What's new

Rex Ambassador US Tour pass around...

Shave #3 - A Bit Of European Flair

TL;DR - Hmmm, tweaking the settings upset the Alliance, still a DFS but with more irritation

1st Pass: WTG, razor set on 2.75
2nd Pass: ATG, razor set on 2.25
Blade: Pol-silver Super Iridium
Soap: Pre de Provence 63

Overthinking Things: have to say I'm definitely in the "Step Down" camp (lower/milder setting for the ATG pass than the WTG pass). Went in the wrong direction making the ATG more aggressive than Shave#2 (setting on 2.25 today versus 2.0 for Shave#2), and experienced more skin irritation. WTG pass is good in the 2.75 - 3 range with both the Pol-silver and Wilkinson; now I need to lock down the ATG pass.

The Shave: PdP 63 is one of my favorite and consistent soaps...BUT...when paired with the Rex, the Rex seems to eat its slickness for breakfast. Unlike Williams, PdP 63 gave up nearly all its slickness with each stroke so buffing was a bad idea. I also switched to one of the Pol-silver blade from the box. I was able to get a DFS shave, but also had a couple of weepers and more skin irritation than Shave#2, not as much as Shave#1.

Results: a DFS shave but not as comfortable walking away as Shave#2. The skin irritation isn't horrible, just noticeable. I did re-lather for touch ups.

Knurling Observation: I thought the knurling was quite aggressive when I unboxed the Rex, but I really don't notice it during the shave. Irrational fears were not realized; it's all good; we now return you to your regularly scheduled panic!!

YMMV: Shave#2 -> Shave#3 -> Shave#1

11/26/18

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (in hand testing)
3. @dezmil (on deck)
4. @Clay S (in the hole)
5. @simon_zzz
6. @Feynmansbongos
7. @emwolf
8. @Odenihy

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk
2. @Clark Finestead
3. @bobmsp
4. @DCRIII
5. @dmshaver
6. @Mataddor
7. @mozartman
8. @boilerphan

Reserve List:
1. @Ray Settanta
2. @cyberdog
3. @CzechCzar
4. @Cut Throat
5. @herbert7890
6. @JWK1

We have added 2 more forum members to the pass around list, @herbert7890 & @JWK1 per their request. Just to inform those that are following and might be interested in the pass around, all that is needed to sign up is a post here on this same thread or, you can pm me personally at your convenience. Either way gets you on.

Get your shave people...... :shaving:

Shave #4 - Diplomatic Relationship Restored by Amazing Ambassador

TL;DR - Another DFS shave, just about dialed in, but wrapping up my turn

2nd Pass: ATG, with some touch up, razor set on 1.75
Blade: Pol-silver Super Iridium (2)

Overthinking Things: everything involved with my shaves (blade choice, razor setting, soap, angle) have contributed to or detracted from a decent shave. The Rex is definitely a precision instrument that delivers high quality shaves.

The Shave: stayed with PdP 63 as my soap choice, and made sure to re-lather when passing back over the same area. Consistently achieving DFS shaves with this razor, but the degree of DFS is connected to how much skin irritation I'm willing to endure - not the razor's fault at all, just my coarse beard and sensitive skin make the razor's job exacting. This is where the "infinite" adjustments that the Rex allows really shines.

Results: a DFS shave almost as comfortable as Shave#2.

YMMV: Shave#2 ~ Shave#4 -> Shave#3 -> Shave#1

Wrapping Things Up: I love the Rex Ambassador Razor and will most likely purchase one in the future (after scraping together the resources; I'm a bit down on folding money due to the holidays and all). I think this razor is far-and-above well made and very high quality!! Will give the razor a good cleaning and blue-dip, and get it shipped to @dezmil in the next day or two.

Muchas Gracias: Big thank you to @GlazedBoker for sharing this incredible razor with us!! Very grateful to have had a chance to use the Rex Ambassador Razor!!

