What's new

Rex Ambassador US Tour pass around...

Can i ask a question about the Rex?

When the blade is loaded, and the setting put to low, when looking at the side of blade, does anyone's have a slight curve along the cutting edge. The guard and top cap are perfectly in alignment and level, but the blade appears to have a slight bow, essentially making the 'centre of the edge' more aggressive the the outside edges. Hope this makes sense, and will try to get a photo later today.

I think I see this too. I'm not sure I can get a picture, though. I have the latest batch, N3.
Can i ask a question about the Rex?

When the blade is loaded, and the setting put to low, when looking at the side of blade, does anyone's have a slight curve along the cutting edge. The guard and top cap are perfectly in alignment and level, but the blade appears to have a slight bow, essentially making the 'centre of the edge' more aggressive the the outside edges. Hope this makes sense, and will try to get a photo later today.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Well, my first impression wasn't positive when comparing to the Rockwell I had been using. Definitely has more bite and blade exposure even when set to the most mild setting. I haven't had the opportunity to try any of the other Rex batches to compare.

How about you?
Mine is also N3 batch. Does it affect your shave do you think?

Last edited:
Well, my first impression wasn't positive when comparing to the Rockwell I had been using. Definitely has more bite and blade exposure even when set to the most mild setting. I haven't had the opportunity to try any of the other batches to compare.

How about you?
Firstly, that photo you added is an excellent one to demonstrate my point.

I've had mine for about a week and used it for all bar one non-shave day since. My cheeks shave really well in any direction, but from my use so far, the neck is for some reason getting a little beating. This "could" be due to getting some pimples on my left side of my neck which seemed to get sliced off each day.

The last 2 days, i reduced the setting to the minimum, but still ended up the same way, so this is why i thought, maybe its the 'curve' of the blade causing it.

That's my impression too. I have hair around my adams apple that swirls and this razor snags there, Rockwell doesn't.

There might be a mild bend in the top cap, from what I can tell...
Firstly, that photo you added is an excellent one to demonstrate my point.

I've had mine for about a week and used it for all bar one non-shave day since. My cheeks shave really well in any direction, but from my use so far, the neck is for some reason getting a little beating. This "could" be due to getting some pimples on my left side of my neck which seemed to get sliced off each day.

The last 2 days, i reduced the setting to the minimum, but still ended up the same way, so this is why i thought, maybe its the 'curve' of the blade causing it.

I had issues with my first Rex. I contacted Matt at RE and he made it right. I would contact Matt and email the pics.

Alright, so I picked the REX up from my Mailbox Monday night and had my first shave with it last night. Thank you @GlazedBoker for giving us the great opportunity to test run the REX razor. My last shave was Sunday night with a very efficient razor. So I started with 2 days growth. I have had a Gibbs razor for the last couple of weeks and had 4-5 shaves with it mostly on setting 4.5 and decided to go with the same setting.

SOTD 2018-10-16.jpeg

Gear:
REX Ambassador set to 4.5 with a new Polsilver SI blade
PAA Cube Preshave Soap
Paladin High Rise Beehive Honey Noir 26 mm 2CLSD5
RazoRock Alum Block (not pictured)
Barrister and Mann Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood with match Aftershave Splash

My "typical" shave is a 2 pass shave WTG and then XTG ear to nose with additional cleanup under the nose, and I used this shave for my first test run with the razor.

1st Pass - The razor was extremely efficient and mostly smooth. The PolSilver has been a great blade for me, but in the REX at 4.5 it felt "hot" or sharp. There was significant blade feel and good audible feedback on my 2 days of growth. The weight is solid and the razor feels nice in the hand (as well as in adjustment and putting the blade in the razor). In manipulation I did notice that I had some how bumped the adjustment dial and the razor was now lets say 4.8-4.9. I simply readjusted the dial and didn't have another problem. Upon clean up and prep for pass two, I noticed the razor had done an amazing job clearing my growth.

2nd Pass - The razor felt robust and again pretty smooth. I didn't notice as much audible feedback this pass, although as I said it cleared a lot on the first pass. The blade again felt hot. This razor almost made the PolSilver turn into the feel of a Feather blade. I noticed some irritation on this pass and had 4 weepers and one nick that felt like the razor bit me. It is my first shave with the razor and I am still getting to know it. I had a similar experience with my Timeless SS 0.95 SB the first shave and haven't had another poor performance since. I am hoping the REX will be the same. Upon final clean up the result was an extremely smooth BBS shave with some irritation. There was some sting with the Alum block and significant sting with the aftershave. Now 14 hours later there is slight regrowth but the REX gave a very good shave that lasted a long time. As always this was my experience with the listed gear yesterday and YMMV.

