What's new

Rex Ambassador US Tour pass around...

Just had my first shave with the Rex this morning, and while I'm going to give it a couple days before make a full report, I had some interesting observations from the first shave.

I chose a fresh GSB for the first shave, so I could better compare it to my Timeless, which had a new GSB installed into it over the weekend for Monday. For the maiden voyage, I set the Rex on 4, checked the alignment which seemed pretty strait and level to my eye, equal exposure on both sides, and proceeded to lather up with Tabac soap, immediately following my morning shower, which included a small amount of hair conditioner applied to my face to better soften those gray whiskers.

The knurling on the Rex is VERY 'grippy', more so than any other razor I've used, including the PAA which was the previous grip champ of those razors I've used. I don't care how much soap is on your hand, there is no way this razor can possibly slip out of your hand. This baby seems as solid as my Timeless in the hand, and has a nice feel in the hand, better than my Fat-Boy, which is a similar size. For the sake of a fair comparison, I decided to make the first shave a traditional two pass shave, top to bottom (WTG), followed by side to center (XTG), and finally bottom to top (ATG).

First observation is there's actually more blade feel than expected, at least with a new GSB. It's not harsh, and quite smooth, but definitely more blade feel than I would have expected. At a setting of 4, the Rex looks pretty darn tame, not a wide gap, like you'd get on a MingShi/Futur, Karve, or my .95 Timeless, but there's a good amount of blade smooth blade feel....I was sort of expecting 'Tech' or Rockwell R3/R4 blade feel, so there was some initial surprise. Fairly quiet razor, there's feedback, but it's both low pitched and low in volume, compared to some others. Good amount of growth removed by the first pass, so even at 4, pretty efficient.

I re-lathered and proceeded to the 2nd pass. Bit less blade feel on the 2nd pass, as the first pass removed quite a bit, even going WTG. Fairly easy to tell where the growth is, as you can sort of feel it, as it removes the high-spots. Sides of Chin and neck feel pretty darn smooth, and maybe even mostly BBS after the overlapping swipes. Still very smooth, with that underlying blade feel, or I'm calling it blade feel for the time being. I did notice going a bit shallower reduces that 'blade feel', so tomorrow I need to pay more attention to the angle and see if in fact it was blade feel or the edge of the guard contacting the skin. Seems to have a fairly wide working range from a bit steeper to a bit shallower angle.

Well, mostly BBS or not, I re-lathered for a 3rd pass, going South to North (ATG). In many areas there wasn't really anything left to remove, or very little. Just some of the 'trouble' spots, which are harder to get totally smooth. The area just under my chin, which is a difficult spot to get glass smooth, is surprisingly already smooth at this point. Very easy to get under the nose, it's a narrow head, and performing the 'fools pass' is pretty easy, no blood or weepers evident. (Under the nose is probably the most problematic area for me, as this might be the most sensitive area of my face to shave). I'm easily BBS, but did miss the folds/creases from the corner of mouth, so I took an additional swipe or two to finish knocking them down. (I'll take the hit today, as I may not have puffed my cheeks during the ATG pass on those areas, having been still half a sleep and somewhat on auto-pilot).

My take away so far is that while there might be a bit more blade feel than expected, it felt ultimately 'safe' set on 4, and plenty efficient, yet gentle feeling enough, for a daily shaver. I'd say that like the Rockwell, you'd need to do something dumb or get a little carefree/careless to cut yourself with the Rex. (Probably just jinxed myself, and I'll end up slicing my face open tomorrow, but odds say no, it feels that safe). I also want to try another blade or two, just to see if the feel changes, perhaps a Nacet or Rapira Platinum Lux, which I find sharper than a GSB. I also want another couple of shaves to confirm that 'blade' feel, to make sure it wasn't a side affect of being a bit steeper than perhaps is ideal for the Rex on the initial pass. - Might even try the ATG first method tomorrow, which I do quite often with my Timeless, or just crank it up to 5/6 to see how she feels.