According to USPS the Rex was expected to be delivered on Monday. Before going through my normal morning routine, I decided to check the status just in case. I'm glad I did. USPS said it was out for delivery. Needless to say, I skipped my morning shave and opted for an afternoon shave with the Rex.

Shave #1

I'll briefly give some background info on my DE shaving history to put my review in context. I have been DE shaving for about a year, starting out with a Merkur 34C and acquiring a few modern and vintage razors along the way. My most used daily driver is the Rockwell 6S, which I acquired after participating in the pass around also sponsored by @GlazedBoker. Recently I have been using the 6S on plate R4.

Now, on to my review.

Initial Impressions:
I am impressed with the build quality of this razor. The craftsmanship and finish are everything that one would expect on a razor in this price range. I find the knurling to be both functional and aesthetically appealing. The weight and balance of the Rex are excellent.

Prep: Since I already showed this morning, I went for a hot towel prep with Cremo applied as pre-shave.
Settings: 3.5/3.0/2.5
Blade: Polsilver SI (1)
Brush: Yaqi Mysterious Space Badger
Soap: Maggard London Barbershop
Aftershave: Maggard London Barbershop

The Shave: I started out with the Rex set on 3.5 for the first WTG pass and then reduced it by 0.5 for each subsequent pass, XTG and X/ATG. My third pass is generally more of a hybrid of XTG, in the opposite direction of the previous XTG, and ATG. After the first pass, I took note of the previous warnings about this razor removing more residual slickness than many other. I also found this to be true. I heeded the warning to avoid the temptation of going back over any previously shaved area without first reapplying lather. The result was a nice shave, DFS with very little irritation. That slight irritation I chalk up to just not being completely familiar with the razor, and I fully expect that to improve in my next shaves. I found it pretty intuitive to find the correct angle with this razor.

Next Shave: My next shave will be tomorrow morning before church. I'll decide for sure then, but I'm thinking of taking a similar approach only starting at 4.0 or 4.5.

upload_2018-12-1_18-41-34.png

Shave #4 - Diplomatic Relationship Restored by Amazing Ambassador

TL;DR - Another DFS shave, just about dialed in, but wrapping up my turn

2nd Pass: ATG, with some touch up, razor set on 1.75
Blade: Pol-silver Super Iridium (2)

Overthinking Things: everything involved with my shaves (blade choice, razor setting, soap, angle) have contributed to or detracted from a decent shave. The Rex is definitely a precision instrument that delivers high quality shaves.

The Shave: stayed with PdP 63 as my soap choice, and made sure to re-lather when passing back over the same area. Consistently achieving DFS shaves with this razor, but the degree of DFS is connected to how much skin irritation I'm willing to endure - not the razor's fault at all, just my coarse beard and sensitive skin make the razor's job exacting. This is where the "infinite" adjustments that the Rex allows really shines.

Results: a DFS shave almost as comfortable as Shave#2.

YMMV: Shave#2 ~ Shave#4 -> Shave#3 -> Shave#1

Wrapping Things Up: I love the Rex Ambassador Razor and will most likely purchase one in the future (after scraping together the resources; I'm a bit down on folding money due to the holidays and all). I think this razor is far-and-above well made and very high quality!! Will give the razor a good cleaning and blue-dip, and get it shipped to @dezmil in the next day or two.

Muchas Gracias: Big thank you to @GlazedBoker for sharing this incredible razor with us!! Very grateful to have had a chance to use the Rex Ambassador Razor!!

My pleasure and as always very informed and detailed write ups my friend.

According to USPS the Rex was expected to be delivered on Monday. Before going through my normal morning routine, I decided to check the status just in case. I'm glad I did. USPS said it was out for delivery. Needless to say, I skipped my morning shave and opted for an afternoon shave with the Rex.

