be a moderately mild shave, and it was. The main reason I'm participating here is to check out the continuous adjusting capability of the Rex, and even though one week probably isn't enough time to figure out what setting would work best for me, 2.5 was very nice. In three not very exacting passes my 36-hour stubble (still not much in my case, I admit) was reduced to BBS smoothness everywhere except for a couple of extra sensitive spots such as my adam's apple where I hardly shaved at all (and there very nearly so) with no bleeding or irritation.
At 2.5, it was very smooth, very efficient, with very precise blade positioning and no chatter. Basically, it's very good. There was a bit more blade feel than I would like, but only a bit. Shaving under my nose and everywhere else was no trouble at all.
All in all, very solid. I'll try some higher and lower settings before passing it on.

Very well done. Nice initial assessment there my friend. Happy shaves....

Day 2, or rather night 2, with the Rex. I don't have much stubble after 24 hours, but I want 6 shaves in my 7 days with it, and I'm taking tomorrow off from shaving, so here we go. BTW, last night I used my RazoRock Bruce synthetic brush, Haslinger Marigold soap and Nivea Sensitive aftershave balm. Tonight it was my Semogue 1305 boar brush, which would be my favorite if it didn't take so long to dry out, and Proraso white soap and aftershave balm. I stepped up the setting to 3.0.
To my surprise, the extra 0.5 made a big difference. Still a great shave, but too much blade for me. Kind of like the 6S with plate 7 (and the 6S only goes up to plate 6). i did just as well with 2.5 last night, and on Saturday I might go down to 2.0.
I already have some general comments about the Rex, but I'll save 'em for my final day. At this point, I need to post a photo. I gave this some thought and decided I could not compete with you pro razor photographers. So here is what I made for dinner tonight. It's a branzino, or Mediterranean sea bass, that I grilled outside. It's a popular delicacy in Greece if you're lucky enough to be traveling there, and in good Greek restaurants if you're not.
20190328_172635.jpg

Day 2, or rather night 2, with the Rex. I don't have much stubble after 24 hours, but I want 6 shaves in my 7 days with it, and I'm taking tomorrow off from shaving, so here we go. BTW, last night I used my RazoRock Bruce synthetic brush, Haslinger Marigold soap and Nivea Sensitive aftershave balm. Tonight it was my Semogue 1305 boar brush, which would be my favorite if it didn't take so long to dry out, and Proraso white soap and aftershave balm. I stepped up the setting to 3.0.
To my surprise, the extra 0.5 made a big difference. Still a great shave, but too much blade for me. Kind of like the 6S with plate 7 (and the 6S only goes up to plate 6). i did just as well with 2.5 last night, and on Saturday I might go down to 2.0.
I already have some general comments about the Rex, but I'll save 'em for my final day. At this point, I need to post a photo. I gave this some thought and decided I could not compete with you pro razor photographers. So here is what I made for dinner tonight. It's a branzino, or Mediterranean sea bass, that I grilled outside. It's a popular delicacy in Greece if you're lucky enough to be traveling there, and in good Greek restaurants if you're not.
View attachment 967433
you're shaving post succeeded in making me hungry

My third shave with the Rex, with 36 hours of stubble. Set to 2.0, using Haslinger Marigold and Nivea Sensitive, another great BBS shave. I don't think I'd need more than between 2.0 and 2.5 with the Rex unless I had at least 72 hours of stubble. I should have mentioned earlier, I have always had a relatively thin and fine beard, but especially now that it is mostly gray, I still need to shave every 24 or 36 hours to avoid looking like a bum on a park bench or a drunkard after an all-night bender. So I would probably use an adjustable on a lower setting than many of you.

This morning was my fourth shave with the Rex on setting 2.25. Again, very nice, and as close to BBS as I'm likely to get after only 24 hours. One more shave and I'll work on cleaning and packing it up for @Ray Settanta. I'll do a final evaluation, including my view of the design and geometry of the Rex head and my opinion of why it performs the way it does.
As for the branzino, I should have included a warning: Though one of the best tasting fish, it is also full of bones, including long, nasty sharp ones that are ridged, i.e., with a "Y" cross-section, that you do not want to swallow. So debone it carefully after cooking.

Top Bottom