What's new

Rex Ambassador US Tour pass around...

For Day 2, I followed the suggestion to dial down to 2 from @ShavePastor.
He's right: just as smooth if not more so, and no loss in efficacy (well, maybe a tad in the tricky spots I mentioned).

Something else I'd like to mention is the size and shape of the cap.
I like how the blade tabs don't protrude at all...the cutting surface is really integrated well into the whole head.
I have to believe this also contributes to smoothness.
Nice write ups. Very helpful as I anticipate my turn in a couple weeks.

I’ve been struggling to get comfortable shaves on my neck since owning mine. Any suggestions to help?

I’ve been using the Rex on about 1.5 down to minimum setting.

I’ve tried riding the guard as opposed to the cap.

Using a Gillette platinum blade.

Thanks in advance.

11/17/18

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (in hand testing)
2. @Grundi (on deck)
3. @dezmil (in the hole)
4. @Clay S
5. @simon_zzz
6. @Feynmansbongos
7. @emwolf
8. @PJO

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @Odenihy
2. @dfoulk
3. @Clark Finestead
4. @bobmsp
5. @DCRIII
6. @TheVez2
7. @dmshaver
8. @Mataddor

Reserve List:
1. @mozartman
2. @boilerphan
3. @Ray Settanta
4. @cyberdog
5. @CzechCzar
6. @Cut Throat

Get your shave on people......... :shaving:

Skipped a day yesterday...in part because I was busy, in part because it was a good way to test the Ambassador on a higher setting.

So I went up to 4, and honestly, I think I like 3 better.
On 4, the razor felt just a touch jumpy, not as smooth.

Strange. I went to 5 today for the first pass, in the name of science, and the results were better than they were on 4 -- no jumpiness. If I had to guess, it was user error yesterday.

Strange. I went to 5 today for the first pass, in the name of science, and the results were better than they were on 4 -- no jumpiness. If I had to guess, it was user error yesterday.

Just thinking, I wonder if maybe your lather wasn't exactly on point. This razor seems to take everything off, even residual slickness. If the lather isn't quite up to snuff this razor will let you know. Could that have been the problem?

Just thinking, I wonder if maybe your lather wasn't exactly on point. This razor seems to take everything off, even residual slickness. If the lather isn't quite up to snuff this razor will let you know. Could that have been the problem?

Excellent point. Bunch of variables in there but, that would be a good starting point.....

Hmmm, taking more notes (thanks, @ShavePastor). Because of the shape of my face and whisker growth pattern, I go over the same areas a couple of times during the same pass; so, I'll pay close attention to this on my turn. (In a nice but selfish way, glad that @Rory1262 and others are discovering these things :001_302:).

Don't think so. I've been using the same brushless product, Andalou, for each shave.
I have noticed no difference in residual slickness (something Andalou scores well on).

The Ambassador box is now on its way to Maine. ETA: Saturday.

I had a last couple of outings with it yesterday (on 3) and today (back on 4).
I think I was quibbling about the "jumpiness" on 4 the first time I tried it on that setting.
Nothing of the sort today, which again leads me to believe that I was doing something just a little off.

The smoothness of this head design really is its outstanding feature.
I'll note something else interesting. If you want to shave around a mustache and pick off little areas or stray hairs, you can angle the head slightly and use just a corner. With many razors, that'd be begging for a cut...not with this one.

Would I buy it? Maybe if I came into some mad money or maybe if I sold off some other items. It's tempting.
Razors are like cars, though. You can buy an ordinary vehicle and happily drive every day, or you can pay up for a luxury model if that's what you want and can afford. The budgetary scale is different, of course, but I think the principle is the same.

I think I was quibbling about the "jumpiness" on 4 the first time I tried it on that setting.
Nothing of the sort today, which again leads me to believe that I was doing something just a little off.

I'll note something else interesting. If you want to shave around a mustache and pick off little areas or stray hairs, you can angle the head slightly and use just a corner. With many razors, that'd be begging for a cut...not with this one.

Would I buy it? Maybe if I came into some mad money or maybe if I sold off some other items. It's tempting.
Razors are like cars, though. You can buy an ordinary vehicle and happily drive every day, or you can pay up for a luxury model if that's what you want and can afford. The budgetary scale is different, of course, but I think the principle is the same.

That's a pretty good assessment there my friend. Glad that you got some good, quality shaves in. Hopefully someday you can fit it into your budget...... Thanks for participating. :thumbsup:

That's a good way you said that, probably a good way to think about it too.

Good reviews!! I'm taking in all your discoveries and everyone else's tips!!

We got 5" of fresh fallen snow (winter has come early to our little hamlet) and I'm looking for a bright spot!! The Rex is just the ticket!!

11/21/18

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (en route to)
3. @dezmil (on deck)
4. @Clay S (in the hole)
5. @simon_zzz
6. @Feynmansbongos
7. @emwolf
8. @PJO

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @Odenihy
2. @dfoulk
3. @Clark Finestead
4. @bobmsp
5. @DCRIII
6. @TheVez2
7. @dmshaver
8. @Mataddor

Reserve List:
1. @mozartman
2. @boilerphan
3. @Ray Settanta
4. @cyberdog
5. @CzechCzar
6. @Cut Throat

Get your shave on people......... :shaving:

Wishing All a Happy Thanksgiving. May it be filled with good cheer, eats and laughs.....

9AC02B7E-70F7-4133-B87B-277025AF4F83.gif

Top Bottom