Shave #1

I'll briefly give some background info on my DE shaving history to put my review in context. I have been DE shaving for about a year, starting out with a Merkur 34C and acquiring a few modern and vintage razors along the way. My most used daily driver is the Rockwell 6S, which I acquired after participating in the pass around also sponsored by @GlazedBoker. Recently I have been using the 6S on plate R4.

Now, on to my review.

Initial Impressions:
I am impressed with the build quality of this razor. The craftsmanship and finish are everything that one would expect on a razor in this price range. I find the knurling to be both functional and aesthetically appealing. The weight and balance of the Rex are excellent.

Prep: Since I already showed this morning, I went for a hot towel prep with Cremo applied as pre-shave.
Settings: 3.5/3.0/2.5
Blade: Polsilver SI (1)
Soap: Maggard London Barbershop
Aftershave: Maggard London Barbershop

The Shave: I started out with the Rex set on 3.5 for the first WTG pass and then reduced it by 0.5 for each subsequent pass, XTG and X/ATG. My third pass is generally more of a hybrid of XTG, in the opposite direction of the previous XTG, and ATG. After the first pass, I took note of the previous warnings about this razor removing more residual slickness than many other. I also found this to be true. I heeded the warning to avoid the temptation of going back over any previously shaved area without first reapplying lather. The result was a nice shave, DFS with very little irritation. That slight irritation I chalk up to just not being completely familiar with the razor, and I fully expect that to improve in my next shaves. I found it pretty intuitive to find the correct angle with this razor.

Next Shave: My next shave will be tomorrow morning before church. I'll decide for sure then, but I'm thinking of taking a similar approach only starting at 4.0 or 4.5.

View attachment 932025

Nice pic and very well done initial trial. Happy shaves amigo....

Shave #2

Settings: 3.0
Blade: Polsilver SI (2)
Soap: Tabac
Aftershave: Duke Cannon Ice Cold Balm

The Shave: There wasn't much to shave off this morning since it hadn't been even a full day since my first outing with the Rex. Given this, I just decided to go with a simple 2-pass shave keeping the setting on the middle of yesterday's shave at 3.0. The result was rather uneventful, in a good way, and DFS. I'm really pleased with the shaves I am getting from this razor.

Next Shave: I'm leaning toward bumping up to a higher setting tomorrow, maybe 4.5 or so.

12/02/18

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (in hand testing)
4. @Clay S (on deck)
5. @simon_zzz (in the hole)
6. @Feynmansbongos
7. @emwolf
8. @Odenihy

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk
2. @Clark Finestead
3. @bobmsp
4. @DCRIII
5. @dmshaver
6. @Mataddor
7. @mozartman
8. @boilerphan

Reserve List:
1. @Ray Settanta
2. @cyberdog
3. @CzechCzar
4. @Cut Throat
5. @herbert7890
6. @JWK1

Get your shave on people...... :shaving:

Shave #2

Settings: 3.0
Blade: Polsilver SI (2)
Soap: Tabac

The Shave: There wasn't much to shave off this morning since it hadn't been even a full day since my first outing with the Rex. Given this, I just decided to go with a simple 2-pass shave keeping the setting on the middle of yesterday's shave at 3.0. The result was rather uneventful, in a good way, and DFS. I'm really pleased with the shaves I am getting from this razor.

Next Shave: I'm leaning toward bumping up to a higher setting tomorrow, maybe 4.5 or so.
Great write-ups, @dezmil!! Very glad that the USPS got this to you quicker than expected!!

Shave #3

Settings: 4.5/3.5/2.5
Blade: Kai (1)
Brush: Maggard Synthetic
Soap: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
Aftershave: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber

The Shave: I wanted to try a different blade in the Rex, and decided on a fresh Kai. I started out on a setting of 4.5 for the first pass, WTG. There was a fair amount more of blade feel on this blade/setting combo than before, but not uncomfortably so. I dialed it back to 3.5 for an XTG pass before doing some cleanup on 2.5. As with the previous days with the Rex, the result was little irritation and a great DFS shave. If used as I daily driver, I don't see much need to go to this high of a setting. It was more aggressive, but with similar results. Since I'm testing the Rex, I don't think I can resist the temptation to dial it all the way up and try the highest setting just to satisfy my curiosity, but I doubt I will do a complete shave (or pass) on that setting.