I am hoping to have enough growth to try the razor again tonight and will go with a milder setting. I will be back. Thanks again.

Being the other side of the pond meant I was not eligible for the pass around, but the reviews this razor has received resulted in me picking a Rex up whilst they were briefly in stock over here. As many of the reviews state I have found the razor to be extremely efficient and I now need only do two passes to get a DFS. Four shaves in and loving the razor. As for settings my first two shaves were at 2 but last two have been at 1.5.

When the blade is loaded, and the setting put to low, when looking at the side of blade, does anyone's have a slight curve along the cutting edge.

Re the curve in the cutting edge, my N3 does not appear to have this issue.

Thanks for letting me know. I’ve been in touch with Matt from RE who is looking after me!
Good to hear. Matt has been very good to deal with, at least in my case he has always been willing to listen and accept criticism for products and service under the RE banner. A gentleman and class act in my experiences.

Good luck with your razor issues and a speedy turn around...... :thumbup1:

Being the other side of the pond meant I was not eligible for the pass around, but the reviews this razor has received resulted in me picking a Rex up whilst they were briefly in stock over here. As many of the reviews state I have found the razor to be extremely efficient and I now need only do two passes to get a DFS. Four shaves in and loving the razor. As for settings my first two shaves were at 2 but last two have been at 1.5.

Re the curve in the cutting edge, my N3 does not appear to have this issue.

Bravo..... Glad to hear that the razor has been a positive experience. My apologies for not including you boys across the pond. The cost is just extremely prohibitive in linking a US&Euro tour unfortunately. And the postage travel time would be too much to bare.
Happy shaves amigo....:thumbsup:

Update 10/17/18

Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (in hand testing)
8. @Keto (on deck)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262
2. @Grundi
3. @dezmil
4. @Clay S
5. @simon_zzz
6. @Feynmansbongos
7. @emwolf
8. @Heron

2 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 20-22 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Reserve List:

1. @PJO
2. @Odenihy
3. @dfoulk
4. @Clark Finestead
5. @bobmsp
6. @DCRIII
7. @TheVez2
8. @dmshaver
9. @Mataddor
10. @mozartman
11. @boilerphan
12. @Ray Settanta
13. @cyberdog
14. @CzechCzar
15. @Cut Throat

Get your shave on Gents..... :shaving:

Second shave this morning.

SOTD 2018-10-18.jpeg

Gear:
REX Ambassador set to 2.5 with a PolSilver SI 2nd use
PAA Cube Preshave Soap
Carnavis and Richardson with Declaration 28 mm B6 knot
Sudsy Soapery Twice Mint soap
RazoRock alum block (not pictured)
Sudsy Soapery Twice Mint Creamy Aftershave balm

I had a really nice shave with the razor today. It was extremely smooth. The first pass wasn't as efficient as when it was set to 4.5, obviously. However, after two passes and a little clean up under the nose I had a DFS. Not quite the BBS of the other day. But there was not blood today ... no nicks, no weepers. Now 15.5 hours later the regrowth has been very slow. I am still very impressed with the shave. So long and short of it I had a much better experience with the REX set more mild. I would never expect to a single pass shave so the trade offs were well worth the lower setting.

We'll see what happens the next few shaves. Probably going to have to do a shave off against a Gibbs Adjustable and/or Personna Precision

Coming in seriously late for this one, and a heck of an intriguing thread this is...

I'll admit that I'm intrigued just enough to think about asking to be put on the reserve list (if that's still possible at this late a date), although I will say I'm still incredibly sweet on my Parker Variant one full year after getting it, especially since I've just now made my seasonal switch from shave soap (Classic Shaving, Rose and Violet, in turns), to creams for the colder, drier air (D.R. Harris Arlington via the amazing Crown King ceramic scuttle...wow, just wow), so my point of curiosity regarding the Rex is not whether it's nearly five times the razor the Variant is (highly doubtful), but where its strengths and weaknesses are vis-a-vis the Variant. I'm just incredibly happy that there are multiple options in terms of brand-new adjustable razors now.

But, yeah, to mangle a Billy Bragg line, it there's room on that list, I wanna be on it. :)

Top Bottom