Update on yesterday's shave. While it felt BBS at the end of the shave, that smooth BBS feeling didn't last as long as when I've used my Timeless, Rockwell with plate R6, or even my Fat-Boy/Slim on 9. Thought it was my imagination, until my wife noticed the difference this morning. She's commented that I wasn't as smooth as normal this morning before shaving. I now know it was time to crank it up, after all, I did only use setting 4 yesterday.

Well, for my 2nd shave with the REX, I swapped in a new Nacet blade, which I feel is sharper. It was Soap Command Endurance today, which isn't going to affect the shave vs yesterday's Tabac. Absolutely a better blade in the Rex than the GSB, it's smoother and has a less pronounced blade feel than the GSB used yesterday. I also cracked the bugger up to 6, and there was still less blade feel than during yesterday's shave. - Today, she felt as smooth as my Timeless, even turned up to 6, and seemed to have even better efficiency. I'll know for sure by morning, but so far, my face seems smoother feeling than yesterday by this time.

I also shook things up even more and did a two pass shave with touch-up, duplicating my typical weekday shave with the Timeless or Slim/Fat-Boy. That consists of Ear towards Chin on the neck, and jaw line upwards on the face, or basically full ATG pass from the get go for my growth pattern. - Notable exception is under the nose, where I had to angle the swipe, and then followed by a downward, as I couldn't just do ATG on 6, it wasn't in the cards without irritation and/or blood/weepers, as I could tell as I approached the mustache area with the Rex. Result was a very nice clean feeling pass, good smoothness, and I believe comparable to my Timeless 95 OC at this point. I did manage a tiny nick trying to get slightly into the nose opening with the corner of the razor. Note to others, while the tabs are fully covered, you can still poke yourself with the corner of the blade if you aren't careful, as the guard doesn't sit out much in front of those corners, and have clipped corners.

Second pass was cross the grain ear to nose on the face and upwards on the neck. Other than a little touch-up here and there, I fell really smooth, again, comparable to what I'd get with the Timeless. For those couple of spots needing some touch up, I went WTG just to get any stragglers that may have been due to the growth being the opposite direction.

Finished with some Old-Spice scented AS, a little Soap Commander Endurance Balm (ah the menthol), and out the door. Other than that nick in the nostril area, just two of the tiniest pin dots of blood, which stopped with a cold water rinse, and wouldn't have known if I hadn't noticed them in the mirror, great shave. My face to my hand, feels ultimately closer than yesterday, as I purposely waited to see how much or little growth could be felt after 6 hours before posting. So far this is a positive experience, want to see how the face feels after several consecutive days.

4/18/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
6. @mozartman (completed)
7. @Ray Settanta (completed)
8. @cyberdog (in hand testing)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (on deck)
2. @Cut Throat (in the hole)
3. @herbert7890
4. @JWK1
5. @amateriat
6. @valthun
7. @WarriorMonk
8. @shaversnapper

Reserve List:
1. @ram57
2. @Chef Glenn
3. @SolidSnake03
4. @DCP
5. @cgr86
6. @Parallax
7. @Badger in the Sun
8. @‘Bout Time
9. @BBS-1
10. @Magboy Creations
11. @vadim
12. @jldallas
13. @johnwick

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people....... :shaving:

It's with a smooth face, that I finished my time with Rex, with it now heading to CzechCzar, who should have it in 2-3 days. (It needs to traverse from NJ to CA).

Haven't posted the last couple of days, but have given it a good run through and even a couple of comparison shaves, against a couple of my stalwart razors. If you've read prior posts, the Rex is somewhat blade sensitive, and I found for me, a Nacet was a perfect match, much better than a GSB or Astra blade, with the latter two feeling more harsh with a scraping feeling than a smooth cutting feeling.

Something to keep in mind as the Rex reaches those following me, it works better (smoother feeling) at a bit shallower angle than some other razors, which places the handle a bit farther from your face than you'd expect....sort of ride the cap just a bit, like you would with some of the Gillette razors. You'll also get a more efficient shave doing so, as I could get a nice BBS shave in three passes set at around 3, although I did have it shift up to 3.5 and near 4 a couple of times. - Same thing happens with my QShave from time to time.