Next Shave: Not sure yet. I haven't tried lower than 2.5, so maybe I'll start there tomorrow.

Shave #4

Settings: Right-6/5/2.5, Left-3.5/3/2.5
Blade: Kai (2)
Brush: Maggard Synthetic
Soap: Barrister and Mann Leviathan

The Shave: I wanted to compare blade feel between the higher and mid-range settings, so I did half of my face on each. The higher settings on the right, and the lower on the left. The final clean-up pass was done with 2.5 on both sides. As expected, the blade feel was significantly more on the right than on the left, but neither was uncomfortable. Between passes there was little if any difference in stubble reduction. The end result was the same DFS on both sides with a little irritation on both sides. I got a second opinion from my wife, who confirmed that it was a draw.

Next Shave: I'm still wanting to try out the lower settings. Maybe I'll start with 2.5 tomorrow.

By the way, how do you like that Duke Cannon balm?
The Duke Cannon balm is really nice. It has a fair amount of menthol, which I like. The scent is a little strong and medicinal when first applied, but it quickly fades to a light sandalwood & bergamot scent. I highly recommend giving it a try, unless you're a clown. :001_rolle
upload_2018-12-4_17-38-32.png

Shave #5

Settings: 2.5/2.0/1.5
Blade: Kai (3)
Soap: Barrister and Mann Lavanille
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

The Shave: I have been wanting to try out the lower settings, and I'm certainly glad I did. This was the best shave I have had with the Rex. It might be the settings, but I'm certain that my increased familiarity is also a factor. Today's shave was DFS+, comfortable, and smooth with no irritation. What more could a guy ask for from a razor?

Next Shave: I'm thinking I'll do one final shave on the same settings but back to the Polsilver SI blade.

Shave #5

The Shave: I have been wanting to try out the lower settings, and I'm certainly glad I did. This was the best shave I have had with the Rex. It might be the settings, but I'm certain that my increased familiarity is also a factor. Today's shave was DFS+, comfortable, and smooth with no irritation. What more could a guy ask for from a razor?

Next Shave: I'm thinking I'll do one final shave on the same settings but back to the Polsilver SI blade.

This razor more than any other in my stable, never ceases to amaze me at how efficient it is on the lower settings yet still retains ultra smoothness! The end result for me using the 2-3 settings would still be the same BBS as using the 4-6 settings, only it would be much more comfortable and smooth and would not have any irritation, unlike the higher settings. Fantastic razor!

Shave #5

Congrats on a good shave..... :thumbsup:

Shave #6

Settings: 3.0/2.5/2.0
Blade: Polsilver SI (3)
Soap: Stirling Frankincense and Myrrh
Aftershave: Stirling Arkadia Balm

The Shave: For my final shave with the Rex I opted to stay with similar settings as the previous shave, but with the Polsilver SI blade. The result was as good as yesterday's, a smooth DFS+ shave with no irritation.

Final Thoughts: It took me a few outings with the Rex to go from pretty good results to excellent. My initial impressions were that the Rex had a premium build quality and feel. That has only been confirmed over time. The Rex is a solid and beautifully made piece of equipment. The only downside I see with the Rex is the hefty price tag. I'm going to have to think a bit more before deciding if I want to stretch my budget to acquire one, maybe some day.

Thanks @GlazedBoker for the opportunity to try out this awesome razor.

The Rex has been cleaned, packaged, and is on it's way to @Clay S.

[Gets cot and sleeping bag]
[Goes to mailbox]
[Camps out]
[Shields eyes from the glare with right hand, looking for mail truck]
[Quickly casts a glance behind. Making sure it's not sneaking up on him]

Top Bottom