I was curios to see how it felt against a couple of my other razors, and did manage a couple of shave-offs between them the past couple of days. If you've ever shaved with a Fat-Boy, the Rex on 3-3.5 shaves VERY similar to the Fat-Boy on 6 in closeness of shave or efficiency, but with a bit more blade feel or perhaps a tiny bit less smooth feeling. This was with both razors loaded with a Nacet on it's 2nd shave. Crank the Rex wide open and it is ultimately a little more efficient than the Fat-Boy on 9, however, the Rex is also quite a bit less smooth/comfortable than the Fat-Boy cranked open. Even at 3-3.5, there's quite a bit more blade going ATG on the mustache area. Not to say the Rex is harsh, as I can think of several razors which I found much harsher feeling, the Timeless Bronze OC and Pearl OC some to mind immediately. Unless you're forgoing a 3-pass shave, there isn't really a need to crank it wide open, provided you have a sharp blade. (While the GSB didn't yield a lasting BBS shave on 3-3.5, the Nacet has no trouble doing so for me).

This morning, right before cleaning, sanitizing, and passing the Rex along to CzechCzar, I did a Rex vs my Timeless 95 OC, which for me is probably the most efficient razor I own. I set the Rex on 5, still with that Nacet blade, as well as moving the Nacet from the Fat-Boy into my Timeless. (Both having the same shave count on them). The Rex hung in there with the Timeless, and after the first pass, both sides of my face felt pretty similar with the same amount of growth removed. Both gave a very good first pass, with a slight edge in smoothness going to the Timeless.

I re-lathered and performed a 2nd pass, XTG, ear to nose on the face and strait up on the neck. Again, both sides seem fairly similar afterwards, although the Timeless side looks a bit shinier in the mirror. The Timeless again also felt just a bit smoother in making this pass, but it wasn't a huge difference, and the Rex wasn't harsh per se, just more blade feel than the Timeless.

Now to lather again for the money pass, ATG, jaw line up on the face, and angled on the neck. On the cheeks and neck, both razors performed well, with the Timeless feeling a bit smoother, until I got to the upper lip, the dreaded mustache area, also known as the most sensitive part of my face to shave. I simply could not go strait ATG, lip to nose with the Rex on 5, I tired during my earlier shaves and caused a couple of nicks, and I could tell it was going to happen again as I tried to shift from an angled swipe to directly upwards. Rather than risk another nasty nick, as I received on Friday, I used the Timeless to go ATG on the mustache area on the Rex side, just with a slightly steeper angle without any problem.

So my final observation or take on the Rex, is it's a beautiful razor, love the knurling and grip in my hand, and it is capable of yielding a very close shave. That said, there's something in the geometry or head design that above around 3-3.5, I cannot go ATG in the mustache area. Of course, we're talking about an adjustable razor, so just turn the bugger down for that sensitive area, and we're all good....perhaps not quite as close a shave, but certainly close enough, and it's only the ATG on that area where that rough/scraping feeling rears its head, and I tired super steep, shallow, which didn't feel as harsh, but also left weepers and a nick in it's wake. Overall I like the Rex, and would absolutely keep it down to around 3-3.5 as a daily shaver, it definitely gets noticeably less comfortable and smooth at the upper settings.

At $250, it's a tough call for me, as I already own a Timeless 95 OC, which easily matches the closeness of shave, but with more comfort. The eye opener is that my Fat-Boy at 6 equaled the shave of the Rex at 3.5, so with both around half way up their adjustable range or a little over, the shave was darn similar, but the Fat-Boy was actually smoother and more comfortable feeling, especially on the mustache area. (I can also shave the mustache area with the Fat-Boy set all the way to 9, where it wasn't possible at 5 with the Rex). Even as I type this, I'm noticing the Rex side of my face is just a tiny bit sensitive in spots, while there's no perceivable sensitivity on the Timeless side, making my decision easier, I'd probably take a pass, unless it was at one heck of a discount. Now I'm not saying I'd turn one down, only that I don't think I'd spend the $250 asking price, but say $100-$125 on eBay for a used one in good shape, would surely be a temping buy.

Last edited:
I also want to join the next group.
I sent a PM few days ago but didn't receive the response so hopefully posting here will help
Thanks

4/22/19

Group One:

3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
8. @cyberdog (in hand testing)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (on deck)
2. @Cut Throat (in the hole)
3. @herbert7890
4. @JWK1
5. @amateriat
6. @valthun
7. @WarriorMonk
8. @shaversnapper

Reserve List:
1. @ram57
2. @Chef Glenn
3. @SolidSnake03
4. @DCP
5. @cgr86
6. @Parallax
7. @Badger in the Sun
8. @‘Bout Time
9. @BBS-1
10. @Magboy Creations
11. @vadim
12. @jldallas
13. @johnwick
14. @Olegausany
15. @ryinzana

It's with a smooth face, that I finished my time with Rex, with it now heading to CzechCzar, who should have it in 2-3 days. (It needs to traverse from NJ to CA).

Haven't posted the last couple of days, but have given it a good run through and even a couple of comparison shaves, against a couple of my stalwart razors. If you've read prior posts, the Rex is somewhat blade sensitive, and I found for me, a Nacet was a perfect match, much better than a GSB or Astra blade, with the latter two feeling more harsh with a scraping feeling than a smooth cutting feeling.

Something to keep in mind as the Rex reaches those following me, it works better (smoother feeling) at a bit shallower angle than some other razors, which places the handle a bit farther from your face than you'd expect....sort of ride the cap just a bit, like you would with some of the Gillette razors. You'll also get a more efficient shave doing so, as I could get a nice BBS shave in three passes set at around 3, although I did have it shift up to 3.5 and near 4 a couple of times. - Same thing happens with my QShave from time to time.

I was curios to see how it felt against a couple of my other razors, and did manage a couple of shave-offs between them the past couple of days. If you've ever shaved with a Fat-Boy, the Rex on 3-3.5 shaves VERY similar to the Fat-Boy on 6 in closeness of shave or efficiency, but with a bit more blade feel or perhaps a tiny bit less smooth feeling. This was with both razors loaded with a Nacet on it's 2nd shave. Crank the Rex wide open and it is ultimately a little more efficient than the Fat-Boy on 9, however, the Rex is also quite a bit less smooth/comfortable than the Fat-Boy cranked open. Even at 3-3.5, there's quite a bit more blade going ATG on the mustache area. Not to say the Rex is harsh, as I can think of several razors which I found much harsher feeling, the Timeless Bronze OC and Pearl OC some to mind immediately. Unless you're forgoing a 3-pass shave, there isn't really a need to crank it wide open, provided you have a sharp blade. (While the GSB didn't yield a lasting BBS shave on 3-3.5, the Nacet has no trouble doing so for me).

This morning, right before cleaning, sanitizing, and passing the Rex along to CzechCzar, I did a Rex vs my Timeless 95 OC, which for me is probably the most efficient razor I own. I set the Rex on 5, still with that Nacet blade, as well as moving the Nacet from the Fat-Boy into my Timeless. (Both having the same shave count on them). The Rex hung in there with the Timeless, and after the first pass, both sides of my face felt pretty similar with the same amount of growth removed. Both gave a very good first pass, with a slight edge in smoothness going to the Timeless.

I re-lathered and performed a 2nd pass, XTG, ear to nose on the face and strait up on the neck. Again, both sides seem fairly similar afterwards, although the Timeless side looks a bit shinier in the mirror. The Timeless again also felt just a bit smoother in making this pass, but it wasn't a huge difference, and the Rex wasn't harsh per se, just more blade feel than the Timeless.

Now to lather again for the money pass, ATG, jaw line up on the face, and angled on the neck. On the cheeks and neck, both razors performed well, with the Timeless feeling a bit smoother, until I got to the upper lip, the dreaded mustache area, also known as the most sensitive part of my face to shave. I simply could not go strait ATG, lip to nose with the Rex on 5, I tired during my earlier shaves and caused a couple of nicks, and I could tell it was going to happen again as I tried to shift from an angled swipe to directly upwards. Rather than risk another nasty nick, as I received on Friday, I used the Timeless to go ATG on the mustache area on the Rex side, just with a slightly steeper angle without any problem.

So my final observation or take on the Rex, is it's a beautiful razor, love the knurling and grip in my hand, and it is capable of yielding a very close shave. That said, there's something in the geometry or head design that above around 3-3.5, I cannot go ATG in the mustache area. Of course, we're talking about an adjustable razor, so just turn the bugger down for that sensitive area, and we're all good....perhaps not quite as close a shave, but certainly close enough, and it's only the ATG on that area where that rough/scraping feeling rears its head, and I tired super steep, shallow, which didn't feel as harsh, but also left weepers and a nick in it's wake. Overall I like the Rex, and would absolutely keep it down to around 3-3.5 as a daily shaver, it definitely gets noticeably less comfortable and smooth at the upper settings.

At $250, it's a tough call for me, as I already own a Timeless 95 OC, which easily matches the closeness of shave, but with more comfort. The eye opener is that my Fat-Boy at 6 equaled the shave of the Rex at 3.5, so with both around half way up their adjustable range or a little over, the shave was darn similar, but the Fat-Boy was actually smoother and more comfortable feeling, especially on the mustache area. (I can also shave the mustache area with the Fat-Boy set all the way to 9, where it wasn't possible at 5 with the Rex). Even as I type this, I'm noticing the Rex side of my face is just a tiny bit sensitive in spots, while there's no perceivable sensitivity on the Timeless side, making my decision easier, I'd probably take a pass, unless it was at one heck of a discount. Now I'm not saying I'd turn one down, only that I don't think I'd spend the $250 asking price, but say $100-$125 on eBay for a used one in good shape, would surely be a temping buy.

Nice overall assessment. :thumbup1:

Tour is on hold Gents due to some technical difficulties with the delivery service. Will post soon enough once I get more info on an attempted tracer and recovery for the package.

Later Gents......

Tour is back on as the razor has been found.

4/29/19

Group One:

3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
8. @cyberdog (completed)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (in hand testing)
2. @Cut Throat (on deck)
3. @herbert7890 (in the hole)
4. @JWK1
5. @amateriat
6. @valthun
7. @WarriorMonk
8. @shaversnapper

Reserve List:
1. @ram57
2. @Chef Glenn
3. @SolidSnake03
4. @DCP
5. @cgr86
6. @Parallax
7. @Badger in the Sun
8. @‘Bout Time
9. @BBS-1
10. @Magboy Creations
11. @vadim
12. @jldallas
13. @johnwick
14. @Olegausany
15. @ryinzana

@CzechCzar, any status updates concerning your time with the razor? There has been no word of an update or your intent since the confirmed delivery. Any info would be appreciated as to keep the members on the tour list informed on the natural progression of your time with the razor.

To all who are participating and those that would like to potentially participate in the future, it is important to at least post in the thread that you have possession of the razor. Regardless of how you want to report your thoughts or experiences, be it daily or just once after you get all your shaves and time in with razor, a friendly post and mention on what your planned mode of progress while experiencing the razor would be most helpful and courteous to all.

Happy shaves everyone.....:shaving:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Gentlemen,

I am so sorry I have been away! I have the Rex and plan to send it to the next person on the list early next week!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just me, but there is zero chance that I could ever go a week without shaving.
1. I can't stand stubble on my face
2. After all these years, I still get too excited to play with my shaving toys to not shave every day.

God bless you and your commitment to this project!

Top Bottom